0 comments

Fiction Romance

“What do you mean he has a new pie for sale? What kind of pie – sweet or savoury?”

“I don’t know what type it is. I just saw the sign, that’s all”.

“Well go back and sneak in the shop and find out. I need to know”.

Tommy got back on his bike and pedalled off as fast as his little legs would go. He parked his rusty old steed down the road a bit, under a tree and scurried off to the bakery. He waited his chance and when a rather large lady pushed her way through the old doorway he snuggled up against her legs and went in too.

“Hello Mrs. Patterson. What can I get you today?” Jimmy asked with a huge smile lifting up his bushy moustache at each side.

“Oh I fancy something sweet this morning. I’ve been on a diet for a week and it’s time for a treat”. Pointing her wobbly arms over in the direction of the large glass cabinet, she enquired, already salivating at the sight of it, as to what the big pie was at the back.

“That” said Jimmy, knowing already that he was about to sell at least three to the portly Mrs. Pattinson, “is our new sweet treat. It’s called ‘A day’s delight’ and it has a few special ingredients in it. The main one is……

Just as he was about to tell her what was in the pie, Tommy, who was listening intently to the conversation while not being seen, caught sight of his cousin walking through the door. ‘Oh no!’ he thought ‘I can’t let her see me’. Almost crawling out, he slipped through the doorway, unseen and ran to his bike.

“What do you mean you didn’t know what was in this ‘day’s delight’ pie? You were in the shop weren’t you?”

“Don’t get disappointed with me Jessie. My cousin came in and I didn’t want her to see me” Tommy explained, annoyed with him-self for not finding out the ingredients of the pie. But if his cousin had seen him almost lying flat on the shop floor there would have been some explaining to do. And if she knew he was trying to find out ingredients of baking products for the ‘enemy’ all hell would break loose!!

“I’m sorry Tommy. I shouldn’t expect you to be sneaky like that. After all it is your family’s bakery that I’m asking you to spy on. It does seem unfair really. I won’t ask you again….after you find out what’s in the pie. I promise”.

Tommy’s relatives owned the first bakery ever in town. It was a family run business and

Tommy’s great grandparents had started operating it. Their crusty loaves and rolls were well known all around – people would drive for miles to get a ‘high top’ and some custard tarts and the kids looked forward all week to the cupcakes, all soft and fluffy, smothered in white icing and hundreds and thousands. They eventually added more variety of breads and cakes to their list and their apple pies became a ‘signature dish’ for them.

Then along came Jessie. “All that modern baking and the like” the older people, stuck in their ways would say, sneering and snarling like old dogs. “Sour dough indeed – it can’t be good for you weighing that much. AND have you seen the price of it?” “But not only that “one of them added, “She makes mini pizzas….at a bakery. Where does she think she is, Italy?”

But this had been Jessie’s dream – to one day own a bakery. She had always loved to bake. Even as a girl she would stand on a stool up at the bench and sift in the floor and coco and then stir like mad to get the lumps out. “Our Jess won first prise at the annual fair again. She never tires of baking” her dad would tell his work mates proudly. “And we can see who eats all the leftovers” they would tease, pointing to his rather large stomach.

But having your own bakery in a town where the only other one had been here for years, and was unfortunately, popular, made her twice as determined to compete and succeed.

She was a hard worker though and between her and Jack, who she hired as soon as she arrived, they managed to get all the breads and cakes cooked and ready on the shelves for sale every morning.

She met Tommy when she was on her way back from the grain store one day not long after first arriving. His chain had come off his bike and he took a corner too sharply, resulting in his taking a lot of skin off one of his legs and also his chin. She had helped him up and put his bike in her tray at the back of her jeep. As it was close to where she lived, she took him to her house and patched him up. Before Jessie had acted on her life changing dream, she had been a nurse, so was very capable of this sort of thing.

Tommy worked in his cousin’s bakery at weekends and one afternoon after school, but this didn’t stop him from wanting Jess to succeed in her bakery too, and the fact that she also had two dogs was a drawcard because Tommy’s family, all except him were allergic to dogs and cats.

‘Shouldn’t you be getting off to school now” she asked Tommy looking at the clock. “Where does your mum think you are? She’ll be worried”.

“Nah” replied. “She knows where I am” he mumbled, stuffing an odd shaped, jam filled croissant that had been squashed in transit from the oven to the cooling trays into his mouth. Jess let him have it and any other misshapen products. “And she’s heard that you’re really nice” so she doesn’t mind. The fact that Tommy was the youngest of five children, and by a few years, AND never stayed still for long, probably encouraged his mum to let him ride down to Jess’s.

“Who told her I am really nice?” Jess enquired, not thinking that many people really knew who she was. She hadn’t been in town that long and worked seven days a week at the moment, until she got established and could afford to hire more staff.

“Jimmy told her that he liked the look of you” Tommy teased, laughing and walking through the door to get on his bike.

“Who?” she called out, intrigued, but he had gone.

Business was starting to pick up. Jess had received her first order for a ‘selection of petite fours’ for an afternoon tea at the primary school. It was a farewell afternoon tea and someone had recommended the little cakes at the new bakery – very delicate and small enough that you didn’t feel too guilty after eating a couple or three! “Ooh I’m excited Jack” she had exploded with a huge grin on her face when receiving the order. “I know it’s only a dozen and a half but it’s a start”.

She was so grateful to have Jack working for her. A middle aged man with no young children to keep him up in the night or stop him from coming to work at a pastry chef’s very unreasonable and unsociable working hours, was what Jess had hoped for and indeed what she got. His children were all grown up and his grandchildren were the happy and grateful recipients of any leftover cakes and pastries that were not ‘fresh that day’! So it worked out for everyone.

She could rely on Jack to do a good job for her and not only that; he was open minded to the new pastries or biscuits that she tried out on a regular basis.

Even though business was slowly improving, Jess thought the breakthrough came when an elderly lady, dressed as if we were all still living in the 50’s came gingerly into the bakery one morning.

“Good morning” Jess greeted her jauntily. “Can I help you or are you undecided?”

“Well I’m looking for a ….ummm. I can’t remember what I’m looking for. I forget its name. My sister told me that she bought one from here and it was very nice. I think it begins with an ‘M’. She had a light green one, but you can get all colours. Do you know what I mean” she asked searching the cake cabinet with hungry eyes.

“I think I do but we don’t keep them in the cabinet with the cakes because they would only go soft. They are here in this box. I’m sure you mean a ‘Macaron’.

“Yes you are quite correct. That is exactly what I mean, a macaroon” and she peered into a bright array of biscuits arranged in lines of different colours and sitting on a soft white tea towel.

“Which one would you like?” Jess asked her, guessing to herself which colour she thought the elderly lady would take.

“I’ll have the orange macaroon thankyou”

“Would you like your macaron in a bag, or to eat now”.

“I think I will eat it now and see if my sister was correct!”

The lady bit into the soft orange circle of lightness and the ‘mmmm’ sound coming from her mouth, together with the shutting of her eyes as if she was floating, said it all.

“Oh yes, that was like biting into a little cloud of sweetness and that filling sandwiching it together is so creamy” she uttered as she actually licked her lips. I will take four more macaroons back with me please”.

Jess handed the little box over with four different coloured biscuits in it. She was tempted to tell her the correct pronunciation of the word, but didn’t want to spoil the elderly ladies experience, or offend her!

“Thank you my dear” she smiled sweetly and looked at Jess as she headed for the doorway. “I’m just an old lady who is stuck in my ways but as I look around in here I can see the benefits of change. I think there is always room for the old and the new to merge. And I have to agree with jimmy about how pretty you are”. And with that she left.

“Well I really do have to meet this Jimmy guy sometime” Jess said out loud, as the door opened, the bell tinkling and more customers walked in.

“Jack, tell me about the festival that’s on soon. Do we all have a stall and show our goods or what?’

Jack explained that each year the town had a festival where whoever wants to display their arts and crafts or plants or food stuff can. It’s all for sale and there are taste testings happening and freebies to give away. The bakery had a stall with goodies to sell, although this year two bakeries will be showing their wares! It’s a great time for the entire town to get together and have a bit of fun. They have plenty of pony rides, a bouncy castle and side shows for the kids.

“Sounds like a great event to me” Jess told Jack after he had finished explaining about the festival. “So if it’s for the weekend, do we choose which day to set up a stall?”

“Well historically it is the Saturday that the bakery stall is set up and that way we can still bake for the shop for Sunday, maybe just not as much. But that’s up to you really Jess. There are no set rules”.

“No if it has always been Saturday then we should keep it going. I don’t want to be the ‘new kid on the block’ that wants her own way! I’d like to try out a few different cakes and biscuits though – it’ll be good advertising and we can always do with some more of that.

There was an air of excitement around the place. The whole town seemed to be buzzing with enthusiasm and to many it was the highlight of the year. Posters adorned the street corners, shop front door and any place that the notice of the ‘Annual town festival of fun, frivolity and foods to delight everyone’ could be stuck up.

Jess and Jack had been busy trying out new recipes to entice the townspeople with. Jack was amazed at the knowledge Jess had about the latest innovative recipes in cakes and couldn’t believe that the taste of beetroot didn’t come through at all, in a red velvet cupcake! In fact he had to taste at least three until he believed it!

The day of the festival had arrived. The big oval on the outskirts of town, usually dotted with a few dog walkers or children kicking and throwing balls had been transformed into a semi-circle of colourful stalls and tables, owners showing off what they had grown, cooked or proudly made. Signs, some handmade while others had the professional touch gave descriptions and costs of what you could buy from each one. At the back of the stalls to one side was a huge bouncy castle, already alive with small bodies been thrown every which way and lots more lined up for their go.

Jess had her stall set up at the end of one side of the semi-circle. Her and Jack had managed to bring the cake cabinets from the shop and in these were displayed the sponges, tortes, apple pies and other calorie laden but delicious treats. Of course there were loaves of bread, all shapes and sizes in the wicker baskets and a bright sign next to them saying ‘Come and buy me, I’m delicious’. Jess had made mini pizzas, which were now becoming a big hit with the kids of the town. “Well I think we’re organised now Jack. What a team!” and she gave him a daughterly hug, which took him by surprise but put a smile on his face.

Jack had gone off to have a look at the other stalls, leaving Jess to serve. She was going to swap with him so that she could have a look around when he returned.

She had just served a young boy and as he was walking off, cream all over his face after biting into cream puff, a tall dark headed man was heading towards the stall. “Hi there” he said to Jess, a beaming smile lighting up his light blue eyes. “I’ve come to check out what you can tempt me with” and he laughed, his straight white teeth gleaming.

“Wow, he’s gorgeous” thought Jess and blushed as if he could read her thoughts. “Well the red velvet cakes are a little bit special” and she almost added, “like you”.

“On your recommendation then, I shall have one” and he looked straight into her eyes as he added “and if it’s as delicious as you say, I shall be back to see you again”.

She passed him the little paper bag containing the cake and his change, and as she did so, their hands brushed against each other. As if on cue they both looked up at the same time, and smiled. Jess felt as if a tiny shock wave had passed through her hand into her heart. ‘Wow’ was all she could think.

Jack came back, giving Jess a turn to have a good look around. What she was really looking for was the gorgeous guy who seemed to have stolen her heart. “I’ve never felt like this before, it seems ridiculous” she said aloud, when from

behind a voice she recognised said “Hello my dear. I do hope you brought some of those macaroons with you?”

“Oh hello there” Jess replied. “Actually we did bring some maca….macaroons with us. My stall is right at the end that way and she pointed in the direction. I’m just having a walk around but Jack is at our stall. He will be able to help you”.

The lady walked quickly away, on a macaroon mission and Jess continued on, dodging small children darting around in excitement.

“Oh my goodness” she blurted out, surprised but pleased at the same time. There he is. But that’s the other bakery stall. Don’t tell me he’s helping out there and I just sold him a red velvet cake’ Jess said to herself, deciding whether to go over or not. But as her heart hammered in her chest and it also ruled her head, she marched straight over.

“Hello again” Jess said blushing, feeling slightly embarrassed at the thought that he might not even recognise her with her apron off and her hair out of the pony tail. This close, his eyes seemed to sparkle like the ocean on a hot summer’s day. She caught her breath as he answered “Oh it’s the maker of the delectable and delightful red velvet cake. Have you come to compare some of my wares now?’ and at this he laughed and came out from behind the counter.

He held out his hand to her, saying “I’m Jimmy”.

“Oh so you’re from the other bakery” she stammered in surprise, shaking his hand and recognising his name.

“The original bakery actually” he teased. “But I believe in sharing, so welcome to town”.

“Well I’m Jess by the way and I’m pleased to be in this town” she told him, wondering when he was going to let go of her hand, and remembering that he already knew who she was.

They stood looking at each other, sensing that this was just the start of something special. In the silence stare that they shared, a thousand words were running through their minds.

He broke their connection as a prospective buyer walked up to the stall, but before Jess turned to leave, Jimmy said “I’d like you to show me how to make those cakes”.

Smiling she replied, “Any time. At my place”.

December 10, 2020 10:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.