A Very Merry Cretaceous Christmas

Submitted into Contest #23 in response to: Write a short story that takes place in a winter cabin.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I walked across the snow as I dragged the pine tree behind. The freezing wind blew my green scarf over my face.  Thick snowflakes fell from the gray sky as I made my way to the cabin. Freezing wind blew on my face, making the tip of my nose numb.

Almost there! Then I can have a nice warm cup of cocoa. I looked behind at the tree. Yep, you’ve outdone yourself this time!

As I stepped up to the porch, I heard barking coming from within the cabin. I opened the door, and Spock jumped on me. “Well, hi, boy,” I said. My Scottish terrier wagged his stub of a tail and licked my face. “Yes, I’m happy to see you too!” He licked my face a couple more times and got down. “Good boy!”

Jake walked in. “Hey, Dad.”

“Hey. Can you help me put this tree up? Right by the back door should do it.”

“Don’t you need a stand first?” He had my brown eyes and my short nose. Jake’s hair was brown and curly, while mine was black and straight.

“Oh, right, the stand should be in the kitchen,” I said and he went in. He came back with the stand and set it down by the door.

“Perfect!” I smiled.

 He lifted the trunk and helped me place the tree in the stand. Once he helped latch it down, he looked at it. “Pretty damn fine looking tree you chopped down.”

“Thanks. Yes, it is if I do say so myself.” I put my arm around his shoulder.

“I’m glad you got some extra time off so we could go on this vacation.”

“Yeah, I had to work overtime to get it, so no complaining if you get cabin fever.” I smiled.

“If I get cabin fever, you’d better watch your back. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”

“Hey, we should watch-“

There was a weird cackling noise outside. Spock ran to the door and started barking.

“What was that?” I asked. I walked over to the front door.

“It sounded like an animal,” Jake replied.

I looked out and saw nothing. I opened the door. “I don’t see anything.” I stepped out and looked around. Nothing. Just snow. I came back in and closed the door.

“Maybe it was a bird.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

He shrugged.

“I’m sure it won’t bother us. Now let’s decorate the tree.”

“Cool!”

“I’ll make hot chocolate while you get the decorations.”

“OK.” He jogged in my room.

 When I came back with two hot chocolates, Jake was rummaging through the box of decorations.

I handed him his hot chocolate.

“Thanks.” He took a sip.

We went to work on the tree, placing ornaments and streaming ribbons on it.

The cackle sounded again.

“So, Dad, I was thinking maybe we could go skiing today?”

“That sounds like a possibility,” I replied, trying to ignore the cackle.

“I bet I’ll beat you down the hill again!”

“Hey, my skis were slightly bent.”

“Uh-huh.” He rolled his eyes.

I gave him a playful slug and drank my hot chocolate.


*         *         *


“Jake, were you checking out that girl?” I teased him at the lift drop-off.

“No.” He turned his head back around.

“Mm-hmm,” I replied, batting my eyes at him while I put on my skis.

 “Whatever.” He rolled his eyes.

We stood in the line and waited until the next lift came. Once it did, we sat down and pulled the safety harnesses down. I stared outside as we moved. The mountains looked gorgeous with snow covering the top. They reminded me of some sort of dessert with ice cream.

“AWESOME!” I exclaimed as we were taken up the mountain.

“They are beautiful, aren’t they?” I said. Jake nodded. Although this was not the first time I saw the mountains from this height, they still mesmerized me.

As the lift passed the top of the hill, we got off. I pushed off with my skis and started zooming down the mountain. “YEEHAW!” I shouted.

“What the hell, Dad?” We’re not from Texas!” Jake yelled.

I didn’t reply. I just smiled and enjoyed speeding down the hill.

A small ramp was coming up. I figured someone left it there. I skied to it and fully extended my body as I soared off it. I flew, the cold air invigorating on my face, then landed a few feet ahead and skied on.

Something caught in my peripheral vision. I turned my head and saw something white through the trees. It darted through them. “What the…” I said. I thought I saw a tail. Whatever it was; it was running down the mountain at the same pace that I was. I heard a low growl. I cautiously began skiing towards it. As I was about to pass a huge tree, it leapt out and made a cackling sound, like some types of birds. I screamed and swerved as a large white creature lunged at me. Cackling echoed throughout the mountains. I glanced at it again and noticed its body was covered in white feathers. Its snout kind of resembled a beak, although it also seemed reptilian in a prehistoric way. It ran on two legs and was as tall as a man. Whatever it was, I was convinced that it was both vicious and dangerous.

“DAD!” Jake screamed as the strange creature looked at him. As he zoomed down, I joined him. We continued skiing for our lives while it chased us. We sped past a group off skiers talking with each other.  The creature snarled and we heard screaming. As we approached a small cliff, we jumped and flew in the cold air. We landed a couple of feet away and continued skiing. It cackled behind us. I took a quick glance behind us and saw that it was keeping pace with us.

We approached more skiers. They saw us and waved. “RUN!” I shouted. We passed them and again heard screaming behind us. We skied for another mile, then saw our cabin coming up. I looked back. “Shit!” It was gaining speed, its head tilted forward. “JAKE!” I shouted as the creature snapped at him. He swerved out of the way. The creature roared, yet it sounded bird-like. It swerved to intercept Jake, but somehow, he caught up to me.

We skied several more feet, then clambered up to the front porch where we kicked our skies off. Flinging the door open, we barreled inside, where I shut and locked the door.

My phone chirped. In utter disbelief, I read the following message sent by the company who owned the ski resort:

EMERGENCY ALERT!  All guests staying at our resort should seek shelter inside immediately. Keep all doors and windows closed and securely locked. There have been reports of a dangerous animal on the mountain. As impossible as this sounds, the animal has been identified as a velociraptor. Its origin is unknown. It is extremely dangerous. Please remain inside.

 Spock stood by us, uttering a low growl with his hackles up. The door banged and we jumped. The handle went down. Of course the velociraptor knows how to open doors. Jurassic Park didn’t lie. The door banged again, and I jumped away. Low muffled growling emerged. The handle lowered again. Another bang erupted, then the handle came back up. Then silence.

Spock kept barking.

I went to the door and looked outside. “It’s OK, Spock, it’s gone.”

He continued barking.

“Spock!"

He stopped.

We waited in silence for a minute, then I eased the door open.

“Dad…” Jake warned.

I poked my head out. Like the last time I looked around, no velociraptor. I crept to the corner and peeked around. Nothing. I went back in and closed the door. “It’s gone."

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I checked around, and it wasn’t there.”

“OK."

“I’m calling the ranger. The resort has probably already called, but maybe they have more information.” I pulled my cell phone out. I looked up the number and called.

On the second ring, someone answered. “Hello, this is Ranger Andy Hogshead. Is it about the velociraptor?”

“Yeah…” I replied, surprised by his question.

“We’ve been getting other complaints about it. We’re sending Animal Control out. Stay inside until further notice.”

“Well, it came in our house.”

“Please keep your doors locked, and stay away from windows.”

“We will. Thanks,” I replied and hung up. “Well. I think he believed me. Other people have called in.”

“Are they doing something about it?”

“Yes, they’re sending someone out.”

“Bet its Animal Control,” Jake scoffed.

“Uh-huh.”

“Wait, seriously?”

“Yes, son.” I rolled my eyes. “I trust they will do their job, but the thought of calling Animal Control on a frickin’ velociraptor…?”

“Do we stay in here until they capture it?”

“Afraid so, don’t worry, we’ll be safe.”


*         *         *

That evening, I was laying on the couch watching Eight Crazy Nights with Spock by my side. I petted him as he laid there with his head down. My phone chirped, so I pulled it out and saw this text message:

We would like to inform our guests that the escaped velociraptor was captured a short time ago.  She is being transported to a secure facility where she will be quarantined and evaluated. Information as to her origin is limited at this time. We do not know if there are more like her, but as this is a possibility, it is recommended that all guests remain inside. Further information will be shared as soon as it is available.

“Jake!” I called.


*         *         *

Later that night, I woke up. My mouth felt dry. I got up and dragged myself into the kitchen. I went to the refrigerator and opened the door when I heard a noise. I stopped and looked around.

“Jake?”  No reply. I crept into the living room.

The living room was freezing. I saw that the front door was wide open. I stepped outside and saw footprints in the snow. They looked bird-like… or maybe reptilian. I walked back in and closed the door. I crept around the room, but it was too dark. I wished I had a flashlight. I looked outside once more then went back to bed.


*         *         *


The next morning, Jake and I were having breakfast on the couch.

“Is something wrong, Dad?”

“Last night, I went to go get a drink when I heard something in the living room.”

“Did you see what it was?”

“No, but the door was opened and I saw large bird-like footprints leading up to the door.”

“It’s loose.”

“Or it could be another one.”

           “What are we gonna do?”


*         *         *


Three days later, I woke up. I rubbed sleep out of my eyes then got out of bed. I yawned and stretched, then walked to the window and stared out at the snow falling down. It’s Christmas, I thought to myself with a little smile.

I put my Die Hard Christmas sweater on then went in the living room and saw Jake on the couch looking at his phone.

“Merry Christmas!!” I exclaimed and gave him a big hug.

“Thank you, Merry Christmas!”

“Wanna open your present now?”

“Do you have to ask?” He smiled.

“But first, let me take a picture of you.”

“Dad!” Jake protested.

I was about to get my phone when we heard footsteps on the roof.

“What’s that?” I asked, looking up at the ceiling. The sound continued for a few more seconds, then stopped. Then we heard something going down the chimney.

“What the hell?” I said.

Then, three heavy breaths occurred. I swear they sounded like HO HO HO!

“Tell me that’s not…”

Its tail started to appear as Spock began to bark furiously. I grabbed his collar and held it tight.

The velociraptor fell in a heap on the fireplace grate. We screamed as it screeched and scrabbled for its footing. It got up and looked at us. Snarling with hunger, it stared at us with yellow reptilian eyes. We inched backwards. The thing watched like it was daring us to make a move. Licking its chops, the raptor crept closer.

“Nice velociraptor...” Jake said.

I looked at the desk beside us and grabbed the first thing I saw.  I threw the coffee mug, and it bounced off the raptor’s head. It cackled.

“Do you want to piss it off some more?” Jake asked.

It leapt up high and landed in front of the door. “Come on.” I urged and we began running the other direction. The raptor snarled behind. We dashed toward the bedroom as we heard it knocking items over. It growled as a loud crash occurred.  We made it to the bedroom, and I yanked the door open. Racing inside, I slammed the door shut and leaned against it. BANG! I felt the door quiver.

           “Shit! What are we gonna do?!” Jake asked.

           I looked around the room for a weapon.

           BANG! The raptor screamed.

Jake crawled under the bed and motioned for me. I dove under the bed and watched. BANG! The door opened. We didn’t make a sound. I saw its white scaly toes as it walked around the room. Its large curvy claw looked like it could tear into our flesh with ease. It snorted as it walked. We waited while it wondered around the room. Please don’t look under here. Shivers shot through my spine. I turned my head and spotted Jake’s baseball bat. Jake brought it with him on this “vacation” because he said it made him feel safe.  Finally, the raptor left the room. I let out a long sigh of relief. I waited a couple more seconds before crawling out and getting to my feet. I quietly closed the door.

We heard barking. “Oh, no!” My heart pounded. I grabbed the baseball bat. I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. The hall and living room (as far as I could see) were empty. No velociraptor. “Come on, let’s go.” We crept into the living room and looked around.

           Spock was nowhere to be found.

           “Spock?” I called in a hushed voice. I walked over to the couch and-

“DAD, LOOK OUT!” Jake shouted. I turned around and bashed the raptor over the head with the bat. It growled as I bolted for the door. We ran out as the raptor chased us. Panting with terror, we dashed through the snow.

We could hear the velociraptor cackling behind us. My heart pounded in my chest as Jake ran in front. I heard barking behind. Oh no, Spock! I looked back and saw him running with the raptor behind. “SPOCK!” I yelled.

We ran about half a mile, then turned and headed towards a frozen lake. Freezing wind nipped at our faces. The velociraptor screamed. I heard its footsteps mashing the snow. 

We were a couple feet from the lake when a snowmobile zoomed towards us. “Get on!” the driver urged. He was wearing a brown coat that suited his mustache.

 Jake and I hopped on. The man revved the snowmobile and drove off as the raptor almost caught up. “Thank you!” I shouted over the engine.

           “No problem.”


*         *         *


             He drove to a ranger cabin and parked next to a tree. Jake and I hopped off and we followed him in. He shut the door and took his coat off. “Hi, my name is Andy Hogshead. That was way too close,” he said with an Australian accent.

             “Yeah, it was. My name is Neil. This is my son, Jake.”

             “How’s your day going?”

           “Wonderful. What are you going to do?” I asked.

           “Capture the little bastard,” the ranger said.

           “How? Do you have a tranq gun?”

           “No, but I have a trap that should do the job.”

           We heard loud crashing noises from a room behind us.

“Bloody hell, I haven’t had time to lock the backdoor!” Hogshead exclaimed.

           We tried to get to a room, but the raptor was already there.

The three of us ran back outside, slamming the door shut, hoping that it was enough to slow the raptor down. Cackling followed behind.

A van pulled up to the cabin and stopped. The passenger door opened and a slightly pudgy woman wearing a lab coat stepped out. The raptor came rushing outside, and stopped when it saw the woman in the lab coat.

“Stay back. Don’t move!” We watched as she held her hands out in front of her. The raptor stared at her.

The velociraptor cackled and snapped its jaws.

“Are you OK? She didn’t hurt you, did she?”

“No, we’re OK,” I replied.

The woman whistled and gestured to the van’s open back door. The raptor snapped and cackled, but jumped inside. A man in a lab coat shut the door behind it.

“Hello, I’m Dr. Michelle Kerry, I’m the head paleobiologist at the Institute of Denver. We’re taking this velociraptor back to our facility.”

 “How did you find it?” Jake asked.

The woman merely waved and got back into the van. As the van drove away, I noticed that the sign on the side of the van said “Ernie’s Plumbing”.

As the van disappeared around a bend, we heard barking, and Spock ran up to us, wagging his tail furiously. 

“Spock! You’re OK!” I picked him up and hugged him.

“Institute of Denver, my ass,” Hogshead snorted. “We’re never going to find out who they were or what the hell they’re up to. Well, that was exciting! I’d better call my boss and tell her they caught the bloke. Merry Christmas!”

 “Thank you. Merry Christmas!” I replied as he started heading back to his cabin. I looked at Jake. “Now, let’s go back to our cabin, clean it up a little, and have Christmas.” I said.

“We’re walking all the way back?”

“Oh, yeah, right… Hogshead!”

January 10, 2020 03:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.