Watch For The Change In Seasons.

Submitted into Contest #118 in response to: Set your story during a sudden change of season.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Sad Teens & Young Adult

By the river is where the little girl sits, her dress delicately flowing with the current as she rests on the edge of the bank, letting her feet dangle into the crystal clear waters lined with stones. 

Her hair mimics the colors of tigers-eye, its golden colored strands reflecting the sunlight in such a way that sets his heart aflame. He watches her from the forest. The forest which is alive with greens presented in a variety of shades, shades born from the new era of spring waking from it's cold slumber. She hums an innocent tune as her feet splash in the water, her hums are as soft as caramel and ring softly through the air as the bluebirds sing along to her illusionary song. 

She flashes him a malevolent smile and holds out her hand, a seemingly innocent gesture, which he takes without hesitation, a mistake that will cost him his now ending life.

His hand begins to decay as the leaves around him begin to change from green to grey, shriveling as they fall from their trees and onto the ground which is now coated in a heavy layer of frost. The once warm spring breeze now bites at his features in a way that makes the corners of his mouth bleed. He tries to pull his hand away but to no avail, she keeps her firm grasp, maintaining the smile which he imprudently found oh so enticing. His knees feel weak to the point where he can no longer keep himself standing, he collapses at her feet and she looks down at him. Her once beautiful features now resemble those of a demon from hell, her eyes are as black as coal and her skin looks the texture of leather, she wears a wide smile, one that creeps to the very corners of her mouth, revealing teeth which have rotted away and the few that remain are stained black. He looks into its soulless eyes, pleading for the creature's mercy. 

    The beautiful voice which once flowed like caramel has now hardened into a solid block of burnt sugar and butter which suffocates the charming birds, the birds who helped the creature build the cruel illusion used to intrap our foolish protagonist. Her voice claws at his ears like nails meticulously scratching over a mossy green chalkboard, similar to one hung in a lone schoolhouse painted colors of reds whites, slowly chipped away over time revealing the boards beneath, rotted and decayed from years of longevity. 

“How moronic you have to be, to take the hand of a young girl so foolishly.” The creature spits and sputters as it speaks, “I see the boorish and disgusting desires that plague your sickening mind, you must have been so ecstatic to have found such an easy find.” 

    The man shakes his head and lets out a loud and desperate cry, but the creature only smiles as the man displays his pain, “you sound just like the poor innocent soul you took on the cold tile floor of the church. Don’t you remember? How could you forget, she was so small, nobody ever thought you a threat.”

In a blink the creature has gone, leaving the man dispirited and decrepit in his piteous display by the river, on the bank. Snow begins to fall from the now winter sky, which only moments ago was alive with the lively characteristics of spring. He lays in defeat succumbing to the overwhelming sense of peace associated with death. A single tear escapes from his eye, falling down his frozen features and freezing as it shatters against the ground. At last he takes in a final cold and defeated breath. 

This story is told through generations over the years,

With the intent to protect our children and instill new fears.

Beware the woman whose hair mimics tigers-eye,

For the sinners, one shake of her hand, the seasons will change and they will surely die. 

But, those who fell victim to cruelty of the cruel, will set free, a peaceful sleep to save the broken

Save the ones who were kept behind bars and never outspoken.

Many years later the culture has died, leaving warnings lost in the chapters of time. In modern day our new story takes place, a woman sits in a bar humming her tune with a voice as soft as caramel. She minds her own busy slowly sipping at her drink as the men around her watch but never speak. One man, who is bold enough in his abundance of ego, slips his wedding band into his pocket and snakes his hand around her waist. 

He leans in and whispers gently in her ear, “care to join me outside, my dear?” 

She smiles wide, but not for the reason he so disgustingly implies, they both walk outside and he leads her into an alley, pressing her up against the wall and colliding his mouth with hers. 

Her lips are as cold as ice which he finds refreshing on this warm spring day. The air around him becomes strangely frigid and cold as he pulls away from the woman, his eyes widen in horror as he stares at the creature now in front of him.

Ice begins to form at the corners of his mouth and he attempts to run away, but the creature only smiles and says, “your wife and kids are tucked into bed, while you roam about these places of pleasure.” 

Winter begins to violently rage around them, snow falls from the sky which once was kissed with delicate white clouds and breezes filled with pollen. An adulterous pig was found later that morning, forensics puzzled by the ice that dance across his feature, ice which should have been melted long ago by the warmth of the season. 

See what happens when the future generations disregard the stories we told through the years.

They fail to warn their children, they never carry on these new fears. 

I'll tell you now, beware the woman whose hair resembles tiger's eye. 

She still roams today, punishing sinners, changing seasons and ensuring they die. 

Putting those who fell victim to the cruelty of the cruel at ease,

They can breathe easy when they see a change in the leaves. 

November 06, 2021 02:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.