0 comments

General

Here I am at my monthly tarot card reading done by my overzealous mother. She told me that it is my duty and responsibility as her daughter to support her as she has done the same for me over the years and naturally I have no argument for that. It’s actually not as strange nor as terrible as one would expect and she has improved drastically since our first meeting. She also loves to speak in parables like she is an actual sage. But let me not discredit her too much since she did get better.

     “ Do you have any tea?” She asks me.

     “I’m the guest here, I should be asking you that.”                  

      “You don’t entertain my love for the slang these days.”

      “We’re both too old for it.”

      “Speak for yourself. Say I not we.”

      “I don’t have any tea today maybe next time.”

      “I’ll get it out of you don’t worry.” She says with a smirk on her face while pouring actual tea.

She’s aging finely. I think this hobby is doing her well. And she's being paid to boot.  It has been only 8 months but on the phone it seems as though she has gotten quite a few new customers recently.

I sit at the mosaic table on the patio across from her. She stares at me intently, her dark eyes are piercing and it reminds me of the glare that she would sometimes give me when I did something she would not approve off. I take a sip of the tea.

  “It’s good.”

   “I know. Everything that I make tends to be a masterpiece. ”

    “ Aww you’re so sweet.”

     “ Is that why you take me in tiny doses? You afraid you’ll get diabetes?”   

     “ Is that your way of telling me it runs in the family? Mosquitoes do love me I should have noticed.”

      “It's high blood pressure not high blood sugar. ”

Fun fact, our banter is one of my favourite past times.

She lights some sage to cleanse the atmosphere from any unwanted lingering energies. I learnt all of this in my first few visits because I kept asking questions.

“An old flame got reignited.” Did I leave a sticky note somewhere on my body saying that?!?

     “You know how the saying goes, old firewood is easy to burn.”

     “That should have been charred and fully ashes in my opinion. Unable to be used again! There’s a lot of evergreen out there. Majestic trees, strong and sturdy too.  Don’t go for the battered kind. I know that it may seem like the rain forest is dying but still look properly.” She says earnestly and also wisely. I still do not know how she sensed it. Maybe Lydia called her and said something; that has to be it. Or did she really get this good?

“ You should have taken your own advice.” I say.

“ I didn’t get a withered tree, I got a defective scarecrow.”

“ Yep,he left you for the biggest gold pecking crow out there.”

“Well at least I got a beautiful daughter out of it.”

I smile and then sigh.

“How did you know all of this?”

“ I stopped eating meat. It helps with my clairvoyance.”

“Off course it does… I can tell you something about Lydia if you want so when she comes to visit you can get a clearer reading as well.”

She laughs at that.

“Don’t you know that talent and hard work shows results? That is how you reached so far yourself. Anyways let’s see what the cards say.”

She goes through the cards and separates them into two piles and then shuffles each pile. She then takes the top card from one of the stacks and then the top 3 from the other one.

I look at the cards before me when they are turned face up. I never saw them before. The single card is what the three cards will be interpreted through. It gives a broader range of where I am in my life and the three cards gives an overview of a more or less immediate situation. At least that’s what I understand in my limited knowledge on the matter. After this, I shall take a long shower, wash my hair and everything. I don’t want to cling too closely to what I hear today. So I shall try to wash it away and drown it out with some music and follow up with ice-cream. Mom is a little too sharp and I don’t fully know how she is doing it so I also need to double check that with Lydia.

     “ A journey has begun and the traveler has problems distinguishing between tricksters and friends. Despite this, a gamble is taking place with favourable odds. But beware of giving too much power to the emperor.” Moon. Wheel of Fortune. Emperor.

“Cute story.”

“ Says the protagonist.”

“So moon represents the difficulty differentiating between the real ones and the fakes, wheel of fortune is the gamble and emperor is like some male that’s going to be in a power play with me.”

Christian is my new boss.

   “ It was pretty self explanatory, you didn’t have to butcher it like that.”

    “ I need to get my money’s worth.”

    “ The gas you burnt to get here was not that much to begin with. I have top tier readings. So much so that I keep getting new clients. You’re the most difficult of them all if you must know. You’re harder than that bread you bake. But then again you are what you eat.”

Damn she got cocky.

“ Yes well I have to be your biggest critic since you left the spot open.”

“ I can tell that my reading has hit the nail on the head. Just be careful darling. I, along with the cards have no doubt that you will be successful but sometimes a harsh wind blows and upsets everything. Keep me updated. This seems like it will play out for a few months.”

August 22, 2020 03:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.