0 comments

Romance

Clarice Carol held out a box wrapped in shiny black and gold striped paper to Angela Heaven, her girlfriend. Angela smiled uneasily and took the box. They were seated on a large bed with pink and black sheets in their Earth home, the only place they really felt safe together.


“I thought we weren’t doing gifts, babe?” Angela asked, raising her eyebrow. She and Clarice had decided earlier that year that they didn’t want to do anything for Ferias Nativitatis, the largest celebration on all of Terra every year. 


“Well, yeah, but I really wanted to get you something to show you how happy I am to be with you,” Clarice said, smiling softly. “I really hope you like it.”


“I’ll like anything you give me because it came from you. It came from your heart.” Angela tore open the paper and she was left holding a pink velvet box the same colour as Clarice’s hair. “I’ve always loved this colour on you.”


“I know. I got it special to remind you of me when I can’t...be here,” Clarice said, looking away. She was referring to the times when her mother, Luci, would lock her in Hell. Luci was adamant about Clarice not going to the surface masquerading as a human or, worse, an Angel. Of course, Clarice wouldn’t go out any other way so she would wait out the punishment until Luci caved and let her leave how she wanted to. 


Clarice never wanted to be a demon, but it wasn’t like she had a choice. So when she selected her human form, she made it as light and Angelic as possible. She has short pink hair with a halo headband threaded through it and crystalline blue eyes. She wore a blue long-sleeved shirt with one of those weird little anime faces on it. The ones with the little pink cheeks and huge black eyes. She wore a pink mini-skirt with sheer black tight and blue high heels. 


Angela smiled sadly put her hand on Clarice’s cheek. Clarice opened her eyes and sighed, smiling. “It’s okay, Angel. Open it, already!” Clarice giggled pushed Angela playfully. Angela laughed and tucked a strand of her long black hair behind her ear.


“Okay! Here I go.” Angela pried the pink box open with her long black nail and gasped. The box was filled with jewellery. But not just any jewellery. It was jewellery for her many facial piercings. Rings, studs, gems...the list of everything in the box went on and on. “Oh my God...Clair! This is amazing!”


To anyone else, the jewellery might not seem like a touching gift. But Angela knew exactly why CLarice had gotten it for her. Angela, when she was on Terra and not in Heaven, had multiple facial piercings. They defined her and made her feel like the person she wanted to be, not the idiotic Angel her family wanted her to be. The jewellery was a symbol of Angela’s identity, and Clarice knew that. 


“Anything for you, Angel. I just wanted to make you smile,” Clarice murmured, leaning in to kiss Angela. 


“I have to get something for you! I guess we are doing gifts this year,” Angela laughed. 


“Oh my God, no! You don’t have to buy me anything, Angela. I don’t need a gift. Being here with you and seeing you be happy is a great gift.” Clarice smiled and sat back on the pillows. 


“You’re crazy.”


“So are you,” Clarice said matter-of-factly.


“I guess that’s why I love you then,” Angela said, staring at the ceiling. All of a sudden, a loud chiming sound played. The two girls flinched and Clarice grabbed her bubblegum coloured phone and stared at the screen.


“I...have to go. It’s Luci. something about a family meeting, I guess. Sorry, babe. Love you,” Clarice said, kissing Angela one more time before crawling out of the bed.


“Yeah. Love you, too, Clair. See you at White Rose?” Angela asked, referring to the little cafe she had first met Clarice in. Clarice slipped her shoes on and walked out of the room and onto the front lawn. She whistled and a carriage drawn by 4 houses that looked like they were made of magma flew down from the sky. As soon as Clarice was in the carriage, they dove down, phasing through the earth. 


Angela watched to make sure she was gone before unlocking her phone and looking to see if the mall was still open. It was just barely 5:00 in the evening and everything was still open, thank God. Angela’s phone buzzed and she jumped. 


The text read “Hey, Angel. Can you come home? It’s time for Ferias gifts! -Mommy”

 

Angela sighed, putting her face in her hands. Her mother didn’t seem to realize that caller id existed.

Angela left the house and her large white wings materialized. She shook them out before launching straight up and into the sky. Before long, she stood at a large golden gate.


“Good day, Princess.” The guards nodded and the gate opened. Angela flew through it. She had shed her human ‘disguise’ of black hair and dark clothes and was back to the standard Angel white dress and wedges. Her black hair faded to blonde and her dark eyes turned brown with little golden flecks in them. She hated looking like that, but it was necessary here. 


Angela flew past dozens of building and houses until she reached a large palace. A woman with a long purple braid stood in front of the house. She was wearing a long white gown and her eyes glowed with magic.


“Angela! Finally! We were getting worried. You’re 2 minutes later than usual.” 


“So sorry, Mom. Wind...turbulence,” Angela said, struggling to come up with a better lie.


“Hmm. That doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I’m going to believe you. Just as long as you weren’t with that awful Clarice girl. She’s a Demon, you know. Angels shouldn’t even look at them, let alone talk to them.”


“Thank you, Mother.” 


“Mistress Argia, Mistress Angela, please follow me. Mistress Ashely is waiting for you in the dining room.” The Angel servant flew back to wherever it was she came from and Argia, also known as God or Angela’s mother, grabbed Angela’s hand and lead her down the halls of Heaven Palace. 


It was intricately and elegantly designed, the walls covered in gold and all the furniture glittering with riches and gemstones. It looked nothing like the white cloud-filled image the humans had of Heaven.


“Mom, I actually need to go. Can we do this some other time?” Angela asked, looking over her shoulder at the exit. Argia’s face falls but she nods.


“Sure, sweetheart. I’ll let your sister know.” Argia continues to walk down the hallway and Angela uses her wings to get the exit of the palace as fast as possible.


“Bye!” she called over her shoulder. Angela burst through the doors and sped past the rest of Heaven, the majestic world in the sky looking like nothing more than a blur. 


When Angela landed on Terra, she inhaled deeply and smiled. She was home. At least, she was in the place that felt the most like home. She had always hated Heaven, but on Terra, she could be herself. 


Angela pulled out her phone, the case all black with black flowers made of gems on the back of it. She quickly went onto the mall’s website and scrolled through the shop’s closing times. They were all still open. Perfect. 


Angela took off and in a matter of minutes, she had arrived at the mall. The first store she went to was a cute little shop filled with little stuffed animals. They were all adorable, but one in particular stood out to Angela. It was a little bear, but half of it had red fur and the other half was white. The side with the red had little devil horns and wings the white side had a little halo and angel wings. Angela smiled. It was the perfect gift for Clarice. 


Angela bought the little bear and put it in a baby-pink bag filled with blue tissue paper. Angela left the store, ready to go home, when something occurred to her. What if Clarice didn’t like it? What if she hated it? Angela turned and walked into Clarice’s favourite clothing store, Marik’s Demonic Angel Designs. It was a strange place, to say the least. 


Sitting on a mannequin in the store was the perfect gift for Clarice. It was a long periwinkle blue dress covered in crystals. It was a ball gown and the top of the dress was sheer and it had a small v-neckline. The sleeves were off the shoulder and the whole thing was covered in flowers. It was gorgeous and would compliment Clarice perfectly. So Angela bought it. 


Just as she was leaving the mall, Angela was struck with the feeling again that Clarice might not like it. And so she went back. And she left. And she went back. By the time the stores were closed, Angela had already had to teleport 5 cart-fulls of gifts to her room in Heaven. She realized she had no idea what Clarice would want. So Angela gave up and flew back to Heaven Palace.


She got to her room and took out her sketch pad. She wanted Clarice to know exactly how she made Angela feel, but none of the gifts got it just right. Angela sighed in frustration and tied her long black hair into a ponytail. She locked the door so she wouldn’t have to change back into her angelic clothes and blonde hair. 


She picked up a pencil and started to slowly sketch out a face. Before long, Angela realized she was drawing Clarice. She smiled and hummed along to the song playing through the big black headphones she was wearing. When Angela was done with the drawing, it looked exactly like Clarice. Angela had coloured it, too, so it would look just like her.


Clarice’s short pink hair and baby-blue eyes were perfectly represented. It was just a drawing from her shoulders and up, so Angela decided not to bother sketching the top part of Clarice’s sweater, leaving her shoulders bare. 


Angela tore the drawing out of her notebook and put it on her nightstand before drifting off to sleep. 


All of a sudden, her alarm started blaring and Angela hit the snooze button. “Not yet,” she murmured. Then Angela’s phone started ringing. 


“Angela? Are you okay? When you didn’t show up, I got worried,” Clarice cried, her soft voice sounding panicked.


“What? What time is it?”


“Um, I think it’s close to 2 pm. Why?” Clarice asked, puzzled.


“What?! Where are you? I’ll meet you!” Angela said, hanging up. A few minutes later, Angela’s phone buzzed with a text. 


@ white rose. U hung up b4 i could tell u


Angela read the message and quickly typed one back.


Sry, babe. Distracted. Love u


Angela sent the message and Clarice sent back a little heart a few seconds later. Angela climbed out her window and flew down to Earth, landing behind the White Rose cafe. She went inside and found Clarice.


“Hi, Clarice. I’m so sorry about being late. I was up really late last night trying to find the perfect gift for you. Long story short, I slept through my alarm and now I’m here.”


“Angel, I told you that you didn’t need to get me anything! But...I do want to see what you got.” Clarice smiled sheepishly and Angela laughed.


“I thought you might. I teleported it all home so you could see it as soon as you got there. So, let’s go!” Angela said, pulling Clarice out of her chair. The house was a 20-minute walk and normally the pair enjoyed the time to talk and just be together. But today, Angela scooped Clarice up into her arms and flew them to the house. 


When they set down, Clarice was beaming. “I love it when you do that,” she said, kissing Angela. Angela smiled and took Clarice’s hand. 


“Ready, Clair?” she asked. Clarice nodded and kissed Angela’s cheek. They went inside and Clarice gasped. There was a mountain of clothes, toys, accessories and more. 


“Angel, this is insane…”


“Do you like it?” Angela asked hopefully.


“What? Of course I-wait. What’s that?” Clarice asked, pointing to a small black notebook. 


“What? That? It’s nothing. Nothing you would want anyway. It’s just a sketch book.” Angela reached out to grab it but Clarice took it first.


“Well, it’s clearly not for me. For one thing, it’s black, which you know I hate. And I suck at art. Which means that this is your sketchbook! And you don’t buy a new one unless the old one is full, so this probably isn’t new…”


“No, but it doesn’t have anything interesting in it, either.” Angela reached out to grab it again, but Clarice held it away from her and started to open it. She gasped. 


“Angela...is this what you think about me?” Clarice asked, flipping through the pages. Each page had a sketch of Clarice, all in different positions, clothes and even styles. The one thing they had in common was that they were all clearly Clarice. Same face, same hair, same eyes. 


Clarice’s eyes welled up and she smiled. “These are amazing, Angela. I love them. And I love you. This is the best Ferias gift I’ve ever gotten! And you are the most amazing, wonderful, best girlfriend in the world” Clarice said, smiling. She leaned in to kiss Angela.


And Angela realized that Clarice didn’t care about the things she had bought or even the drawings, really. She cared about the fact that Angela had spent time on the drawings, that she had poured all her love into them. Angela didn’t see Clarice the same way everyone else did. She saw her the way she wanted to be seen and that made Clarice happier than anything. 




December 12, 2019 22:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.