0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

I was thankful that I was able to board the 6.30 PM train and occupy a seat as it was overly crowded. The problem was the 6 o’clock train had been cancelled as power had been cut following heavy rains earlier in the evening. I have to introduce myself! I am Pinto who has a degree in art. I am tall and fair and people say I have a winning smile always. My resume has been sent to a French art school and I was told I would likely be awarded a scholarship to study art further in that country. How am I dressed? I have on a blue T-shirt over grey pants. Now in the over-crowded compartment I heard a female in a red sari shouting “You fellow, you groped me.” A volley of abuse followed.

The young fellow with a red beard standing near me said “Lady, the train is nearing the next station and people wanting to exit pushed me when I bumped into you. I’m sorry for what happened.”

“Don’t try to defend your action. I can see you have a filthy mind and filthier hands which wandered over me.”

A slightly elder woman, standing nearby, said “Sister, don’t make a big issue of what happened. What the man said is true.” She paused and added “We’re women and generally shouldn’t magnify embarrassing small accidents attaching motives.”

Red sari shouted “I feel bad that being a female you choose to defend that fellow instead of supporting me.. Would you keep quiet if he had done it to you? This man who is seated here saw what had happened.”

She was pointing to me. I said “Madam, I was struggling to breathe here because of overcrowding. I saw nothing.”

Red sari said “You men are all alike. You will gang together against women. You can’t deny you saw this man fall over me and .........”

The senior woman said “I again say don’t say such things and create a fuss.”

Red sari said “There is no hope for women in this country.”

Red beard turned to me and said “Sir, I’m a student and had no intention of even touching that lady.”

The elder woman said “OK,OK. Let us not pursue this matter further.”

The train halted at the next station. Red sari found a seat in the other end of the compartment and moved away. My journey took 45 minutes and as I was getting off, red beard also got off. He merely smiled at me and went his way.

I now got a phone call and answered. It was my fiancée Jaz who said “Will you bring dinner for us from Woodys?”

“Sure. I will.”

I walked into the next road and entered Woodys which is a very popular place for diners. As expected, there was a big throng of customers. I ordered 2 dinners and paid when I was given the token number 33 to collect the dinner. I found that 21 had just been served and resolved to wait. Just then Sen who was the delivery man waved to me. I gave him my token. He called out to 22 but there was no response. Sen said pointing “This is exactly what you want. You could take it instead of 22.”

An amazon of a woman now swooped on Sen and started shouting that Sen had no power to allot food meant for some other.

He said “Madam, the person who ordered it is missing and the order is identical to what Mr.Pinto wants and so I offered it to him. He has been a regular customer.”

“You can’t do that. I’ll talk to the manager.” She left the place.

She was back with the manager and said “Sen allotted food ordered by someone else to Pinto. Isn’t that irregular? Who knows if money changes hands in these types of adjustments.”

The manager said “Sen, you can see that this lady has a valid point. You shouldn’t hereafter use your discretion in handling orders. If you persist I’ll deal with it very seriously.” He then said “Sen what about this lady’s order?”

Sen said “She has placed a big order. It will be ready in another half an hour.”

The manager said “Madam, please sit here till your order is ready. Sen get her a glass of juice.”

The lady said “I’ll wait. Thank you for offering me juice. If I want it I’ll order it. No need for it to be served to me as courtesy.”

I walked out of Woodys  and  stood studying the forthcoming attractions  in the theatre nearby. After a while I went back when Sen saw me and called me to deliver my order. He said “It is the habit of that woman to complain about something or other wherever she goes. The manager also knows about it. He went through the ritual of warning me in her presence. Different people, different natures!”

Leaving Woodys, I walked towards the building where Jaz lived. She lived in the 4trh floor of a large apartment complex. The door was opened by Jaz as soon as I had rung the bell. She was wearing a flowered skirt with a well-cut and embroidered top and it suited her. I said “You look transformed in your dress. You beauty has been enhanced.”

She looked delighted as she said “My mother brought this dress for me from Holland last week. I told you my parents were back after spending a few weeks with my brother and his family there.”

I held out the dinner packages when she said “Please sit down. I’m in the process of heating soup which we can have before dinner.”

She disappeared within and was soon back with hot soup. As we sipped it I said “Jaz, tastes very nice. I must compliment you for your cooking too.”

“No need. This soup also came from Holland. I only heated it to serve.”

“Anyway I like it.”

She offered me more soup which I took. I said “You said your parents would come home from the party around 9.”

“They will be here any time now. May be dinner took longer. Now let us have dinner.”

Woodys food was always tasty and Jaz had microwaved it to be hot. As I was relishing the meatloaf, the doorbell rang. I said “I’ll attend. Must be your parents.”

“No. Someone else. My parents have the door keys.”

I opened the door and was amazed to see red sari of the train standing outside. She said “You!”

I said “You too!”

“I’ve come to see Jaz.”

Jaz came to the door and said “Pinto meet my neighbour Sandy. Sandy this is my fiancé Pinto.”

I said “I’ve met her already. Only I didn’t know her name.”

Jaz looked at me with suspicion. I told her “I only met her probably a couple of hours before. I’ll tell you all about it.”

Jaz said “Sandy is the manager of a business which is part of a multinational company. She has a reputation of being a go getter and of being very tough.”

I said “I believe you. She’s just what business needs.”

Sandy said “Mr.Pinto I’m sorry for what happened on the train. Jaz I’ve come to tell you that I’ll be going to the Philippines on business next week and so our group’s get together is cancelled.”

Jaz said “That is okay. We’ll meet after your return at your convenience.”

“Bye Jaz! Bye Pinto!”

After her exit we finished dinner during which I explained what had happened on the train. Jaz said “I’m not surprised. Sandy is even trained in the martial arts and can be very offensive when needed. Now come with me to the TV room. I’ll show you the pictures of tulip fields from Kuekenhof gardens in Lisse, Holland which my mother brought me. Very captivating! She told me we should go to Holland for our honeymoon. My brother has already invited us.”

I joined her and we sat watching spellbound the beautiful natural scenery of Holland.

END

April 18, 2021 10:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.