50 comments

Mystery Drama

No one really explains to you that only after your cervix dilates to 10 centimeters that the true horror show begins. The mounds of maternity pamphlets, handouts, and books you dutifully study and the endless streams of websites, blogs, and postings you devour will all allude to bearing down, but they don’t really convey the medieval torture of doing crunches for two hours, while spine-breaking contractions make you question if the rest of your life is worth living. Epidurals wear off. Nurses have seen worse. Doctors come and go like it’s a cocktail party. Your husband is trying to be helpful while holding your hand, listening to the foulest of language proceed from your mouth. Monitors beep. Doctors and nurses confer as if you are some bovine livestock stuck in a paddock. Unspeakable things slide out of your body. And then, your baby is born.

No one really explains how all-consuming the moment is when you first lock eyes with your beautiful little creature who has grown under your heart for nine months. Philosophers and therapists will argue about the importance of nature versus nurture. Intellectuals and empiricists will opine about tabula rasa, the baby’s mind as a blank slate, devoid of any sensory experiences. Fools, all. For you peer into your baby’s bluest of eyes and see the eternities. In the idyllic hours of night when you breastfeed, the most sacred of all human transactions, the baby’s hand will reach up and touch your chin. In utter ineffable joy, you promise this child that you’ve spun into existence everything—absolutely everything—knowing full well that loving anything this much will make you vulnerable. Vulnerable to the point that you will feel its pain and double that with your own. The thought of what you will do and will sacrifice for this baby in your arms steels you against what you think you know is coming. It will drive you to your knees in search of an omnipotent, benevolent God who must exist, who must help you with this child. Because if anything happens to this baby with its enormous trusting eyes, you will be unable to bear it. 

No one really explains how confident you are in your parenting abilities when your child turns five years old. You and your husband congratulate yourself for raising a precocious kindergartner who knows how to sound words out: cat mat hat rat bat. You check his folder for green lights (with the occasional yellow light for not walking in a straight line to lunch, but seriously, there are worse crimes.) You secretly judge another mother who brings her child a wrapped snack or toy every day at pickup. Obviously, she is raising a serial killer. As for you and your little man? Snacking on grapes cut in half (to avoid choking), late afternoon T-ball practices (the coach is the epitome of patience), slurping spaghetti like the Lady and the Tramp, and 30 minutes of television before diving into a pile of books. Goodnight Moon. Fox in Socks. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Daddy comes home just in time to tuck a freshly-bathed rascal dressed in Star Wars pajamas into bed. Later over glasses of red wine, you and your husband discuss having more children. In a quiet moment, you tamp down a burgeoning resentment towards your own parents. Sure, they show up occasionally and play some cartoon-version of being grandparents. But how were they so deficient in raising you? It just isn’t that hard. 

No one really explains what a shrill, desperate harpy you become when your son hits adolescence and you are walled off from his life. Yes, Erikson's stages of psychosocial development clearly illuminates his identity versus role confusion. At this point, you will glom on to any cockamamie theory or feel-good philosophy just to find some peace of mind. Otherwise, your mind constantly churns, devising ways to get your son to interact with the family, with the dog, with you, fully knowing you have to let him grow up. You despise yourself for trolling the self-help aisle in the library. You learn words like self-care and letting go. You try to talk to your son about the basic things: wearing deodorant and flossing and washing his hair. How does he come out of the shower smelling worse? Worse, you become what you’ve always hated most: A nag. At school and community events, other parents coo and babble about their little whomever and whatever amazing bullshit their kid is doing. Baton twirling is not a life skill, you want to shriek. At best, it’s a hobby! But you nod, half-listening to their dreams of out of state colleges they cannot afford and to their decisions about whether their teen should join the robotics or debate team. Meanwhile, you watch your son mill around the perimeter of a multipurpose room, where teens gather as far away from adults as possible. You try your best to be discreet, but watch from the corner of your eye. Who is he speaking to? Is that a new girlfriend? Do those boys smoke weed? Do they steal their mother’s prescription pills?

No one really explains how giving you a baby is the perfect cosmic joke, evidence that sentient beings watch carefully—to devise just the thing to destroy you. Bearing down will come to mean a whole different thing, as you, as a parent, have fundamentally switched from being physically tired to being emotionally drained. It will happen sometime in your adult child’s early twenties. It will come in a variety of forms, but it will be expensive. First responders will most likely be involved with accompanying flashing lights, paperwork, court appearances, and/or attorney bills. Hollow-eyed, you will find yourself in the hallways of colleges or public buildings or hospitals or pharmacies, attempting to get answers from a bureaucracy that you could strangle with both of your bare hands. No one will have simple answers. There will be late night phone calls you wish you had not answered and early morning texts you wish you had not seen. The life you nurtured will appear more fragile than even the infant you protected in the blue-black hours of the night. When you have to, you will speak of these events in hyphenated terms: gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, soul-crushing, mind-numbing. As the years pass, these days will not be trifled with. There is no joke here. Your son will forget in the fog of moving forward. You will wear these days as sacks of lead, leaden as the muted heavens who will eventually send the dawn. But not before taking a pound of flesh.

No one really explains the sheer relief you feel when you see your adult child actually accomplish something on their own—anything, for God’s sake. Finish a degree, enroll in a trade school, inquire about the military, see if the local grocery store is hiring. Just get out of bed before dinner. Just stop drinking all of your father’s beer. Just progress, damn it. Anything but picking up the game controller for the billionth time and ordering large cheese pizzas. Eventually, your son lands a job interview and you pepper him with tips that haven’t been relevant in the business world for over a decade. Your son meets a nice girl and makes you promise not to show her embarrassing pictures like him as a toddler waddling naked after a line of ducks by the pond. The line of ducks is linear, but getting him to waddle into adulthood is entirely circuitous. 

No one really explains the transcendent joy of becoming a grandparent, holding a trusting little one who smells like spring and puppies. You see your own son age overnight, changing as the mantle of fatherhood descends. As you prepare to leave his home after holding your grandchild for the first time, the baby fusses. You watch mother and father attempt to soothe the child in a scene as holy as any holiday crèche. If you could, there would be many things to explain to them, to these earnest new parents, but the most important and tenderest things cannot adequately be explained, so instead you leave them in peace. 


July 24, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Elle Clark
21:03 Aug 01, 2020

As a recent mother, the first two paragraphs spoke to me on a cellular level. This is beautifully written and beautifully moving. Your writing voice is captivating, pulling the reader through the narration and through the son’s life. The conflict is dealt with well, too. It gives a bit of a tonal variation without derailing the gentle mood. Great piece of writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie June
01:10 Apr 08, 2021

Wow. I loved the repetition of the same words, "No one really explains..." at the beginning of each paragraph. The ending was spot on. Some things are better never to be explained through words but rather, are better to be learned through experience. I have no other words to describe this piece expect that this was simply beautiful. Well done Deidra.

Reply

01:18 Apr 08, 2021

Wait until you have your own child...nothing more transcendent ❤️

Reply

Valerie June
02:19 Apr 08, 2021

I can only imagine...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Len Mooring
00:17 Aug 19, 2020

Bin there, dun that. I laughed at the first sentence, although with a scrunched up face. I really think you are curing me of this writing lark, I've bought a set of knitting needles. Now if I can just get this plain and peart thing under my belt.

Reply

00:26 Aug 19, 2020

Write, old man. Impart you’re wisdom. ✍️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:32 Aug 15, 2020

this is really good, good job!

Reply

22:56 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks BW :)

Reply

B. W.
23:09 Aug 15, 2020

no problem :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K Rebecca
04:05 Aug 15, 2020

Amazing! Thank you for writing this!

Reply

07:55 Aug 15, 2020

Very cathartic 😔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gary Thurgood
19:41 Aug 14, 2020

Wowowow there isn't enough I could say about this! This was so beautifully written, I absolutely loved it. I think that all of the small details really bring the piece together. It's like a bunch of little vignettes that all add up to a tremendous description of life. It was very moving, super well done.

Reply

19:56 Aug 14, 2020

I appreciate your supportive comments :) Much love

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Whitney Trang
16:50 Aug 14, 2020

The story brought tears to my eyes! Such a sweet and tender story about a parent watch their child grow up.

Reply

08:28 Aug 16, 2020

Parenthood is all so bittersweet and beautiful ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fawn Collins
06:32 Jul 30, 2020

This is a beautiful story! You really captured the mystery here.

Reply

08:17 Jul 30, 2020

Parenting is a TOTAL mystery 🤪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
09:57 Jul 29, 2020

Deidra, wow. I loved this. Keep sharing your creativity and mastery of words with the world. 😍😍

Reply

11:46 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks, Grace. You have strengthened me today ❤️ Best wishes to you on your writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Serine Achache
18:40 Jul 28, 2020

And the cycle continues! Oh my God this is soooooo beautiful I can't even begin to describe how much! I loved it sooooo very much!! Best of luck and keep writing!

Reply

20:04 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to know that I'm not just writing into the void.

Reply

Serine Achache
20:24 Jul 28, 2020

Well I will definitly make sure to read more of you pieces!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:16 Mar 15, 2022

Gladly, I'm not a parent(not only to young but the creation of children and the responsibilities? no thanks), but I got a much better view of why people become parents. It's definitely a beautiful innocent thing, a mother watching her child grow like that.

Reply

16:08 Mar 15, 2022

I read it myself here: https://bluemarblestorytellers.com/podcast-2/ You know If you want to read your own work and have it posted for posterity (or for your mom), you could post here, too. Free.

Reply

16:09 Mar 15, 2022

You may have to be 18, but contact the website.

Reply

Crows_ Garden
16:11 Mar 15, 2022

Oh cool! That sounds awesome. I'll definitely check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crows_ Garden
16:18 Mar 15, 2022

You are really involved in that kind of stuff, it's really cool. Blue Marble mentioned something about artwork being shown too, that's pretty neat!

Reply

16:50 Mar 15, 2022

Yep. Russell is from Australia and I'm from Orlando. We are almost retired and the podcasts are our hobbies :)

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:19 Mar 15, 2022

Oh cool! I plan on doing something similar to that- having a channel on something showing off my stories.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nusa Zam
10:20 Aug 14, 2021

This was the exact dose of wholesomeness that I needed right now :)

Reply

16:39 Aug 14, 2021

The circle of life (cue the Lion King reprise) hahah Thanks for the read :)

Reply

Nusa Zam
17:14 Aug 14, 2021

ahaha! No problem, I can see why it's one of your favs :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
12:17 Jul 07, 2021

This spoke to me in a lot of ways. Beautiful story.

Reply

13:32 Jul 07, 2021

Very cathartic to write! No joy is unalloyed 🌻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoenix LaRue
23:25 Apr 07, 2021

I can see why this story is one of your favorites. It's so tenderly written, and I could really feel every paragraph, instead of just reading them. It made me think about my own mother and all the great things she's done for me and my siblings over the years. She's so much more fantastic than she thinks she is. 😊 Thank you so much for writing this!

Reply

01:17 Apr 08, 2021

You have a very lucky 🍀 mother to have such an appreciative child.

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
02:58 Apr 08, 2021

I do try to show appreciation to her often. She deserves so much more than that, though. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to repay her.

Reply

08:09 Apr 08, 2021

Honestly, moms are totally happy just when their kids are in the room. That’s it. 💯 repayment 😃

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
18:59 Apr 08, 2021

Ah, okay! In that case, I think I've repaid her plenty! 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Kerr
16:43 Aug 30, 2020

Super sweet! The imagery and emotion are amazing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:14 Jul 20, 2023

Is this what my mum has to/is going to go through?? Wow. Parenting must be HARD. Are you a mother? I can't believe that you're not. I really can't believe it. It seems SO real. It's just so amazing. No words. Nothing can say enough. The beginning, until the child is a teenager, makes me really want to have a child. Well, obviously when I'm grown up and married and all that, but it's just amazing that you can influence me like that. The middle is just as good, but sad. Then the end is back to the beginning, completing the cycle of motherho...

Reply

10:24 Jul 20, 2023

Short answer: yes Being a mother is the greatest joy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Black Rose
13:32 Feb 13, 2021

Mystery I see great story, I love mystery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kaylee Tinsley
13:26 Oct 22, 2020

Wow- I think I'm crying! This is one of the best stories I have read in a LONG time. Such an interesting way to answer the prompt!!!

Reply

17:18 Oct 22, 2020

Writing this crushed me. It's every parent's journey...

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
19:02 Oct 22, 2020

I can imagine! Yet you captured that pain beautifully.

Reply

19:49 Oct 22, 2020

It's why you kids drive us CRAZY. We love you too much :)

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:09 Oct 23, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.