1 comment

Romance LGBTQ+ Fiction

Adam placed the plates on the dining table, hastily setting the two spoons and forks beside it. He glanced at the clock, 6:53, in seven minutes Troy is going to knock on his apartment door and they’re going to celebrate their third anniversary. It was an interesting thought that they’ve been together for three years. Adam remembered when they first met, on that coffee shop down the block with the bright white neon sign.

The candleholder that he bought from the department store fitted well with the aesthetic that he planned out. A romantic dinner date with a Frank Sinatra record playing in the background. He quickly rushed to the kitchen to check on the pasta soaking in boiling water, the sauce was bubbling inside its pot. Grabbing the strainer, he drained the pasta water. His heart was racing, he was nervous and excited, the progression of the relationship was good and steady, he had no desire to change that up.

Aromatic steam came from the boiling sauce, as Adam lifted the lid, sailing through the kitchen into the rest of the apartment, passing through the divider reaching the dining table all the way to the living room. The smell of tomatoes and basils sitting nice and comfortable on Adam’s polyester sofa. He grabbed two big bowls and began putting the sauce in, then the pasta to the other.

He hurried to the dining table to set the meal down. Arranging and rearranging the table setting to make sure that everything is perfect. A knock on the door perked Adam’s ears.

“Just a minute!” Adam said.

Running to the door, wiping his hands on his dark blue jeans, he stood straight rotating his shoulders and neck releasing any unwanted stress and tension. He grabbed the doorknob and turned it. Troy stood outside his door, with a beaming smile plastered on his face, his short coarse black hair was combed to the side, the crinkles by his deep hazel eyes presented themselves with cute energy that sent blood rushing to Adam’s cheeks. He looked incredibly handsome and Adam thought that he might fall head over heels for him again. In Troy’s left hand was a heart shaped box of presumably chocolates and a bouquet of flowers on the other.

“Do we really have to live up to the stereotype?” Adam inquired as he smiled at him.

“Hey babe, happy anniversary, how are you? And yes, we have to.” Troy said planting a kiss on his cheek.

Troy made his way inside Adam’s apartment, handing him the box of chocolates and the bouquet. The smell of tomatoes and basils still lingered about the apartment, dancing around them. It wafted through the noses of both Adam and Troy.

“The spaghetti smells delicious.” Troy commented as he kissed Adam on the lips. He removed his denim jacket and gave it to Adam.

“Of course,” Adam spoke, placing the jacket on the coat rack. “I made your favorite meal in the whole world.”

As Troy sat down on the table, Adam booted up the Bluetooth speakers to play some Frank Sinatra and went to the kitchen in lightning speed to get the gas lighter. He lighted up the candles, and poured the red wine to their glasses and sat himself trying to catch his breath.

“Bon appétit.” Adam said exhaling, raising his wine glass in the air.

“You’ve really outdone yourself with this.” Troy replied with the same beaming smile. He raised his glass and the clink of their cups signaled to the apartment that they were prepared to eat.

The magnificence of the tangy sweetness of the tomato sauce infused with the minty kick of the basil flooded their taste buds with exquisite and mouth-watering flavor. Their teeth munching on the firm and juicy texture of the ground beef and the chewiness of the spaghetti noodles, a matchmade in heaven, amplifying the density of the sauce giving it form. Coupling their meal is the thick Cabernet Sauvignon, and as they lifted their glass to have a sip of the strong acidic palate of the heavy red wine, a fleeting mutual thought came to them – they both wanted this to last forever.

After dinner, they cleaned up. With Troy washing the dishes and Adam putting them back to their rightful place. The scent of tomatoes and basils with a little bit of alcohol resided inside their mouth, seeping through as they chatted about how their day went and what they plan to do for the rest of the night. As they sat down on the polyester sofa, exchanging affectionate glances and eating the chocolates, Troy spoke of a wonderful idea.

“Let’s watch a movie, we can watch Sunset Boulevard.”

“Ehh, I don’t really feel like watching it tonight,” Adam replied as he placed a piece of chocolate inside his mouth. “We can watch something else though, a chick flick, or a horror movie, you decide.”

Surprised at what Adam said, Troy countered, “What do you mean you don’t wanna watch it? You said it was one of the best movies you’ve ever watch.” Putting a piece of chocolate into his mouth.

As the chocolate stuck to their teeth, it pushed out and eliminated any trace of the dinner they had. Now their breath smelled of the creamy and velvety odor. Their teeth stained and their sweet cravings being satisfied.

“I know, I know, but I don’t feel like watching the movie again tonight.” Adam firm with his stance.

“You know what, I have a better idea, disconnect your phone from the speaker.” Troy stood up and handed Adam’s phone.

“What are you gonna do?” Adam asked.

“Now this is an offer you can’t refuse.”

Troy began swaying, as a mellow pop song resounded throughout the apartment. He looked at Adam with a playful grin, and began waving his body to the sound. Snapping his fingers, moving his hips to the slow rhythm, he reached out his hand towards Adam.

“Come on now.” Troy said with a wink.

Adam now with reddened cheeks, looked at Troy with puppy eyes. The last thing he wanted right now was to dance, his two left feet didn’t allow him no matter how hard he tried. He was pleading with Troy through his eyes, making him see reason that he can’t dance. But unfortunately, Troy was having none of his excuses, and continued moving side to side grooving to the beat in a leisure manner.

“Dance with me.” Troy requested. “No one is here it’s just the two of us.”

With reluctance, Adam stood up, acquiescing to the whims of Troy. He took his glass and chugged the remainder of the wine. Troy gave a cheeky smirk as he approached him. Their hands pressed together, their fingers interlacing a weave of intimacy and sincerity.

“Just follow my lead.” Troy whispered.

Troy placed his left hand on Adam’s waist, rubbing the spot in affirmation and consolation. Their feet began moving, step by step, Adam mirroring Troy’s movements. He looked up at him, Troy being a few inches taller. More of his blood flowed up to his cheeks down to his heart, making erratic beats and skips, out of tune with the music. He let himself be guided, Adam smiled at him, trying his best to calm himself down.

“See it isn’t so bad.” Troy remarked.

They paced around the apartment. The soundwaves of the music carrying the fresh memories, leaving invisible marks on the walls, of this time shared through solace between two people who understand each other. Twirling throughout the night, dizzying themselves until they fell toward the bed where they continued their dance. The sheets conformed with the shapes of their bodies as they let the song guide them. Hush sounds came in sporadic succession in-between the melody, the moon gave approval to the couple by illuminating the room. Their skin blue and fluorescent under the blessing of moonlight, as they laid basking in bliss and contentment.

For three more years, they shared dinner dates and late-night movie marathons. On occasion, Troy would teach Adam how to do the waltz, and Adam would teach Troy how to make his spaghetti. During these passing moments, they spent more time together than before – breaking bread in the morning, warm hugs in the afternoon, whispering secrets in the dead of night. They grew closer to each other – as close as two people possibly could.

Adam blinked as the sunrays hit his sleepy eyes, he yawned and stretched as he let himself out of bed. Stumbling a little bit, he made his way to the kitchen to see what food he could whip up for breakfast. He opened the fridge and saw the leftover spaghetti from last night. Grabbing the pot, he placed it on the stove in low heat. Then he proceeded to the bathroom to relieve himself.

As he made his way out, he went to the living room and sat on the sofa. Reveling in the early light, gilding his skin, the sunshine reflecting off from the ring in his left hand. Adam heard the water in the bathroom running.

He looked around in their new apartment; they weren’t finished with unpacking and unloading. Cardboard boxes strewn across the floor, stacked on top of each other. Files, picture frames, and little trinkets scattered on any available tabletop. Adam stood up and opened one of the boxes. A pile of books came into view, he pulled them out one by one, placing them on the empty bookshelf.

“Good morning.” Troy said from behind.

Troy had a towel wrapped around his waist. He made his way towards Adam and wrapped his arms around his shoulders. Giving him a peck on the cheek.

“What do you want for breakfast?” Adam asked.

“You.” Troy spoke in a low voice.

Adam cringed and scrunched up his nose looking at Troy in delightful astonishment. He chuckled and shook his head, using his hands to release himself from his embrace. Bumping into a box as he walked away from him. The contents spilled across the floor, a heaving mess of knick-knacks and photos flooding the wooden floor.

He knelt down. Troy still wrapped in a bath towel followed suit. They placed back the ornaments bought from flea markets, mementos from different tourist destinations, and pictures of important events in their life. Adam would casually glance at the photos before putting them back. And there was one picture that was in a frame that caught his eye.

“Hey look at this.” Adam said passing the photograph as his fingers brushed the ring on Troy’s left hand.

“Aww, we look great here, you looked very handsome in your suit.” Troy replied handing the picture back.

The photo was inside a wooden frame. Adam took a closer look, admiring the moment captured in the picture. His arms around Troy’s shoulders and Troy’s arms around his waist. Their foreheads touching as orange lights filled the background of the occasion that was frozen in time. They had their eyes closed with ear-to-ear smiles glued to their faces, friends and families were gathered around to witness a wonderful union between two people. Troy scooched over to his side.

“Happy first wedding anniversary.” Troy breaking the silence.

“We already celebrated yesterday.” Adam remarked.

“I know, doesn’t mean we can’t continue celebrating.” Troy gave his beaming smile. He took Adam’s hands and yanked him upward. The towel on his waist fell to the floor.

“You’re insatiable. We haven’t even eaten breakfast yet.” Adam stated.

“We can do that later.” Troy said as he led Adam back to their bedroom.

The sun shined bright, lustrous and gleaming throughout the apartment. The sunlight gilding their skin, leaking through the bedsheets, incandescent and radiant. Adam completely forgetting the pot on the stove.

The sauce bubbled as the heat created pressure with the aid of the cover. Steam escaped out of the nooks and crannies, as the lid rose and fell from the compression, the smell of tomatoes and basils circulated throughout the apartment. Moving through the dining table, tracing its fine-grained surface, onwards to the living room prancing around the cardboard boxes. And finally, to the open door that led to the bedroom, where two people lazed sideways facing each other, feeling the heat of the morning sun caress their skin. The smell of tomatoes and basils jumped in the middle of them, hitting their noses with its strong fragrance.

Adam inhaled the familiar scent, “Oh crap! I forgot to turn off the stove.”

February 17, 2021 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lynn Bigham
18:51 Feb 25, 2021

This is super cute! I loved the characterization of both Troy and Adam. Using smell and food to permeate the scenes really helped ground me in their relationship, and the continuation of the theme through the end really cements the idea of smell and the intersection with memory and emotion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.