9 comments

Creative Nonfiction Romance Suspense

Albert Roy was insane. That is why Harper Bree had left him and his abusive relationship. Albert had been stalking her for months now. It had been difficult, Harper Bree had moved from New York to Georgia, but he had finally tracked her down.

My name is Harper Bree and I have never been happier. I was living with the love of my life, Brett Ryker, but what made today even more special was our second wedding anniversary. I had a huge surprise for Brett, I was pregnant. I had found out nearly a month ago and had been planning the best way to tell Brett. I wanted the moment to be perfect because Brett and I had wanted a kid ever since we had got engaged. I snapped out of my daydreams of nurseries and baby clothes when I suddenly realized something, Brett wasn't home yet, which wasn't like him. Just as I started to get worried Brett came through the door loaded with presents and a huge bouquet of roses. I ran to him and flung myself at him. Of course, he had stopped to get the flowers. I quickly moved aside the steaming plates of food I had made earlier. Brett put the packages down with a smile.

Still, after two years, his twinkling eyes and bright smile still made my heart flip flop. He was quite a handsome man, tall and sturdy. His curly black hair and his dazzling blue eyes made me sigh. Not only was he attractive, but he was also kind, sweet, and thoughtful. When we first started dating I thought of him as a big, soft teddy bear, a childhood friend on which you could express your feelings, cry on, or laugh with.

We sat down to the enormous feast that I had spent hours preparing. These dishes were not just any dishes it was our dishes. Nachos from a ball game we had watched on the couch on a Sunday afternoon, salted popcorn from a night at the movies, cherry pie that my mom had made for Brett when I took him to meet my parents, lemon jello from a picnic. All these random foods with so many memories. When Brett saw all the food, his eyes opened like a little boy at Christmas. He LOVED food. We ate, holding hands in the candlelight. When we could not eat another spoonful, I thought the time was just right. "Honey, I have something in the kitchen you might want to see." Brett smiled weakly, "I hope it's not more food, I can't eat anymore." I laughed with delight, "I wish I recorded you saying that. For the first time in forever, Brett Ryker can't eat another bite." Brett groaned. "You sound like my mother."

I concealed my smile. I turned on the kitchen light and went over to the oven and turned on the light, and I started recording. Brett noticed, "Why are you recording?" I didn't answer that question, but instead replied, "Look in the oven." Obielging, Brett looked. Two hamburger buns in the form of peach were on the tray. I was getting excited now. Still filming I asked, "What is in there, Brett?" Brett looked confused. "Two buns in the oven." I waited for him to get the message. Slowly, realization dawned on his face. He stared at me. "No, you are not serious!" I smiled. "I am! I took the test a month ago. I am positive. " Brett started screaming with joy. "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" He started running around the kitchen, flapping his hands in the air, me still recording, laughing at Brett's instant transition from confused to beyond happiness. He came back, still screaming, eyes wide with disbelief, and tackled me with a bear hug. He was crying now with complete joy. Once I got Brett to calm down, I told him about how we were going to tell the rest of the family. Brett smiled, and I wiped the last glistening tear off his cheek. Together, we went to bed, leaving the presents forgotten and unopened on the table, for we would soon have the greatest gift of all, a child.

Once Albert had seen the lights shut off, he stopped his car engine and got out of his car. He went to the trunk and retrieved a gallon of gasoline. With his lighter in his pocket, he headed toward the Ryker's house. Albert Roy was determined, if he couldn't have Harper, no one would.

It was 1 am when I smelled the smoke. Immediately I woke up Brett. We looked out the window to see a fiery hell surrounding us. Huge flames from the front garden were quickly racing to the house. The smoke I smelled was from the fire eating away at the first floor. Brett broke the bedroom window and a gust of hot wind carrying ashes burned our noses. I rushed to the bathroom and grabbed two face towels and turned on the facet, drenching the clothes. Brett dialed had dialed 911 when I came running back. As he helped me climb down, I heard the calm voice of the operator, "This is 911, what is your emergency?" Brett yelled through the face cloth, "Our house is on fire. We are escaping through a window. Our address is 416, Broad Street, Cummings. Please, my wife is here with me and we have no help! Send police because I suspect that this fire was not accidental or from natural causes" The operator responded, "Firefighters and police have been dispatched. Stay calm, help is on the way. Evacuate immediately."

I started shimming down the roof. I slid off the edge onto the ground and felt a sharp pain up both of my legs. I crumpled and knew both legs were broken. I called out to Brett, but he had not come out yet. I tried to sit up but cried out in pain. I started screaming Brett's name. Through the pain, the smoke in my eyes, my sharp short breaths, I felt myself passing out, or could I be dying? I fought the drowsiness with all my remaining strength, but it was useless. I felt my head hit the concrete patio and was absorbed into blackness.

I woke up to sirens and Brett's muffled crying. I looked around in confusion, my head hurt terribly. From the blank small room, the bed I was strapped onto and the two people in black uniforms looking at monitors I assumed I was in an ambulance. My lips were cracked and my throat was dry but I managed to whisper in a hoarse voice, "Bbrett, what happened?" One of the workers glanced my way, she was a pretty woman with blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail and caring brown eyes. "Hush now honey, it will be all right, rest now." I obediently passed out again. The next time I woke up, I was in a hospital gown with both legs up wrapped up in casts. I flopped my head from one side to the other, blue curtains. Next to a curtain was my wonderful husband, sound asleep with bandages in several places. With a start, Brett woke up. He looked over at me with dark purple bags under his eyes like he hadn't slept in days. Had it been days?

Again I asked, "What happened?" He looked reluctant but he told me about how my physco ex had tried to kill me in a housefire. They found Albert on the ground in a fit of hysterical giggling, he was facing charges and would be sent to an asylum. I cringed just at the memory of Albert. He really was deranged. "How did I get here?" Before Brett could answer, the pretty blonde woman opened my curtain and checked my pulse on the monitor, and looked at my head. "Darling, you fell out of a two-story house and broke your legs. After you passed out you started to overheat. Your husband picked you up and ran to the ambulance." I looked over at Brett who's was eyes were red. The nurse continued, "Your ex turned out to be schizophrenic. The police only caught him because he hung around to watch the house burn." I felt my heart drop, that is why Albert had been so crazy, and I did not feel the barest trace of remorse. Brett spoke, "There is nothing left of the house it is all just ashes now." I laughed which surprised Brett. "That house wasn't big enough for three." The nurse cleared her throat. "Actually four." Brett and I gasped. "Twins?!" Brett asked in astonishment. The nurse nodded. Brett and I caught each other's eyes, his sky blue ones reflected my excitement. The nurse laughed at our delighted expressions, "You two lovebirds can go looking for a bigger nest in a few days. We just need some final checks to be done."

And they were. It has been seven months since then. Today, I am eight months pregnant and as huge as a blimp. As I am writing this down for my future son and daughter, Brett is laughing behind me as I finish my third bowl of vanilla ice cream and pickles. Love you two, can't wait to meet you. Mommy loves you!




October 21, 2020 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Lani Lane
15:38 Oct 28, 2020

Oooo, creative take on the prompt! Great work creating tension here, Kylie! One suggestion: there's some opportunity for showing vs. telling throughout this story. For example: "My name is Harper Bree and I have never been happier. I was living with the love of my life, Brett Ryker, but what made today even more special was our second wedding anniversary. I had a huge surprise for Brett, I was pregnant." I'm not a fan of starting off with "My name is ____" so I'd recommend just cutting that out and introducing her name later. Here'...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bella Shah
20:30 Oct 27, 2020

interesting... :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lydi B
17:19 Nov 04, 2020

What a frightening tale of obsession vs. bliss. You did well conveying that horrifying feeling of waking up to a house engulfed in flames. None of us wants to be in that situation. That said, the description of the fire was spot on in some places, but misleading in others. If the first floor and surrounding area is already burning, then how could Harper see the fire racing for the house from the front garden? Just something to think about as far as sequence/physics are concerned. Also, as someone who did break her leg a couple years ba...

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
00:04 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dalyane Deblois
21:46 Oct 30, 2020

Great story Kylie! Loved the whole premise and the ending! Keep writing!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Rudolf
20:15 Oct 27, 2020

Would anybody like a part ii?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Rudolf
02:35 Oct 22, 2020

Is this story too cheesy for anyone?

Reply

Bella Shah
20:30 Oct 27, 2020

nope, not at all :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:02 Oct 26, 2020

Heya there, i enjoyed this story a lot and so, I'll give this a 10/10 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.