The Legendary Beginning Of Christopher Willis

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

My name is Christopher Willis and my whole life I’ve felt nothing but out of the ordinary. It all started about two years ago when I was riding my bicycle home from school. It was a red bike with a rusty metal latch on the front, it was always missing something but I could never quite remember what it was. The tires were firm enough to take the shortcut through the woods off Baxterly, I remember that day; Dan Axterboe stole my glasses and crushed them beneath his dirty sneakers. It wasn’t the best route but it was the safest way to get home, so I took it.

               The sky was bright, and I don’t mean that kind of bright you get from a sunny day. I mean the sky was literally illuminating, and the clouds seemed like they were moving faster than they should have been. The weather forecast was calling for clear skies all week, but within a few seconds it fell darker than I had ever seen it before, it happened so fast I couldn’t believe my own eyes. Gusts of wind broke through the trees and whirled the leaves up into a whistle. I stopped riding my bike, there’s just some things in life you’ve got to see, even if it means you’re going to get rained on.

               A ring of clouds circled right above me in the sky storming great colors of green, purple and orange. Within seconds a strong sharp flash fell through the middle of that circle, knocking me to the ground. There was a loud ringing in my ears and a sudden urge to throw up. I had just been struck by a mysterious light falling out of the sky. At first I thought I was struck by lightning, but it didn’t hurt like electricity.

Exactly one week later my whole world was turned upside down, and strange things began to happen. It was seven fifty nine in the morning, and I was grabbing my last book from my locker for the first class of the day, biology. Dan Axterboe walks down the hallway with his loud footsteps, sending a shudder down Ricky Johnsons back. I watched as he dropped the clutter he was holding all over the floor. Dan Axterboe was going to punch his lights out for looking at him right in the eye, and this made me really angry.

               A large surge of energy lifted from my body, causing the school to shake and the lights to blow. I watched as Dan Axterboe ran out of the building, and get stuck behind the hundreds of other students flooding the exits. After about a minute it stopped, and I knew that that surge of energy had come from me, but everyone was convinced it was an earth quake.

               That day I rode home from school, I was too afraid to take my shortcut through the woods so I stuck to the back roads to stay out of sight. Unfortunately Dan caught glimpse of me, and before I knew it, him and is posse were chasing me down the back alley off Nicks. I was riding so fast over the bumpy cement, but it was too much for my tires to handle and the back one popped. I gradually slowed down as the sound of deflation came to a complete stop. I turned around to see how close they were, and ran into the fence.

               Each one rode up and took a swing at my face, then shimmied down the drive to go find their next victim. It all happened so fast my head was spinning out of control, so I kind of layed there for a minute, but then I got up because I didn’t want them coming back. A purple smoke like electricity emerged from the palm of my hand. It stood there and gestured like fire of some sort. I stared at it, completely freaked out, then it bolted. A few seconds later came Dan Axterboe and his posse running down the street screaming for their lives. Then I passed out because I was so utterly confused the world felt like it stopped spinning.

                                                                                            Now

               Today it’s much different, I know who I am and what I am meant to be. You see, two years ago I was hit with an intergalactic falling nova. This gave me the ability to wield the strongest energy ever known to man. I surge it from my hands, and it can allow me to create a smoke and mirror affect. I can make vehicles, hover boards, and even weapons. But the coolest part of this whole thing is somehow I am able to manipulate gravity. Sometimes when I see a homeless man in an alley I split the gravity under me and make it look like I’m being abducted.

               I do use my powers for good though, I promise. They actually call me the Verse, I fight bad guys and save people that need to be helped. I’m all over the news these days, especially after I used my super gravity powers and saved a plane from crashing, it was kind of just floating there. The sea is a bit tricky though. I mean think about it, if I were to manipulate its gravity then the water would come up and it would just make a big mess everywhere and we don’t want that.

               I’m still learning how to handle the cards I’ve been dealt, and let me tell you it is not easy. I’ve made dangerous enemies and brought out scary creatures. But I’m not afraid of the big bad bullies anymore, not even if you took my powers away. I know that I can become a great hero, and a new inspiration for those who grew up just like me. Believing the world was small, and that it was only ever going to get smaller. Today is a new day, and I am going to use it for the greater good. 

July 04, 2020 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.