The Little Drummer Boy

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about a drummer going to a Halloween party for musicians.... view prompt

2 comments

Happy Holiday Christmas

Doseok has always been a music person. Ever since he was a little boy he loved everything about music. He loved to dance and he loved to play instruments. He's what you could call a musical prodigy. He wasn't famous though. He did many different gigs for people. He was often in the background of some of the most famous music videos and musicals. 

Doseok was a talented dancer, instrument player and he could even sing and rap very well. He played so many instruments, it's hard to name them all. He played the violin, guitar, piano, saxophone, cello, flute, french horn, trumpet and the oboe. His favorite instrument to play out of all of the instruments was the drums. He loved the drums. There was something about how simple yet difficult they were that he just loved.

Now that you know a little bit about our main character. Let's really introduce you to him. Doseok is twenty-seven years old. He lives in a nice house that is actually in the same neighborhood as a few of his friends. He works in the entertainment industry. He writes and produces songs. He is sometimes featured in songs. He's not the biggest name but he does more than people know. He is often a background dancer in music videos and other things. He doesn't mind not being the center of attention. As long as he can still spread his light and joy, he's happy.

Now, it's about one month before Christmas. This story take place long before the rest. On this particular Christmas Doseok was invited to got to a special party for musicians. He was excited. He would be meeting many musicians that he had looked up to and old friends.

One thing Doseok is very well known for is his fashion. He has amazing fashion sense. For the party, he chose an outfit that he found pretty casual. He wore light blue jeans with a large hole on both knees. He wore a plain white T-shirt but it couldn't be seen because he covered it with a large, black, leather jacket and a very long black and white scarf. He wore black combat boots and a black baseball cap. He finished it off with sunglasses. More for the look then anything else since the sun wasn't all that bright. 

Doseok made his way to his yellow Porsche 718 Cayman GT4. It was a very nice car and he loved it. He slid into the front seat and drove to a building that was about an hour away from his house. By the time he reached the large building it was 8:40 and he had missed a good hour of the party. 

He stepped out of the car only to be met immediately with paparazzi. They had been waiting outside to crowd around any car that parked in the lot since it was a party for bigger influences.

One of the paparazzi recognized him but the rest had no idea who he could be. It only made them more curious. He didn't say a word and just gently pushed past them as they continued to shove cameras and microphones into his face and scream questions at him. It took him a while but he made it to the front door of the building and he turned around.

"I'm sorry. I can't answer any questions. I'm late." He smiled a very genuine smile. Most people would be annoyed and they had every right to be but, Doseok understood that they were doing their job and he didn't mind too much. 

The one girl who had recognized him smiled and waved. To her surprise, she had caught Doseok's eye with her wave and he smiled a friendly smile before heading into the building. The girl smiled back even though he was no longer there. 

"Who is he?" The girls higher up asked, seeing that she had had a special moment with the man. 

"Doseok. Jung Doseok." The girl answered, still looking towards the door.

"Who IS he though? What does he do?" 

"He pretty much does anything you can think of that is in the music industry."

"Which is what?"

"Everything."

"I find that hard to believe."

"There aren't many articles on him. I''m not sure why. He's extremely talented and he's even good looking and, from what I've seen, well mannered too."

"No one could do EVERYTHING though."

"He can do a LOT though. Name something."

"Sing."

"He doesn't sing much but he has a wonderful voice and the occasional times I've heard him sing, he's had an amazing voice."

"Can he ... dance?"

"He's an amazing dancer. His main dancing style is anything hip-hop but I've seen him do things that aren't quite hip-hop."

"Can he write music?"

"He's written a lot of the biggest hits these days. He gives a lot of his songs away instead of using them for himself though. He also plays many instruments."

"You can only learn so many."

"He's spent a lot of time learning."

"Okay. Banjo?"

"I'm sure he could learn it but that's not something I've ever heard he could play."

"Violin?"

"Yep."

"Piano?"

"Yep."

"Guitar?" 

"Yep." 

"Trumpet?"

"Yep."

"Drums?"

"Yup."

"When did he learn all this?"

"No one knows much about him so I'm not sure but it's crazy. He's so talented and not even that well known."

"We need to learn more about this guy. He seems like a good story."

* * *

Doseok stepped into the party room and it was more full than he thought. He stepped in and caught a few eyes but he didn't mind. He immediately went to the stage and watched the performers. He loved the music. 

He Jumped a little when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned and faced an older man. 

"Oh. Hi." Doseok said.

"You're Jung Doseok. Right?"

"That's me."

"Would you like to talk somewhere quieter?"

"Sure."

The two men walked towards a corner of the room that seemed to be the least full. Doseok was very confused but he kept his usual friendly face on.

"It's very hard to get a hold of you. You seem to be a lot like a secret agent." The man said. Doseok laughed.

"I don't really go out and look for jobs. I work on stuff and if I happen to run into someone or someone finds a way to contact me I'll most likely take the job."

"Well, I have a very important Christmas music video that I'm directing and I'm trying to gather some of the most underrated music artists to be apart of this video and song. I would love it if you could be a background dancer. There won't be very many background dancers so you'll technically be a main dancer."

Doseok smiled.

"I won't be doing much over the holiday. I think I could make some time."

"Thank you so much! I'll send a manager to give you more information."

The man left but Doseok had no time to do anything before he was approached by a frantic woman that had a lanyard make Doseok believe that she was staff.

"You're Doseok, right?!" She asked in a hurry.

"Yes. Are you okay?"

The woman ignored his question.

"I've heard that you can play the drums. Is that true?"

"Yes. It is."

"Our drummer for the next performance ate something that he was allergic to backstage and he had to be sent immediately to the hospital. Do you think that if we provided you music, you could play his part? We would be so grateful!"

"I can do that."

"Really!" The woman was extremely happy. "You can just head backstage. They've already set the music and stuff up. You'll be on in about a minute. Thank you so much!"

Doseok headed backstage and, before he knew it, the song was over. He was congratulated by multiple people and was even approached for a few more job offers. He accepted the ones he could and he coordinated with those people.

Something that would later be written about by a local journalist was the surprise performance of an artist by the name of Jung Doseok but, he had a new name now. When other artists were being interviewed, they hadn't known his name so they had simply called him "The little drummer boy."

December 20, 2020 06:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Benji Bobo ©
19:09 Dec 28, 2020

This is a very nice story very relatable, I did find an error though. In paragraph four, it says take instead of takes This story take place long before the rest.

Reply

Emma Harris
05:43 Dec 30, 2020

Darn it. that mistake's gonna bug me! I wish I could fix it. I'm glad that you enjoy the story though! I like to right contemporary stories! relatable seems to be what I'm best at!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.