0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

 {This story is set on earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is 800 years younger and is evolving.}

Messages come to us in many ways telling us of possible happenings in the future. One way the premonitions come is through our dreams but normally we tend to forget them until later when something happens to make us remember. For instance a person dreamt that he saw someone struggling in water and came to know a week later that a close kin had died in a ship wreck. Zig had a dream and these are his own words: I am flying atop a large bird with a human head, holding on to its neck. Seated behind me are 2 strange women. One of them was clinging to me while the other was holding on to the woman in front. Suddenly one woman drops down in a cascade into my home. I thought it was a very strange dream and wanting to understand if it had any significance consulted the witch.

She asked “Were all of you wearing pareyous?”

“Yes.”

“It shows you were all unharmed. Perhaps your flight was to perhaps go somewhere or somehow escape from some danger. May be you were abducting the women. One woman drops down after slipping from the bird but she doesn’t die. She also somehow reaches your home. That means you’ve escaped perhaps from some place or some great danger but remain united. Coming down in a cascade shows you’ll be showered with wealth.” Zig thanked the witch.

Zig was the son of the local king and was young and handsome. He was very adventurous and would often travel by ship to strange places. He wondered if the dream was the harbinger of good luck.

 A month later, Zig heard of a buried hoard of silver on Roco island. It was said a ship carrying silver bricks had gone on a voyage. There were two versions about what followed regarding the ship. One said that the ship had capsized in a gale and the silver was lost. The other said the captain landed on Roco isle and after burying the silver had killed his crew. It was said he himself was killed by a shark. It was known that several adventurers had tried to find the buried silver but had failed. Zig decided to find the treasure. He left on a ship and near Roco boarded a raft which dropped him on the island as Roco didn’t have a port. It was now early in the morning.

Zig knew that some people lived in the interior and carrying his bag went in search of food and lodging. At a point near the shore he saw a house and knocked on the door. After some delay the door opened and he saw a young woman in the native dress - pareyou - standing with a knife in hand.

Zig introduced himself as a citizen from elsewhere and had come to Roco for the first time. He said “I’m looking for a place to stay in and where I could get food to eat. I’ll pay whatever is charged.”

The woman studied Zig carefully and then said “Come in. I live alone in this house which has 2 rooms. I use that room as a store. I can move in there and you could occupy this room.” She mentioned the charges and he paid in advance. “I’m planning to stay here a few days.”

She nodded and said “I’m Zeema.”

“Where’s your husband?”

She said “He has abandoned me, and the latest I was told was that he was killed in a drunken brawl.”

She changed the topic and said “I’ll cook for you. There is plenty of water in the well alongside for our use. It’s pretty deep. You can draw water with the rope provided.”

“Thanks. “

“Why have you come to Roco?”

“I’ve come looking for.....”

She said “The buried treasure I suppose.”

“You’re right.”

“So many have been here so far but none have been able to find the treasure Perhaps you would be lucky. I’ll go in and cook lunch. You could rest on that bedstead stuffed with straw.”

The rain now started and in a few minutes it started falling in sheets. There was lightning followed by thunder claps

Zeema came and said “Zig I’ve never seen it raining with such fury.” Now in the middle of the sound of thunder, there was some noise inside. She went in to investigate and returning said “Zig, my store room has sprung a big leak. It would be days before I can get the repairer to attend to it.”

He said “Are you suggesting I go elsewhere to stay?”

“Not exactly. I would also have to bed down here. It’s a small place. I can’t help it.”

“I can’t go to another place in this rain. And I’m a stranger to Roco. I’ll stay on with minimum inconvenience to you.”

They had lunch which he found was good and mentioned it. After that he peeped out and saw water had flooded the entire area. Since he couldn’t go out he sat talking to Zeema.

She said “My forefathers have lived here and they built this house. It has become dilapidated and I’m pondering about leaving our traditional locale, Roco.”

He said “I understand. Now that I’ve come to prospect for the buried treasure I need to know possible areas to explore. If some area is promising I can get my men to dig.”

 She nodded. He sat appreciating her youth and her solid curves. He was greatly attracted to her.

She continued her talk and said “I’m very careful about opening the door. Once a bad character came and I attacked him with my knife when he fled. I saw you and concluded that you weren’t that type and so have allowed you in. My husband was a bad character. He would drink, gamble and cohort with other women. In fact it was I who kicked him out of this house. Imagine it was only a few months after our marriage! Just my luck!”

They talked a lot more and she found he was a man she could trust. Night came and she bedded down with him. Both couldn’t sleep for obvious reasons but then nature took its course and they drew close. After that she said “That was a good show. My husband was no good in bed. It’s a long time since I was tumbled. Now I’ll sleep happily.”

The very next day, in the morning, when the rain had subsided a little,  Zig went to the shore. He saw someone lying on the sand and alerted Zeema. She took control of the young woman who lay on the shore, revived her and led her in.

Afterwards she said “This woman is Reema and was travelling by ship with her kin to join her parents elsewhere when there was a storm and the ship sank. Now we’re 3 and have to somehow manage.” She paused and added “She is good-looking and young. I know you’ll be tempted. Considering the circumstances I suppose we could manage.”

The threesome went well. It rained intermittently the next three days whenthere was again more rain. Their the stock of fish was exhausted.  Reema said “I can also net fish.” With help from Zig they had a fine catch.

That day after lunch Zig said “With this hostile weather my plan has failed. I propose to return depending on availability of rafts and ships.”

Zeema said “I can go with you, but what about Reema?”

She said “I can also go with you.”

Zeema appeared unwilling to accept that. Four days later after rains had stopped, a raft with 3 men on it came ashore to repair sails. The ship’s captain was Honta who knew Reema and said he would take them to his ship harboured nearby.

After hours of repair during which the men were fed by Zeema, the raft was ready to go. They reached the ship but found there was no place for two more. Zig said he would take another ship whenever that was possible, but Zeema wouldn’t leave him alone. It was left to Reema to take a later ship. Honta said to Zig “Don’t worry! I’ll arrange for her to be brought safely to you.”

Zeema was happy that Reema was dropped, and was ecstatic when she found Zig was the crown prince. They were in the palatial mansion when after making love she said “I know where the treasure is buried. Go with me and we’ll get it here.”

A few days later Zig chartered a ship and they were about to leave when Reema arrived to face Zeema’s hostility. Reema also wanted to go with them and she was also taken aboard. Reaching Roco, Zeema said “The silver bricks are in the well which is very deep.”

Reema said “I’m willing to go down and look for them.”

Zeema thought that would help in getting rid of Reema who might drown, and agreed. Reema got down with the help of Zig and the bricks were found which were collected at the top. Zeema was very disappointed when Reema climbed out.

Zig said “Reema you were brave and did a great job. We’ve collected several silver bricks and two gold bricks. Zeema, how did you know that the bricks were there?”

“My father had told me in confidence that the captain of the ship carrying the silver had been severely wounded by a shark and had left the loot with him. He it was who had buried the treasure in the well, but he didn’t give it to his son-in-law, my husband, who was a wastrel. Now we have it.”

Zig returned with both women and married them. He reflected back and thought of the witch’s interpretation of his dream which was partly accurate. Only the cascade wasn’t water but gold and silver!

END

.

June 16, 2021 05:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.