0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Lesbian

Luvenia "Wrathful" Rogue was not a force to be reckoned with if she was anything at all. She would have two loves her entire life: the sea, and her first mate Almira “Devil’s Charm” Hale. Luvenia occupied her ship with sturdy men and women. She expected nothing less than perfection. If one sailor was not found doing work, she knocked them overboard. If a man committed a sexual act against a woman who did not want it, he was met with the end of her sword, then tossed overboard. If she told you twice, there would be no third time. 

The ship was named The Siren, built to be strong and pretty like it’s Captain. The ship was quick though it lacked space like other vessels. She preferred it, especially if she was dueling the British Imperials. One of her greatest joys was to punch a British soldier in the face, crying into the air, “Down with the bloody boy King!” She ripped her neckline, exposing her right breast to show the officer that he was very much hit by a woman. She returned to her ship, laughing with delight, and into the sunset. 

Despite the dangers, she was happy to be a pirate and free. The open sea was where she belonged, and where she dreamed to stay forever.

………………………………………………………………………………………

Luvenia scanned the open waters with her telescope finding the dot in the distance was a familiar vessel. “We’ll be damned, looks like we’re boarding.” She declared to Almira who was studying her compass. “It’s good old Stormalong. Get ready for the board!” She shouted to the rest of the ship. The crew shouted back an “Aye-Aye!” The sea was meeting the horizon, planning to join the sun. It was deep purple, mixing with crimson red, swirling with pink. When the waves touched the ships, it became its ocean blue for just a moment. Luvenia smiled, adjusting her gleaming red hair to behind her ears. 

“Hmpf, reckon he’s got himself a new wife?” Almira asked her, a massive grin on her face.

“Reckon someone’s got to tolerate him. How else would he survive?”

Almira laughed, shutting her compass, and replaced it in her shirt pocket. The Black Heart Wench met the side of Siren, and the two anchored down. Afton “Mad” Stormalong was an example of how the sea made you withered but rewarded you all the same. He was a giant from his waist to his height, scarred up like used wood, sun-baked, and strong. His hair was thick, grey, and long. He braided it often, though today he wore it free. He marched his way to her. “Wrathful Rogue, what a terrifying sight you are.”

“Ahoy! Like my new hat?” She tipped her British bicorn. “Snagged it off some rascal during a raid.”

“Might take it from you.”

“I dare you, Captain.” She answered. They went below deck to the Captain’s quarters, finding a bottle of rum.

“Ahoy there Devil’s Charm.” He said to the first mate. 

“You look much worse Stormalong.” She replied. 

“Here you deary,” Luvenia handed her a bottle, then onto their alley. “Now, what brings you along.”

“Got a letter of Marquee, issued by the British-”

“Stormalong you traitorous-”

“It’s a mutual enemy, so I’ll make an exception this time. But I came bearing a gift.”

“Last time I got a gift from you I got a rash on my neck.”

“No, no, no, it’s a much better gift!” He retrieved a map, setting it on the desk before taking a long sip of rum. 

“A map?” 

“A map of a treasure I think you’d like. Mentioned it before I’m sure.”

She unfolded the map, scanned it for a second, then looked at him. “You swab-

“What’s it now?” Almira leaned over, seeing the map. She caught the sight, both knowing what it was. 

The Green Eye, hidden in its mother ship now resting on a distant and deserted island, and abandoned by dead men. Its value lied in how many dead pirates had longed, killed, and died for it. Its last owner got lost in the mist, going mad from days without food and water, and had never been found. The day Luvenia heard the tale of it, she said to her partner, if it was the last thing she did she would have that jewel around her neck. Almira seemed elated by the idea. Unfortunately, no one would share a map for its location, until now.

“Where did you get it?” She asked him.

“Met the necessary people. If you don’t want it-”

“Shut your mouth. This is mine

“Just make sure you get it,” He answered. “We’ll make a song and sing till our throats are sore.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………….

They prepared for the island stocked, and ready for anything. Everyone geared for a night’s rest for tomorrow. The Captain remained up, retracing over everything. Almira returned to the quarters, studying her. “Sleep is for the wicked too.” 

“I will sleep when I’m ready,” 

“Some would say that is a lack of trust,” Almira crossed over and began to tie her hair into a braid. 

“I trust them plenty! Stormalong is a slag but he can be helpful sometimes.”

“A slag applies to women.”

“Why can’t it apply to men too?” She objected, feeling Almira’s hands finish the braid, now touching both her shoulders. “Men can be whores too. Not by profession, but they can have the same attitudes.”

“Agreed.” The first mate kissed the top of her head. “Stormalong at very least. Come on, let’s go to bed.”

“Let me finish!” She ordered, pointing at the bed. Her first mate sighed, beginning to remove her clothes for sleep. Luvenia saw her disappointed look. Almira could have been a Siren if she so pleased: long sun-stained brown hair, dreamy eyes, beautiful and smooth as a statue from a museum. The pirate took a deep breath, setting down her quill. “Alright. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.” She undressed and climbed into bed with her. “You’re lucky you’re a looker, you damned woman.”

“Ah, I’m a damned woman now? You’re so rude.” 

“Shut up and go to sleep or I’ll throw you overboard.”

“Oh, will you? Will you toss me overboard? And just who will command your sailors and take care of you?”

The woman said nothing for a moment. “Be damned you, woman, you know me too well.” She smirked when she heard her giggling.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

The morning came sooner than they wanted, Lunervia kissed Almira, as she grabbed her velvety coat to put back on her shoulders. After a mess of breakfast, everyone went to work. It continued as it normally did, Lunervia shouting out her orders. The sailors were used to her shouts, minding her, but not placing it to their emotional capacity. Almira made her rounds around the ship, ensuring everything in order. 

“Captain?” called the youngest Anne, who was clinging to the ship’s side. Anne was an orphan at the tender age of 13, and everyone aboard raised her as their own. She was a curious little thing, not very bright but she tried her best. 

“Aye?”

“Do mermaids exist?” asked Anne, running over to her side to follow. “Georgie says Mermaids are beautiful women with fish tails! And they try to take in ships to crash them!”

“Don’t you listen to him lass!” shouted Helen who was now finishing her mopping. “Mermaids are nothin’ but old sea stories!”

“Hm, I reckon mermaids are real Anne.” Lunervia offered. 

“Really?” Anne’s eyes got wide. 

“Aye, very real. But,” Lunervia bent a little closer, making sure she had Anne’s attention. “They’re not pretty ladies with fishtails. They’re the size of blue whales, and their fin pokes from the water like sharks. Their top half is human enough, but they’re long and wide like giants. They could pluck you from a ship and eat you whole.” Anne’s eyes had not dimmed from her excitement. Lunervia was smirking, “If you spot a whale tail, high on the horizon, well it could be a whale..or very much a mermaid.” Anne ran off to draw up the story. 

“Why are you lying to her Captain?” Helen said to her. “That girl needs a proper education.”

“Ah,” She waved her hand. “Let her dream a little! She’s just a child, children need to believe in those things. Adults don’t get to have the luxury.”

The night waned, and the shifts changed. The woman had her compass and studied the maps, keeping them on track. Almira put everyone to bed, giving Anne a glass of grog before she went to sleep. The Captain remained awake for the night, smelling the salty sea air. She went to bed once the sun returned to the sky. 

………………………………………………………………………………………………

The week drifted by, and they entered a new section of the waters. As the Captain awoke she caught the sounds of shouts above deck. She dashed up, finding the crew looking over the right side. “What the hell are you slags looking at?” She demanded. 

Her first mate handed her a telescope, “You will not believe it.”

She peered through it, finding a sight to behold. Two ships were traveling into the North. One was directly beside the other and giving the first chase. The one giving chase was a British Imperial ship, the ship ahead was flying a Jolly Rodger. 

“Captain?” asked Anne.

“Well, what the hell are you waiting for?” She declared. “Let’s go help ‘em!” Everyone ran to the battle formation, Almira gave her a look. “What? Treasure can wait if I can beat a British soldier!”

“Aye, Captain.”

They began their travel over, but it would be for not. British cannons went into the ship’s side, blowing holes and setting it ablaze. “Bloody hell!” shouted Lunervia. 

“Should we still go, Captain?”

“Survivors might be in the water! And blow out that damned ship!” The Siren arrived on the scene, finding smashed wood and smoke all over. The ship’s wood was becoming cinders. Siren’s cannons sent a few to the Imperial’s way, catching their tails as they began to flee. They hunted for the survivors, finding dead bodies bobbing in the water. At last, they spotted a body that was laying on a wooden board. She was calm, despite the wreckage and horror around them. “Aye lass! Come aboard!” shouted a crew as he tossed her a rope to pull her up. The woman’s eyes caught the rope first. They helped her aboard. They hunted for more, finding no more alive. They all felt the horror of the sight, watching the Jolly Rodger now burning to ash. 

……………………………………………………………………………………………

The woman’s skin was as deep as the ocean floor, eyes full of wisdom beyond the plane of mortals. She stood completely straight, surveying the crew. They took to the Captain’s quarters, handing her different clothes, getting her a bottle of rum. She asked for a glass, which she received. The rum was poured into a semi-clean glass, she tasted it. “Pirate rum is odd.” She concluded. Her voice was a rich baritone, entering your ear and didn’t leave your mind when it entered. 

“Where you from, Miss?” Almira asked her. 

“Hm,” She took another sip. Lunervia tried to mentally place her accent, not from the Caribbean, not from America or the like. “I was traveling away from Britain, we were ambushed.”

“You’re British?” Lunervia asked.

“My mother and father are from Colombia.” She answered. 

“Aye, aye,” She answered. “What were you doing on a pirate ship Miss?”

“Hm, I was traveling as a seer...or perhaps, a good omen.”

“A good omen?”

“We were searching for the Green Eye, but we were intercepted by British forces.”

“The Green Eye,” The Captain scanned the woman a little closer.

“You were doing the same, weren’t you Captain Abram?”

Almira met the Captain’s gaze, seeing her look of confusion and horror. Lunervia took a deep breath, “Haven’t heard that name in a long time. How do you know it?”

“I know many things.” Was her answer. “I’m a seer after all.”

“I don’t believe in seers.” She replied a little sharper. “I believe in what I can see, hear, and smell.”

“And you’re a pirate?” The woman chuckled. “That’s an interesting thing. A pirate that does not believe in folklore.”

“We…” The Captain regained her thoughts. “We can’t be dropping you off anywhere Miss. I’m afraid you’re stuck with us until the Green Eye is on my ship. You’re welcome if you can work.”

Now you sound like a pirate.” 

……………………………………………………………………………………………

The Seer did not speak her name, she was addressed as “Miss,” “Misses,” or “Lady.” She seemed to disappear from the eye as soon as she entered, like a ghost. One minute she was a door frame, the next she was the bow of the ship surveying the ocean. Lunervia put those thoughts from her head, the Green Eye was close, and she wanted it by the end of the week. She became quieter in some ways, barely able to focus on any other thing besides their destination. 

A misty evening surrounded their ship, smelling particularly fishy, the world felt quiet and unnerved. She laid against the wheel for a moment feeling the restlessness of no sleep. “Urghh,” She never got sick after dried fish. A second later, her stomach tangled, making her rush to the side and vomit up dinner. Her legs wobbled until she collapsed onto the deck. “Be damned it all!” She rested on the sides, trying to relax while her heart beat faster and faster. She closed her eyes listening, feeling the sting of the Green Eye just past her reach. She opened her eyes, hearing a more dangerous sound. The smash of a whale’s tail back into the water. She turned over the side, looking into the fog, only to catch a tail in her eye-line. “That’s not a whale-” She snatched her lantern, studying the scene. The whale looked much more like a shark’s fin. It swam closer and closer, dipping down and away. She scoffed, “Fucking beast-” She turned her back.

“Psst,” She stopped. “Pssst,” was a soft voice. 

“Anne,” Lunervia asked, looking around. “Anne? Almira?” She saw neither. “Misses?” 

“Psst, psst, over here.” The voice hissed again. “I want to talk to you.” She turned back to the sea, hearing a woman, seeing her shape clinging to a stone. “Psst, tell me something,”

“By God lass, come on the ship-”

“Shhh,” She ordered. “Shhh, why don’t you come down so I can see you?”

“What....” She made a dash to the deck, feeling the rush of a wet hand capturing her by her waist. “No, no, no, no! Almira! Almira!” She was yanked from her spot and felt the cold rush of the water just past her skin. “AHH!” Her eyes opened, returning to reality onboard the Siren. The misty night began to dawn, she was laying on the deck near the wheel. “Bloody-” She yelped at the sight of the Seer who looked down at her. 

“Interesting idea of a mermaid,” She offered. “I prefer the ones where they’re pretty.”

“I should toss you overboard you witch-” She declared sharply, returning to her feet. 

“You say witch as though it’s a bad thing to be.” She adjusted her skirts. 

What are you then? Tell me so I can call you the opposite!” 

“I can call you many things.” The Seer declared. “But I call you by the name you have chosen. Why won’t you pay me the same honor?”

“Listen here you-”

Captain!” cried Anne from the bow. “Captain land ahoy!” 

“Son of a-” She ran to grab the telescope, pointing at the sandy deserted isle. “Almira!” It took only a few moments before they crashed to the sands, and everyone was piled out to hunt for the Green Eye. “You can stay here or join us,” She said looking at the Seer. “I’ll ignore my anger for now.”

“I do believe I shall come.” She said. 

“Divide the crew, I want this isle combed for treasure!” Small teams went their own ways and began to dig in the sands. The Seer lifted her skirt, touching the crashing waters with her feet. “Hmm,” She smiled. 

“Leave the witch!” Lunervia shouted at the crew. “The Green Eye has to be here! Find the remains of that ship!”

They worked until their limbs ached, barely able to stand or breathe. The Seer remained still in the water, not moving, almost listening to the waves. Anne who had collapsed and fell asleep finally awoke. She set up, catching the sight of the Seer now sitting in the water. She shook off the sand, going to the waves to collect her. “You alright Lady?” She asked. 

“Come into the water,” She said. “You’ll see what I see.”

Anne touched the water, feeling it against her bare feet, looking to the distance. “What are we looking for?” She asked her. 

“You’ll see.”

The work remained, the high tide began to reach the beach. Lunervia felt anger rise in her stomach and chest. “Where is it!? That Stormalong that ugly little-” Her head jerked, seeing Anne standing alone at the waves. “Anne! Anne!” The girl looked over. “What are you doing!?”

“I...I think I know where it is?” She shouted back. 

“What?!” The girl ran over to her, looking up at her, and reached into the Captain’s breast pocket. In her closed hand was a green gem, shaped like a jewel, and beautiful. “Wh..” She took it in her hands, holding it to the light. 

“The Seer had it,” Anne replied. “Said...said she was on the ship that crashed. Said….she wanted to test you...she said...there will be a storm. If we make it back, it’s ours.”

Lunveria looked at the ocean, looked back at the girl, looked at the gem, determining if she wanted to chuck it back to the ocean.

November 14, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.