0 comments

Friendship Happy Fiction

You had the whole week off and you couldn’t even spend five minutes with her yet you take the other two for days at a time. You wonder why she doesn’t run to you or scream your name when she sees you. She doesn’t really know you anymore nor you her. You use to come over every weekend or every other weekend and spend the day with just her. You use to pay attention to her and play with her now it seems like your phone is more important. She asks for your attention but you give it to the other two more and she sees it. It not only hurts her but it hurts me as well. I want you to be close with her to have the bond again that y’all use to have. However it seems like you just want to drop in when its convenient for you, when you can make a big show about how great you are. I’m use to it. I’m use to being the outcast, the outsider, the mistake but she isn’t. I see how you treat the other two, how you take them places and have fun sleepovers yet with her you don’t and you always make excuses why instead of just trying. That’s what you need to do is try but I know you won’t. No matter how many times I ask or beg or plead you will still ignore us. You will still choose everyone else.

Rebecca looked at the letter over and over again making sure it said what she wanted it to. Satisfied she saved the document and closed her laptop. Rebecca wouldn’t send the letter or even print it out. It was more of a way to coop to express herself without getting more hurt in the process. So she wrote letters whenever she needed to vent. Mind cleared and feeling more relaxed she walked to her bedroom window and watched her daughter outside playing with her best friend. It had been a long difficult year for them all but Rebecca was determined to make this new year better. She wasn’t going to let things bother her.

“Mom, mom! Look what we found!” Her daughter Lily yelled running through the front door with her best friend, Madi, right behind her.

“What is it?” She asked as both girls held out their hands.

“Flowers!” They giggled in unison.

“Oh those are beautiful. I love the purple ones” Rebecca smiled at the girls.

“Can we press them for my mom to use?” Madi asked.

“Sure we can. I’ll go get a big book.” Rebecca said as she went and got a book that already had some flowers pressing in it. Madi’s mom, Destiny, was a resin artist and used flowers and plants in her art she also was Rebecca’s best friend.

They put the flowers in the book then the girls asked for a snack. Rebecca was cutting up the apples and bananas when her phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hey Beck it’s me. Sorry it’s taking so long but the store lines are crazy.” Destiny said.

“Yeah figured they might be with it being New Year’s Eve and all. This is what we get for deciding to have a party at the last minute.”

“haha yeah your right but we deserve it and so do the girls. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Ok girl. Be safe.” Rebecca hung up the phone and gave the girls their snack. She then cleaned up the kitchen and started making some brownies. Yes, she thought, they deserved to have a little party even if it’s just them. The year had been long and tiring each one experiencing some kind of hardship or heartbreak. The girls might not make it to midnight but they could still celebrate with them.

“Aunt Becks can we paint?” Madi asked.

“Sure. Lily knows where the stuff is.”

Rebecca put the brownies in the oven and went to check on the girls. They were laughing loudly as they painted and Rebecca couldn’t help but smile. Children’s laughter really did help make people happier. Thinking back to what this year was she was glad for everything that happened because it made her stronger and it made her friend stronger…

The beginning of the year started good everyone was happy and healthy. Then Destiny’s husband was gone, not in a way most people think. He left, decided he didn’t want to be a father anymore. Destiny of course was devastated; she had no warning and no income to provide for her and her child. So she had to get a job which wasn’t too bad because she wanted to get one anyway. If it wasn’t for Rebecca babysitting Madi and being Destiny’s shoulder to cry on Destiny feels she wouldn’t have made it through. It was hard on Madi though; she loved her father and missed him. Madi didn’t understand why he would choose to leave and not want her. Lily did her best to be there for her friend but she too is a child and Lily’s father left when she was a baby so she doesn’t remember him. So they just play and not talk about it. Destiny and Madi are stronger and Destiny has a great job that she loves.

Rebecca’s year was mainly about helping Destiny although she struggled too. Her struggle was mostly mental and emotional though. She felt like she couldn’t talk to anyone and felt like her family didn’t want her around. She felt like a failure and a bad mother but then she realized it was just voices that didn’t speak the truth. People telling her these things to get under her skin and make her feel bad about herself. So she started writing the letters and they help a lot. Rebecca found something she loved doing and started working on it.

So even though the year had some bad times it made them all stronger and taught them to believe in themselves.

So here Rebecca sat listening to the girls laughing while brownies are baking and prepare for movies and popcorn. Just then the front door opened and Destiny walked in with pizza and drinks.

“Hey, hey, I’m back” Destiny said.

“Mommy!” Madi yelled and ran into her mother’s arms.

“Ohh pizza! Aunt Des you’re the best!” Lily exclaimed grabbing the box and carrying it to the counter. The girls got a slice then picked out a movie to watch.

“What’s in the oven?” Destiny asked Rebecca.

“Brownies. Felt like baking so I did.”

“Ohh yum, works for me! How was Madi?”

“An angel like always. They picked some flower for you to use. I already have them pressed.”

“You are the bestest”

They ate pizza then stuffed their faces with brownies. The girls crashed right before midnight so Destiny and Rebecca cracked open a bottle of whine and had a glass to toast to the new year.

“Here’s too living our best lives.”

“Here’s too not caring what people say or being bothered by others.”

“Happy New Year!” They shouted in unison while clinking their glasses together.           

January 01, 2022 00:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.