3 comments

Fiction

Rummaging around in the garbage a homeless boy stumbling over something. He falls over face first due to this. As he gathers himself he looks around and doesn’t see what he could have tripped over; instinctively he begins clearing the bags of garbage to find the source.

A pair of legs come into view, at this sight he hesitates. Carefully he steps around the legs and removes more garbage bags slowly. His breath speeds up a little as his heart beats even faster.

Slowly the arms and torso are revealed. Spotting blood on the torso worries him but his curiosity spurs him on. Only one more bag and the head would be revealed but blood can be visibly seen underneath the bag.

He stands up contemplating now and takes a closely look at the body so far. It was clearly from the smooth suppleness of the legs this is or was a woman. The torso and arms only confirmed this further, especially torso. There was no mistaken those lovely beauties, not with them also fully visibly through the jacket she had on.

While from her waist to her knees she had on a skirt it is clearly ruffled and bigger than her. Taking a deep breath, he stretches then bends over once more as he grabs the bag quickly and tosses it aside.

Straightening up he steps back while turning his head and opens his eyes, looking down to the entrance of the alley they were in. Biting his lip he wonders if he should even look to see the face or in if there was a head.

"... … thank you."

His ears perked at this. I must be hearing things he thought.

Cough cough. 'Thank you", a female voice said hoarsely.

Now he turns around but slowly to see the lady lying in front of him. Her face was beaten badly, to the point he didn't know if she was beautiful or ugly at all.

"... You're a gentleman", her voice seemed to smile.

"... Are you alright?"

Hitting himself in the head at such an idiotic question. She laughed but was clearly pained, doing so.

"Sorry, sorry."

"It's okay. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"What's your name?"

"... They call me Raph."

"... Raph… that's a nice name."

"..."

"Raph could I trouble you with something?"

"Anything!"

"Ha ha, ahh thanks", repositionsing herself a bit more upright. " Oh, where's my manners? I'm Claudia, nice to meet you".

Taken aback, Raph looks at Claudia puzzled.

"... … aah-um-um, nice to meet you too."

Raph forces a smile, to this Claudia laughs once more. Seeing her in pain again Raph moves slightly but is stopped by the sight of Claudia's palm as she holds her side and leans back a bit.

"I'm okay-I'm okay."

Raph isn't so sure but he eases back. Claudia smiles and gives her thanks. Buttoning her jacket as she was exposing herself, she began to check her pockets. Grabbing hold of something she takes it out. All Raph can tell is it's a chain.

Opening her wrist just enough to expose the item to herself, she smiles and closes it back.

"Raph, take this", handing the item to Raph. He accepts it with both hands open. It was a locket. Raph stands there a minute admiring the item, taking note of the design that was etched into it.

"W-wh-what do you want me to do with this?"

"Nothing too serious. You just need to deliver that somewhere for me."

"..."

Claudia smiles to reassure Raph.

"Do you know where Saint Isle street is?"

"... … … You mean Night street?"

Annoyed, Claudia replied "... Yes, they do call it that".

Sheepishly Raph asked"... Sorry is it bad to call it that?"

"... Don't worry about it", Claudia sighed. "In any case you know where it is". Raph nodded.

"Good, then once there you'll see a red door. Give it three knocks, wait a second then knock three more times."

"Okay, red door, knock three times, wait then knock three times."

"Yes that's it. Once someone comes, give them the locket and wait for them to return."

"Okay, … um…"

"... Is something wrong?"

"I've been there before but I've never seen a red door."

"..."

Claudia calls Raph closer to her. He comes closer and closer as Claudia becken. Rubbing his face with her finger she commons that he's cute then kisses him softly on the lips. Raph jumps back and falls to the ground.

"I'm sure you'll find the correct door Raph."

"..."

"You need to get going, my life depends on it."

Coming back to reality Raph jumps up and promises to get Claudia the help she needs. He then takes off running down the alley.

"Hehe, so cute."

***

Reaching Night street Raph pauses and begins to carefully look for the red door. He touches his lips remembering the softness of Claudia's lips. His first kiss and judging from how the swelling on her face had gone down a bit he knew she was a looker. Still he doubted her words about a red door.

As he was passing one door he felt his lips tingle. Thinking nothing of it he licks his lips and continues on. He sighs as he reaches the end of that street. Turning around to go back he gets a little light headed.

Balancing himself on the corner wall, he regains his balance and stands up straight. Trying to focus he looks back down the street and notices a red door. He shakes his head in disbelief.

Checking again he sees a red door but how? He was sure he didn't pass any red doors before. Slowly he walks back down the street, checking each door to see if they are red. But it's only the red.

He stands there in awe wondering if he should knock. After breathing a bit he knocked. Staring at the red door while he waited seems to calm his nerves for some reason.

Creak. A man stands in the doorway looking for who had knocked as his eyes shift downward.

“Is there something I can help with?”

“I-I-I was asked to give you this”, handing the locket to this tower of a man that stood before him. Perplexed, the man stares at the locket and then at Raph. He turns and seems to call someone.

“Yes sir.”

“Take this young man to the waiting room. I’m going out for a bit.”

“U-u-um sir, I was just asked to deliver this.”

“... I insist you wait here”, the man’s voice, which was a bit cold, now seemed even colder with a tone that was not asking but commanding. Raph took a big gulp as the young lady the man had called came out to show him in. Refusing was not an option.

***

Raph should have gotten there by now.

Claudia lay there thinking about whether she should have sent Raph but she had no other options at hand. Although it appeared only her face was damaged she knew that her organs were failing. At the time she had kept up a brave face for Raph to not worry but soon after he left she began coughing up the blood she had tried to repress while he was there.

Just as she began coughing once more, footsteps could be heard coming down the alley. She had little strength to defend herself; she could only hope it was Raph.

Sarcastically, “... What do we have here?”

“Go to see you too Victor.”

“I was truly surprised to see this appear in front of me.”

Victor dangles the locket.

“Where’s Raph?”

“... Where’s Raph? I thought you sent him as a sacrifice?”

“... Why would I do that?”

“Look at yourself. It’s clear what you want.”

“Yes, yes and why do you think I would need a sacrifice to ask for help?”

“Claudia-you really love to be tough don’t you. If it wasn’t…”

“Are you going to help me or not?”

“Why else would I come here?… Personally at that.”

He takes out a vial from his jacket pocket.

“As you see. I have what you need.”

“...”

Moving closer he lifts Claudia gently while removing the vial's top. Putting the vial to her lips, she hurriedly drinks the serum. Victor watches her closely as the effects start to show, she was truly close to death. Her body convulses from the jolt of life and healing the serum spreads through her body. When the convulses subside Victor lays her back where she was as he stays there kneeled at her side.

Slowly her eyes open in full bloom.

“Victor?”

“Yes, milady?”

“I need a drink.”

“I have taken the liberty of having that young man prepared for you.”

Claudia suddenly grabs Victor's neck and begins to squeeze as he struggles to get free.

“Victor, didn’t I say he wasn’t food?... Tell me, how do you think he even found you?... No matter, it's not like I didn’t plan for this.”

Releasing Victor, he grasps for breath.

“What do you mean milady?”

Smiling, Claudia stands up. Regaining his composure Victor stands up and fixes his clothes.

***

Victor closes the red door after Claudia enters. Her present is immediately recognized as those present stand and bow in respect. Although she knew it was less her and more her lineage they were bowing to; she hated this as it felt it was not her power but status that garnered respect. There was no doubt though that she was the strongest present, even in her dying state Victor dared not test her.

Quickly Victor called for the young lady to inquire about the young man. Seeing this Claudia chuckled a little.

He must be desperate to stay on my good side. Ha-ha-ha.

Though to Victor’s surprise the young lady informed him that Raph was in the dining room having something to eat. Turning to Claudia, Victor sees the smirk on her face. He bows and offers to take her to Raph but she declines and tells the young lady to do so instead.

Entering the dining hall, there is Raph stuffing his face. Claudia smiles warmly.

I wonder when was the last time he had a decent meal.

Raph notices the young lady and then quickly realizes Claudia is standing next to her. He rushes to finish what he was eating as Claudia approaches and tell him to relax and take his time eating.

“There’s no need to rush Raph. The food’s not going anywhere.”

“...”, he nods his head as the young lady giggles.

“I have some things to attend to so I’ll see you later”, motioning for the young lady. “She will take care of you alright”. Raph nods in agreement.

“Whatever he wants, give it to him. Got it.”

“Yes, milady.”

“Raph, I’ll be going alright.”

Claudia takes her leave to meet with the elders. Her long absence and now her return was sure to have caused a commotion.

***

The sun sets on a long day. Claudia finally breathes a sigh of relief. Having to deal with the elders was something she hated. As she relaxes in her bedroom she calls for Raph.

Sheepishly he enters her room. Claudia pats the spot next to her beckoning Raph to sit.

“So, is it soft?”

“... I-I-I don’t know I-I-I never did anything honest-”

Claudia, bursts out laughing. “Raph-Raph, I didn’t mean these?”, as she cups her breasts.

“Ha-ha-ha-haaa, the look on your face Raph. If you want to touch them I’m not against it.:

“... No-no-no”, Raph hastily gets up.

“See a gentleman”, Claudia calms down a little. “Teasing you is so much fun.”

“...”

“Sit Raph, I meant the bed dummy.”

Taking a seat, he eyes Claudia a bit nervously.

“It’s soft.”

“Good. Now Raph I have another question.”

“What is it?”

“I won’t ask about your parents but do you want to stay here?”

“... Why would you-”

“You can say I’m feeling generous today.”

Raph contemplates what Claudia said but he has reservations about the situation. It is clearly visible on his face. Claudia knows she has to tell him but she’s reluctant to do so.

Thinking back to earlier Raph realizes the door changing to red was weird and the way the people there treated him like royalty was another issue. However it was the fact that the people didn’t seem too tired but got livelier when the night came in and the special wine they were drinking. He had tried to get a glass but no one would let him even catch a whiff. While kind they were especially stern when it came to that wine, otherwise he could have anything he wanted.

Claudia stands up and goes to a chest of drawers and takes out a mirror. Handing it to Raph; he’s confused and simply stares at the mirror but questions what he was seeing. It clearly showed him but Claudia who stood in front of him wasn’t shown at all.

Shaking, Raph looks up at Claudia who is looking at him with glowing eyes and when she smiles fangs can be seen. Raph drops the mirror as Claudia goes back to normal.

“Now you know the truth.”

Raph is beside himself. Claudia is pained by how he cowards. She can only think that this was a mistake. Walking over to the bedroom door she opens it and asks Raph to come with her. Still shaking he dared not refuse.

Claudia leads him to a side room and asks him to have a seat.

“Raph-Raph-RAPH!”

“Yes!!”

“Haaaa, I’m sorry.”

“...”

“Listen to me please. I can send you back if you want to leave.”

“...”

“You will forget this day ever happened… I can assure you no one will harm you.”

Raph’s face brightens to Claudia’s horror. Reluctantly she asks Raph to trust her as she gives him a drink. Slowly he puts it to his head, after drinking the contents he puts the glass down and smiles at Claudia saying it was nice to have met her. Claudia forcefully smiles as Raph loses consciousness, she catches him before his head could hit the table.

***

Raph awakens in the homeless shelter. He is questioned by the authorities there but he has no memory of how he got there or what he was even doing for the prior week. Feeling compassion they let him stay.

Thankful for their kindness Raph works to become an upstanding that the shelter can count on. Over time he remembers a bit of his past and is grateful to have a place to call home. Though in the back of his mind he feels a lingering emotion like he was forgetting something.

Now a manager at the shelter Raph often traversed the city looking for others in need of help but he finds himself drawn to Saint Isles and can’t help but stand in front of the wall there. Stretching out his hand he touches the wall as if expecting it to open like a door. He does this at least once a day when he goes to the city.

“Milady, is this really alright?”

“Victor… quit being nosey.”

“...”

“As long as I can watch him, then I’m fine.”

“Of course milady.”

Claudia spends much of her days waiting to see Raph even once. She dared not let herself enter his field of vision. The drink she gave him was only good as long as she stayed away from him.

January 13, 2023 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Wendy Kaminski
11:32 Jan 18, 2023

Oooh interesting! I kept waiting for a resolution to what was the mystery. I was thinking vampirism, but -- to me, anyway -- it seems all the more interesting that you really don't know, in the end. Mystically enthralling, though! Good story, Keith!

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
23:44 Jan 18, 2023

It is what you were thinking.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:06 Jan 19, 2023

Ahhh cool, I still like that you did "show, not tell," which is really excellent writing. Leaves a little mystery. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.