Tusks and Dagger Part Twenty: A Tiny Surprise

Written in response to: Fly by the seat of your pants and write a story without a plan.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Dackworth shifted uncomfortably next to me, his hands crossing. Scratching at his stitches, the urge to control everything torturing him. Grasping the basket in his hand, we were out hunting vegetables while everyone else was hunting. Using the free time to figure him out, black magic still danced inside of his chest. Although something felt off about him.

“You don’t have to be in control all of the time.” I chirped cheerfully, cocking my head. “It can be really hard to not be in control. Trust me I had to work on it myself. That being said, your ability to raise the dead might prove useful later on. Like I said before you really aren’t a monster, just misguided. Let me be your guide, ‘kay! Let’s start with this.” A small village loomed in the distance, Dackworth stepping back cautiously. My dainty arms wrapping my cloak over his half naked body, tears watered in his mismatched eyes. Smoothing out my green wool dress, my blonde hair danced in the breeze. Throwing the hood over his head, it hurt to see him so upset. Wrapping my arm around his elbow, my kind smile met his nervous grin. The morning sun bathed us, the market place bustling with life. The scent of death floated around us, my nose just couldn't pinpoint where it was.

“I think we should go back.” He whined softly, pulling me back like a small child. “I don’t need to be seen, I scare people.” Raising my brows, did he not know that I would protect him. I wanted to show him life could be fun, a small brown hair child running up to me. His pointed ears twitched happily, his happy grin freaking me out. 

“I am Darwin Earsworth, the mayor’s son. We are a mixed breed of elves and dwarfs. So how can I guide you? We do have a rule where you have to show your face.” He informed us happily, taking my hand. “We have been having this one band of bandits torturing the town.” Cautiously dropping his hood, a shrill shriek exploded from the boy's lips. Before I could protest, several black snake masked bandits rushed into town. Groaning to myself roughly, this was just supposed to be a nice shopping day. My scythe slid into my eager palms, the damn weapon nearly taking me to the ground. Why was it still so heavy? Ignoring my sore muscles, blue flames devoured my scythe. Dackworth turned to run, my fingers wrapping around the collar of his cloak. Snatching a random staff from a stand, chaos broke out. The villagers ran back into her thatch homes, leaving us to deal with the dozen bandits. A steady stream of curse words flooded from my lips as he didn’t know what to do, he really was like a small child. The bandits charged at us, matching silver blades shimmering in the morning sun. These guys were bold enough to attack in the daylight, the flames growing stronger as I spun my scythe above my head. Slamming my heel into a couple of their jaws, the shattering of their bones shocked me. Boran wasn’t lying, my hits were twice as strong. Skidding back, green energy swirled around Dackworth, the staff rejecting him. His lips moved silently, their life force slowly leaving them. A white skeletal scythe appeared in his hand, his dark energy returning. Tears welled up in my eyes, my small progress fading away. All twelve of them crumbled to dust, silent tears flooding from my eyes. Every citizen began to die around me, desperation tainting my voice. 

“Stop it!” I pleaded sorrowfully, his own life force fading. “I want you to live. There is so much in life. You are my friend, and I need you to live! You deserve to live.” Slamming into his body, shock rounded out my eyes as his scythe sliced into my chest. Breathing grew harder, his teardrops soaking my head. Shaking my head, I knew what was going to happen. My own blood splattered on my face as he ripped the scythe from my chest, the last of his life force pouring into the wound in my chest. Sobs wracked my body, his magic failing me. A cloud of dirt blew around us, his body crashing to the ground. Collapsing onto my knees, my trembling fingers pulled him onto my lap. A sad smile met my quivering lips, my teardrops mixing with his. He was dying. How long has this been going on? Shaking his head, he cupped my shaking hands. 

“That heart was the only thing that kept me alive, Lottie.” He wheezed, stopping me from performing any spells to keep him alive. “I get to die knowing that I am not the monster that I thought I was. Thank you so much, but I have been alive since the beginning of this world. Over and over again the world chewed me up and spit me out, but you didn’t. Keep the light in your eyes for me. Take my staff and combine it with yours. You will grow even stronger. No spells can keep me alive, your magic is useless with my body. Just hold me until I take my last breath. Tell me that it is going to be okay. You can’t save everyone, Lottie. The world needs you. I love you like the sister I used to hav-” His eyes closed one last time, his chest rising one last time. A wail of agony shattered the still air, ugly tears crashing onto his still face.

“Why did you have to fucking die!” I shouted furiously, burying my face into his palms. “I just wanted to show you the world! I am a failure! Even though I only knew you for a moment, it felt like a lifetime.” Storm clouds brewed above my head, thunder rumbling in the sky. Heavy raindrops crashed onto my face, the iciness of the raindrops was the only thing telling me that I was still alive. Darwin stepped out from behind a home, his black suit dripping with rain. Tears poured from his eyes, his tiny hands wrapping around mine. Meeting his golden eyes, he tugged on my wet sleeve. 

“I know a good place to bury him.” He offered sweetly, wrapping his arms around my neck. “I think he deserves a decent burial. I also want to clarify. I saw the death curling off of him, so when I screamed it wasn’t because he scared me. The grim reaper behind him did. They are always so unsettling to see. I have death vision, so I can see when people are about to die. You would be surprised at how warm it was.” A bolt of lightning illuminated the muddy streets, his father running out to hit him. His hand was raised for his face, my arm catching his fist. His strength proved him to be dwarf alright, my bone cracking with the sheer force.

“I refuse to let you hit this child!” I shouted hotly, setting Dackworth on the ground gently. “What gives you the right!” Raw fury seethed behind his eyes, his hand raising again. Darwin cowered behind me, his pointed ears flattening. Slamming his fists into my arms over and over again, the skeletal scythe faded away to a white powder. The powder floated into my other scythe, my blue scythe doubling in size. A single green eye popped up in the center of the handle, a blue bone providing me a second place to hold it. 

“This kid is a freak like his mother!” He snapped bitterly, my bone beginning to break. “I don’t want him.” An idea flashed in my head, the very thought of it sickening me. Pulling out three coins, surprise rounded both of their eyes. Swallowing the lump in my throat, the cruel words flew from the tip of my tongue. Darwin watched with mixed emotions as I pressed the coins into his father’s greasy palms. The pleased look on his chubby face sickened me, my breakfast threatening to come back up.

“I will buy him then.” I wheezed, fighting back tears from my recent loss. “You will never have to see him again. Please let me buy him and save him from your drunken tendencies. I may not have been able to save him, but I will save Darwin from the real monster.” The village gathered around, raising their torches. Cold sweat dripped off of my brow, the boy gripping my dress like his life depended on it. A haughty grin darkened his father’s lips, the brown cloak still shadowing his face.  

“Take him!” He agreed greedily, my heart retching at Darwin’s reaction. “He’s yours. The monster is gone!” The whole town cheered proudly, Darwin wailing behind me. Turning back towards him, my shaking fingers tied my scythe to my back. It could no longer fade away, my arm scooping him up. His tiny fingers gripped my wet dress, Dackworth’s body hung over my other shoulder. Rage reddened my face, every emotion bursting from my lips. 

“You are a rotten bastard, and you are proud of it! You are all disgusting slugs that deserve to die! I have seen reapers and that shit is scary. I can’t sense death as well as him, but I hope you all burn in Hell!” I bellowed over the storm, the flames dying out. “You deserve every bit of bad luck coming your fucking way! Hell, you are all too evil for Hell. I hope you wander around purgatory for the rest of your after life. None of you deserve happiness. I place a curse on your afterlife to roam purgatory for all of eternity.” Gray marks appeared on their necks, all of them cursing at me to leave. 

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” I growled darkly, my spunk leaving by the second. “Fuck all of you!” Marching out of the village, his sobs soaked my shoulder. His watery eyes met mine, his hand wrapping around mine. Kissing the top of it, all of his bruises became visible in the white of the lightning. Gentle snores told me that he was sleeping away a bit of the trauma, the sunlight breaking through the clouds. The perfect spot shimmered in the single beam, a weak smile dimming my face. Carrying the two of them to the spot, he barely moved as I set him down gently. Shifting through my bag, I covered his tiny body with a cloak. The six year old reminded me of my younger self when Mina found me, his chest rising up and down. Taking my staff off my back, the second handle helped me cut out a six foot long rectangle. Banging the bottom of my weapon, the Earth crumbled away to a six foot deep hole. Holding his lifeless body in my arms, a bunch of dirt rained down on me as I landed gracefully at the bottom. Laying him down for his final rest, he looked so peaceful. His sad smile remained plastered on his face, fresh tears crashing onto his face. Pressing my palms on the ground, a blue crystal coffin grew around him. A single blue rose sat in my other palm, my shaking hands placing it on his coffin. 

“What can I say besides that you were a loving soul who departed too soon. Your light would have brightened the world as well. Just know that I will never forget you and your heart of gold.” I sobbed softly, a pair of big golden eyes looking down at me. Leaping out of the hole, my fingers gripped my scythe tighter. Slamming the bottom of my scythe on the ground, a clear blue crystal covered the hole. A black marble headstone marked his grave, the sunlight bathing him. Falling to my knees, my palms pressed against the crystal. Darwin smashed into me, his tiny arms wrapping around my neck. His warmth radiated over me, his tiny fingers wiping away my tears. Sniffling quietly, his lips brushed against my forehead. 

“He will always have the sun bathe him for the rest of his afterlife. Heaven took him in, and he is with his sister and little brother.” He promised sweetly, my arms clutching him close to my chest. “It is okay to cry, death is sad. Can I call you mommy now?” Smiling warmly down at him, this child was an adult already. 

“Of course. I am sorry for having to buy you and cursing them to a miserable afterlife.” I wept softly, an excited grin danced across his tiny lips. “I am sorry you had to meet me like this. I used to see reapers all of the time, and death is never easy. At least this way, he can look up at the stars and see the sunshine whenever he wants to. Promise me, you will never use black magic. It always brings one conclusion.” Nodding with tears pouring from his eyes, his lips pressed into a thin line. 

“Death. My mother always told me the same thing. Always find the light at the end of the tunnel. I could tell that he really appreciated the small amount of time you spent with him.” He comforted me through wet sobs, his tiny laugh twinkling in the air. “Maybe he brought us together to help us both work through our own struggles. I want to thank you for saving me back there. Being a six year old sucks because I can’t hit back. Don’t worry about buying me and cursing the whole village. Trust me they deserve it. Can I show you something else that is beautiful? The sun is about to set, and I know the perfect place to watch. I also know where the best medicinal herbs grow around here.” Hopping to his feet, he offered me his tiny hands. Shaking my head, a sense of relief washed over me as I tied my scythe to my back. Placing him on my shoulders, he pointed to where to go. Both of us laughed and smiled as we picked the necessary herbs and wild vegetables. Catching a couple of wild chickens, he watched in wonder as I spun them over the fire. Taking them off, I placed them onto a washed piece of bark. His tiny hands dragged me to the edge of a cliff, the violet light of the sunlight painting the clouds. My breath hitched at the beauty, a flurry of bats flew from the black trees beneath the cliff. 

“How does it taste?” I queried gently, watching his eyes round with joy. “I hope it is to your liking.” Nodding happily, he scarfed it down. He did look a little skinny, giving half of my chicken to him. Eating mine up, he rubbed his tummy. His smile fell, dark thoughts swimming through his head. Wrapping his arms around my waist, his tiny hand rested on my bump. Tears swam in his eyes, his next words shattering my heart. 

“You won’t want to be my mother after your kid is born, won’t you?” He whispered with fright poisoning his sweet voice, my arms pulling him closer. “I understand if that is h-” Kissing the top of his head, fresh tears flooding from his eyes. Gazing up at me lovingly, his head snuggled into my chest. Sighing deeply, he looked so peaceful in my arms. 

“My baby will need a stronger older brother.” I urged warmly, a wide grin brightening his face. “I can’t fix your past, but your future will always be bright.” Only seconds passed before he was snoring in my arms again. I guess a full stomach did that sort of thing. A familiar voice alerted me, Dackworth’s voice echoing around me. Looking around, a frustrated sigh rang out in the still night. 

“Jesus Christ, I am in the scythe.” He barked irritably, my fingers pulling it in front of me. “I am just free of my physical body. I have to say thank you for my funeral, even though my soul isn’t dead.” My eyebrow twitched, the urge to snap my scythe in half looking so sweet right now. A growl rumbled in my throat, the green eye falling on mine.  

“I ought to kill you all over again, Dackworth.” I sang creepily, just happy to hear his voice again. “I am pretty sure you were dead though.” Evil laughter erupted from my scythe, I could almost hear his wicked grin. Rage burned my cheeks.

“I made a deal with Mina to be your guardian in the staff. I did get to see my family which was nice, but I felt as if I should serve you. I am glad my plan to bring you two together worked. You needed him, and look at it this way, you don’t miss me.” He chirped cheerfully, my anger fading to joy. “He loves you so much already. You really are a masterpiece. I am proud to serve you master. I heard you placed a curse on that rotten town. Cursing people to purgatory for all of eternity is a little dark, isn’t it?” Scarlet burned my cheeks, the thought of Mina cursing me out causing me to shiver.  

“Don’t worry. She agreed with your punishment. You two are still good.” He continues jovially, looking around nervously. “Thanks for the memorial for my physical body. It is truly beautiful.” Chuckling to myself, I didn’t know whether to yell at him or not. Clearing my throat, I was lucky to have him back. Grinning wickedly, the eye quivered with fear. Covering up my lips, it took everything to stifle my laugh.  

“It is good to hear your voice again.” I sighed tiredly, my baby kicking my stomach like a baby kangaroo. “I still want you to see the world. Would you still like to be called Dackworth, or would you like me to call you an annoying lovable idiot?” Tears of relief flooded from my eyes, a fit of laughter bursting from our lips. 

November 04, 2022 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.