Heartbeat

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story that involves love at first sight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Calm down Trina, calm down. You're almost there. Steady and deep breaths, I thought to myself as I frantically navigate the empty school hallway. The pounding of my heart rang into my ears like a marching band inside my ribcage. I was beginning to feel sweaty and sick and I wanted nothing more to just start packing and head home.

The panic attack that terrorized my body showed no signs of stopping and I could feel my lungs ready to collapse. I was far enough from the busy lunchtime courtyard to not hear the deafening sounds of gossip and chatter. But nonetheless, anxiety still managed to rope it's way around my heart.

Calm down Trina, all you need to do is find an empty classroom. Breathe in and out.

My eyes scan the area looking for some form of sanctuary, but nothing could be found. At this hour, every class in the eight- hundredths  hallway was docked for lunch, and each thick wooden door was locked. I didn't want to risk embarrassment and shame running to the nurse's office again, but at this point it was seriously becoming a big possibility.

Father won't be to thrilled, but I couldn't think about that right now, I just needed a place to gather myself.

Realizing I stopped at one of Huntington Academy's many large windows scattered in several parts of the school, I focus my attention at the Huntington's prize winning greenhouse, distributed by the gardening club themselves, below.

Deciding it was better than the nurse's office, I let my feet guide me downstairs. Entering the greenhouse, I feel an immense weight lift from my shoulders. There was something about the abundance of flowers dancing around the green crystalline structure that left me breathless and a little giddy, in a way I haven't felt in a long time.

An array of flowers laid perfectly in rows as I walk deeper into the greenhouse. The flowers must've just gotten watered, cause droplets that sparkled like diamonds stained the soft petals.

I pause to inhale the sweet scent and feel the most at ease I have ever felt here at the academy.

It took me a moment to register all American golden boy, Jack Huntington staring at me. Holding a Cannes camera, he gave me a small smile, "Hello," he said in a friendly tone.

I didn't respond as panic rolled off me. Seeing the most popular boy and the son of the headmaster triggered something in me that made me feel lightheaded again. Preparing to crash onto the ground I hear a surprised "Hey!" as he rushes over and quickly catches me.

Feeling like a flustered idiot, I try to calm my pounding heart. "Are you alright?" Jack asks as a concerned look graces his pale features.

Dang, why must he be so charming?

"I'm fine," I manage to choke out, "This always happens."

"Is there always someone around to catch you then?" He chuckled with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Great, golden boy just witnessed me being an anxiety-ridden klutz. I had no plans of making any friends here since Father dropped me at Huntington. Now I just came in contact with the richest and most talked about boy in school. The "Prince of Huntington Academy."

Still locked in his embrace I finally get a good look at him. His entire persona reminded me of summertime, his hair was a sunny yellow and his skin creamy like a seashell. When his eyes met mine, I was stunned at how blue they were. Like the color of the ocean and dry ice blended together to make a new hue. 

His lips curled upwards and I felt my heart rate pick up. He had the kind of smile felt warmer than the sun.

I try to smile back, but I was so flustered that my lips curve downwards and I frown at him instead.

I got to get out of here. Releasing myself from his grasp I stand up and dust off my dirtied uniform. "Thanks for your help, I'll be going now."

Jack perked up in surprise, "Leaving? Are you sure? I can escort you to the nurse, if you like."

His friendliness almost made me want to say yes, but the risk of anyone seeing us together was just too high. I have no room for rumors or drama right now, and just being caught with him by my side can be a catalyst for disaster.

"It's okay, really. As I said before these things happen all the time." Jack's still on the ground as I rush toward the glass door, "I'm probably just dehydrated, don't worry about me."

"Wait!" Jack calls after me, "Can I at least get your name?"

I whip around to face him, "What?"

"I don't know your name."

"I'm just a nobody." I try to sound neutral, like it didn't bother me in the slightest, but based on the frown that colored Jack's face, I knew I failed.

"Everyone is a somebody." He said simply.

"Everyone but me, I guess." I say preparing to leave once more.

There's a glint in his eyes as I run from the scene.

It isn't until I'm back inside the endless hallways that I realize my heart was hammering again.

But this time, it wasn't because of a nervous breakdown.

I turn around and contemplate about going back into the greenhouse.

The bell rings signaling me to head to class. As students flooded into the halls, I felt a small pang of regret not telling him my name.



November 20, 2019 06:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.