0 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult

The blood of a warrior resides within me. For generations, my ancestors have fought in wars to restore peace. Against those that sought to destroy their wealth, power, virtue, and leaving shards of it buried in the sand. There, in the Motherland, two tribes went to war against one another instead of standing beside each other. No unity, no harmony. These were the Tribes of the Sun and Moon. The Motherland is a vast area based at the heart of the equator. Here, the sun's rays blessed the earth and fuelled the civilians' livelihoods, the richest, purest jewels and minerals were found. 

The Sun Tribe governed the Motherland, keeping possession over the wealth. The Moon Tribe provided security, preventing an invasion from neighbouring lands. This was a way to maintain balance. However, jealousy grew amongst the Moon Tribe. They had the skills to protect and serve, but they wanted more power, they needed to be respected, and they tried to take it by force. I grew listening to my father telling me stories passed from his father, marvelling at the noble nature of the Sun Tribe, thanking my lucky stars that these were simply tales of the old. I didn't want to believe that such ruin existed in this world - but my father told me that history and destiny always find a way to be revealed. 

Slowly, over my childhood and adolescent years, my parents began preparing me for a chapter I couldn't even see. I attended classes for martial arts, etiquette, and social skills. My mother taught me how to allure, how to be elegant, how to exude an energy that was "natural and God-given". I learned how to how to control my spirit, to calm my storms to still water. When I turned 16, my parents didn't allow me to party like my friends at school. Instead, we had a family meal where they gave me a bracelet made with pure emeralds from the Motherland. They told me that I was special, that one day I'd give back to my community and protect like a queen. I didn't know what they were talking about back then. I just never took off the bracelet.

I know what they're talking about now. 

Our family tradition still stands. Every second generation, the firstborn child of every family that descended from one of the ancient tribal leaders, would move back to the Motherland if they didn't live there already. To serve, to maintain peace, when they turn 18. Man or woman, rich or poor, confident, or meek - this was their destiny, should they accept. It was the most honourable title that a young adult could obtain - the ultimate sign of diligence and selflessness. Every second generation, the appointed descendent took their seat beside the tribal leader without fail, they served alongside this leader until they gave up their position.

And now the time has come again to appoint the next group of descendants. My grandfather was born to be a warrior of the Sun Tribe. I am born to be a warrior. I must take up my position today, the day I turn 18. 

***

When my family and I arrived at the Motherland, I was greeted by the masses - people dressed in robes and shawls with intricate geometric patterns, colours of red, gold and white. The sun pierced the sky, immediately scorching my skin, and forcing little beads of sweat to drip down my body. The streets were filled with people of all ages dancing and singing together, the music controlling their movements. Hands slammed on drums, fingers fluttered lightly on flutes. Some people kissed my hands, some of them cupped my cheeks. In their eyes, I was this great heroine, but I was bound to that title merely by blood. Blood I hadn't shed, blood that has never tainted the soil. 

I was led through an entrance behind my great-great grandfather's home - a mansion with elaborate designs decorating the walls, and marble sweeping across the floor. I stared in wonder at how stunning it was, ran my hands across the silver that had been engrained along the staircase. There were portraits of past warriors, men and women who had the same eye shape, the same nose as me. I shared a secret smile with myself and the portrait of my grandfather. The genes are so strong. 

      "You'll love living here, Amber," My father whispered as he draped his arm over my shoulder. "There are so many opportunities for you. This is your home, this will always be your home."

      "And you're ready to just leave me behind?" 

      "You're not being left behind, you're being placed forward. Never forget that." He said.

Upstairs in the room that I had been sent to, my mother and cousins were waiting for me with huge grins - their eyes were so warm and inviting. I knew they were going to dress me and do my makeup. As part of the ceremony, the descendant was to dress in the traditional attire of a Motherland warrior. The curls of my afro were pulled into a high puff at the top of my head. My eyelids and lips were delicately painted a dusty rose. My dress was made of soft pure cotton, that fell gently at my side - a striking red to represent strength in blood.

My mother began sobbing when they had finished. 

      "I'm so proud of you, my daughter. You're going to make a fine protector." 

      "Come on, mother, don't cry please," I told her, gently wiping her tears.

She pulled me into the tightest hug, placing a light kiss on my forehead before they left me alone with my thoughts. I was going to be called to speak in front of the crowd. Something short and simple, but something that would change my life and take me away from everything I had ever known. Girls my age, miles away from the Motherland, continue to study, plan to start their own businesses or work nine to five at clothing stores. I would never identify as one of them. The value that had been placed on my life was present even before I took my first breath. Was that thought horrifying enough to make me change my mind? 

A knock on the door brought me out of my head. My father was waiting to take me downstairs.

      "It's time, Amber."

We stepped outside, and I was left trying to blink away the dark spots in my periphery from glancing too long at the sun. A path had been cleared with all of the people gathered on either side. Men began banging their drums, signalling that I was supposed to make my way to the podium. As I walked along the path, I gazed around at all the people, smiling at me, throwing me words of encouragement - little reminders to show me that this is where I was meant to be. I took my place on the podium, standing beside the current tribal leader. She had beautiful dark skin, contrasted with her dress in white and gold. 

      "Hello, family. It is with great pleasure that I stand before you today, to introduce to you Amber Kamau." Her voice boomed across the land, commanding reverence. 

The crowd roared at the sound of my name. They loved the sound of my name. 

      "For too long, our ancestors have had to fight for us to be safe. Our land has been subject to ruin and destruction. Today, we hope to welcome the newest member of our clan, to stand with me and ensure we never have to feel threatened again." She gestured at me to hold out my hand. I stretched it out obediently. She placed inside of it a bracelet made of gold, almost identical to the one around her wrist. 

     "Amber Kamau, do you accept your position as a warrior of the Sun Tribe." 

I took a deep breath and glanced into the crowd, at all the hopeful faces. 

     "Yes. I accept. For the people of the Motherland, and especially for my father."

I looked over to my father, who was wiping tears from his eyes. I knew that I would make him cry - wasted tears. He didn't know the real reason I stood before all these people.

Everyone in the crowd bowed, everyone except my mother, who was waiting for me to notice her. She was standing amid the mass, with a hand placed in the centre of her chest. I knew that gesture so well - the one she gives when I have made her proud. I smiled at her before placing my hand in the same position. Only she and I knew the truth. 

I am doing this for my father, my real father, who was mercilessly murdered by the Sun Tribe. My real father who had fallen in love with my mother first, but couldn't stay in her life to love her... or me. He was my "current father's" brother. His name was Adamu meaning father of mankind. He was the firstborn child of my grandfather, but according to the rule, his generation had to be skipped. He became mad at the world, so enraged that he planned to override the system, in hopes of still become a warrior. He travelled across the border that separated the two tribes, turning his back on his own. The Moon Tribe were known for possessing powerful magic, one that could only be used when the stars aligned. They pulled the energy that radiated from the stars and used it to show Adamu his future. That he would impregnate my mother before she would marry, before the Sun tribe would kill him for treason, and she would give birth to a daughter - the firstborn of the next generation of warriors of the Moon. 

I know now why the tribes went to war, but just like when I was a child, I still couldn't believe there was so much ruin in this world. My mother helped me to uncover the hidden parts of the ancient history - how the Sun Tribe exploited the innocent civilians of the Moon, took advantage of them, sold, and killed them. To reach great fortune that emits light like the sun. Adamu uncovered a secret that was greater than him, but not beyond me. Every child that comes from me would belong to the Moon Tribe but would go unrecognised. Giving us access to the resources of the Sun Tribe until we are strong enough to achieve full equality.

September 04, 2020 16:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.