0 comments

Mystery


The city of Madras is in the south of India and had been developed during British rule. It has its population of Anglo-Indians and I was one among them – a male. I was born there to a middle class family. I asked my dad about mother and was told she had passed away shortly after I was born. It was my father who raised me. He put me to school and after I had finished, gave me the option of taking up work or studying further. I chose to become my father’s apprentice in the small workshop he owned servicing automobiles. I had picked up the skills when a strange illness overtook my father  making him stay home. I had to run the workshop alone.

One evening, a white man came walking up to our workshop saying that his Ford car had broken down nearby and wanted to get it repaired. I went with him and in minutes set it right. That was how I made the acquaintance of Bill Roth, an American working for an American firm in Madras. The American was impressed with my capacity as a car mechanic, and regularly came to me for attending to his car. In those early days after British rule, cars were not manufactured in India. Besides, imported spares were not being stocked in adequate quantity for sale by car companies. In the case of Bill Roth’s car, I would usually substitute parts from old cars or make them locally to suit the need. Roth appreciated my ingenuity in keeping his car in good working condition and paid me well. Meanwhile my expenses mounted with my father now being bedridden, and my having to meet his medical bills. As my earnings were meagre I had to take a loan, offering our workshop as collateral. In time the lender foreclosed on the loan and we lost the workshop. Thereafter my father’s health rapidly deteriorated, and he breathed his last in a matter of days. I approached Roth to find me alternate employment to survive, and he made me his chauffeur. I was happy to work for him as he treated me well.

One day Roth said to me “I’m likely to be moved out of India. If you agree, I can get someone I know in America to offer you a job there.”

I said I was ready to go and he helped me to complete all needed paper work. When the time approached to start the journey I had no money for passage. I sold our house and all belongings within it, and knew I could travel. Roth advised me before I sailed: “Work very hard in the USA and you can be a success. I wish you well.” I never saw my benefactor again. I only heard he had been transferred to Cairo.

Newman who had hired me in America was the owner of a popular bar in New Jersey. He gave me space in the premises to stay, and I was asked to clean up the bar every day. In addition I did whatever I was asked to which immensely pleased Newman. He soon made me a bar tender which job I did to the satisfaction of not only Newman, but of customers as well. During this time, a regular customer Chandler was stuck in the bar late night with his car which wouldn’t start. It was raining hard and seeing his plight I went to help him. I had the car starting again and Chandler was very happy.

Seeing me earning much by way of tips and doles from satisfied customers, my colleague Romero attacked me with a knife one day after an unreasonable quarrel. I was stabbed and had several cuts on my body inflicted by him. I had to be hospitalized and Newman himself picked up the bill for my treatment. During my few days of absence I was told Chandler, who was a regular at Newman’s, had made enquiries about me. After I had returned to work, Chandler called me aside one day and said “I work for Ford and that company can offer you a job in Chicago. Say Chandler sent you and you’ve the job. You’ve talent and I’m sure you will do well working there.” I wanted to take up the job, but Newman wouldn’t let me go. Chandler persuaded Newman to relieve me after which I joined Ford’s workforce. I proved I was good at work and my work simplification measures and product innovation ability were greatly appreciated. In a matter of five years I rose to a position paying a fat salary. Needless to say there were ups and downs at work and I had to weather many a storm in the workplace.

All the time I worked I had lived an austere life and my bank balance grew. One day after a decade at work, I felt tired and decided to retire. Ford wouldn’t let me go but finally said I could return if I felt like working again. Not knowing what to do with time, I bought myself a ticket for a round the world trip on the American President line and went on the voyage. It was then that I met the beautiful Irene. I found she had also an eye on me. We would spend time at the pool or having drinks on deck. I learnt that Irene was of mixed Mexican origin and was a widow. She had been married to the American millionaire Hilton. It was known that Hilton had died suddenly of blood cancer.  Like me, she had now chosen to travel round the world due to boredom. In a few days Irene and I were fast friends. I wanted to propose to her but considering the difference in age between us, I wasn’t sure she would accept me. However I did propose to her and was overwhelmed when she accepted.

Back in the USA, Irene invited me to stay in her villa in Tampa, Florida. It was a large place with a spacious garden set with ornamental topiary.  There was a large swimming pool with diving boards. The villa was luxuriously furnished inside and had objet des art which had been acquired by Irene’s late husband. It was staffed to take care of the safety and security of the residents besides for their service. There we made plans for the wedding. For our honeymoon I suggested going to Buffalo and Niagara, but she said ”After my first marriage, Jack and I had that honeymoon. Going there again would disturb me. Instead let us go to Peru and see Machu Picchu. I’ve never been there.” That was agreed to and we were to be exposed to Inca monuments. I used the time with her to savour the delights of a woman for the first time. I had been a little apprehensive about our love life, but the experienced Irene was forward and I easily lost my virgin status. Our wedding took place amid a large attendance of friends and business associates.  

Back in Tampa after our honeymoon, we pooled our resources for greater returns, and resolved to spend our time living in ease.  A year of luxurious living caused her to put on weight and she said “I’ve to shed weight. I need exercise.”

I said “I can order the needed exercise machines to be delivered here.”

“That could be done later. At start I would need guidance of a specialist. Let me join a gym. You could also join me if you like.”

I said “My weight is normal. I don’t need the gym.”

Irene started going to the gym which had the name ‘Haiti’. She said that a former Haitian popularly called Julio had started it. Irene brought Julio home a couple of times and I saw that he was a young man – a giant with great muscles. They would speak Spanish and laugh together, and I could only watch. I didn’t realise then that Irene could fall for Julio. Soon I began to suspect that an affair was brewing between Julio and Irene. I confirmed it and foresaw that Irene would ditch me to possibly wed Julio.

A few days later came the news that Julio and Irene had been killed in a road accident. Julio had obviously been driving his car in an inebriated condition, and had driven in the way of a heavy earth- moving truck going at speed. You can guess who would have paid a contract killer to get rid of Julio!  Irene had been unavoidably sacrificed in the bargain.

END

 

May 18, 2020 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.