14 comments

Sad Romance Inspirational

   I am a lawyer by profession and my professional life demands me to face challenges, so I always try to meet the test. But once, something happened that I felt like I had won the case of my client but lost on the other hand. Yes, I still today felt that I lost. It was a case of divorce. A Quinquagenarian couple decided to go for divorce. I was from husband side. The judge was to consider the period of separation of elderly couple, this was difficult situation for both of us lawyers as the couple was insisting upon instant divorce, and that wasn't possible until they had a legal six-month separation period. Both of us lawyers were very much upset with the stubborn attitude of the elderly couple. But, I successfully persuaded the judge from my arguments to believe that in this case there was no need of judicial separation as both are willing to be separated by themselves. Finally, they got the legal validity of their separation. 

  After the court hour, in relax mode I was enjoying the sip of tea in court canteen. There, a short distance away, I saw my client talking to his divorced wife. And what I heard shook my conscience. Both of them were programming the marriage of their lonely daughter. Both of them were planning to complete the work left over by them. It was not seemed, they were divorced a few moment ago. The husband (my client) was telling angrily to his wife, "It was you dear, who were adamant for divorce, though I kept saying you that our Rosy is at tender age, but it was your stubbornness to get divorce." The gentle lady's polite reply with smile on her face was, "Why don't I...?, You know well, how important it is for you to be away from spicy food at this age, but you are too stubborn that you ignore my words and preferred divorce to evade my restrictions on your diet, I know well you are always careless in taking your medicines, but now be careful in taking your medicines regularly, don't worry, I will send you the daily diet chart ". The instant response from husband side was also ready. “You also don't take your medicine's regularly, several times I told you that it can have a bad effect on health, but you have always stubborn attitude, well, now its OK. I will keep calling you daily to remind you to take medicines regularly." And then both of them walked away with the promise that they would take good care of themselves and stay in touch with each other. The feeling of love and attraction for both of them was glooming on their face which was clearly visible, and they were pretending to hide it from each other. 

   Although after an efflux of time this event blurred from the mind of mine but it could not completely erase. As time went on gradually, increasing my schedule busy in court, and then one day something happened, the time wheel started turning up side down again. One of my loved one had to be admitted to a nursing home for better treatment. Therefore, now I had to go around the said nursing home, after dealing with my other commitments, where no one wants to go by themselves unless they need to. 

  One day as I was leaving the nursing home I saw a man running towards it like crazy. As he passed me, I began to recognize his form, and after a while I recognized him. It was the same elderly man who had come to court a few days ago with his wife for a divorce. But for whom he came here and for whom he was so upset….?. Curiosity began to take root in me. He was in such a hurry that at that moment he did not pay attention to me. But after going some distance, he suddenly turned to me and said “Aren’t you the same lawyer who fought my case….?”, I said “Yes”, he asked again to me that whether I can help him. I asked him that what I could do to help him. "Nothing, I just need a unit of O+ blood," he replied. Then I asked him “ For whom….? “ For my wife” he answered, “The one you divorced…?” I asked, “Yes", he replied sadly. I wanted to know from him that what had happened to her, he replied that his wife has allergic symptoms to some food. He told me that his wife is allergic to some kind of food and fruits etc. Then he started saying that his wife always wanted to eat the same food she was allergic to and he always stopped her so that she could be prevented from ill effects of allergies, she knew in that look that he was going to stop her, so in her stubbornness she divorced him so that she could live on her own way apart from him, she knew very well that no one in this world is there to take care of her except him, though, they have their lonely daughter, but she lives abroad for pursuing her studies. Now what he spoke was nothing short of amazing to me, he was speaking about his wife that though she is too stubborn and egoistic, but he cannot leave her alone in her need. He then turned and asked whether I could help him in arranging O+ blood, but in the mean time he was called by the doctor, I also followed him. When we reached the doctor he was informed by the doctor that his wife is stable and now she has been shifted to a bed in general ward from ICU, the mixed expression of joy and love was seen on his face clearly. Soon as we entered the ward the same familiar smile of his wife welcomed both of us. She was not able to speak up because of her illness but I noticed that she was upset to see her husband in the hospital. You might be thinking that she was upset because the person who divorced had come to see her. No. She was upset because, it was the resting time of her husband after taking medicine, but he is in the hospital. Then she requested him to go back to home to take rest. 

   And in the midst of the series of ongoing promises and complaints which was going on in between them, eventually I took my steps to come out of the Nursing Home. 

  I still unable to know why they divorced. Perhaps it was their stubbornness which had overcome their love. Whenever I think about it, I feel myself defeated.



May 21, 2021 12:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Dhwani Jain
11:52 May 28, 2021

Hello Nice story! The concept was good but I have a few suggestions: --> There were some grammatical errors on the way...Please check them and keep them in mind for more stories --> The paragraphs were way too long. It makes it difficult to read the story in two ways:- *I personally hate to read a super long short story....even though your story was short, the extra long paragraphs kind of made me to not to read it. *It becomes very difficult to scroll through the story, as you can't recall where you had left ...

Reply

13:56 May 28, 2021

Thank you, I am checking it, and will correct it. Thanks a lot for you guidance.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:57 May 28, 2021

Welcome :) Where are you from?

Reply

13:59 May 28, 2021

I am from Kolkata, West Bengal,

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:02 May 28, 2021

Sweet!

Reply

14:10 May 28, 2021

And you....?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:57 May 28, 2021

Thank you, I am checking it, and will correct it. Thanks a lot for you guidance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:57 May 28, 2021

Thank you, I am checking it, and will correct it. Thanks a lot for you guidance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Vrushali Date
04:16 May 27, 2021

A heart-touching narration. It brought tears to my eyes. Well done.

Reply

22:02 May 27, 2021

Thank you,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.