0 comments

Suspense Romance Urban Fantasy

-Trigger warning: VIOLENCE-

"It's been a year since Gen died, Low. Why are you here tonight? I'd thought you would have called in sick."

"Gen wouldn't have wanted me to shirk my responsibility, Abs."

I worked at the Moonlight Diner in Crystal Springs. Third shift in this small town never ceased to amaze me. Five bars and this place was the only dive open after bar close. I hated the drunk grabby guys who came in every night. Geneva, my older sister, would always be here with me. She died last year. Cancer sucks. I remember one night she talked to Bobby, the night manager.

"If anything happens to her..." I heard Gen say.

"Geneva Louise, nothing will happen to Harlow once you go. I will protect her with my life. Hell, you both are like my daughters. Your father wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Rest your parents' souls."

"I'm gonna haunt your ass if you don't follow through."

Bobby Caldreaux made Crystal Springs, Louisiana worth staying in, honestly. I wanted to leave.

The thing about Crystal Springs is at night, the craziest things happen. Jace Tucker, our cook, takes off every once in a while. Bobby seems to notice but doesn't care. He just mans the grill. Abby, our other waitress, sometimes runs away when her boyfriend Jaxon texts. Heck, Even Bobby has moments I find him grumpy and have to cheer him up by joking. Geneva and I did that for him. Bobby called us his cubs. My mom, Rose, made sure Bobby took care of us. Our father, Silas, was Bobby's best friend. Bobby's wife Ursa took care of us like her own. Geneva and I were loved.

"Heya, Gorgeous! How's about you bring those long legs and that ass over here so you can take our order?"

I side eye the offensive patron. Abby looks at me.

"I can call Jax."

"Nah, I got it."

I walked over to the table where the two men sat.

"Can I get you something?" I ask.

The amount of saccharin in my voice would send a diabetic into a coma.

"Yeah, Sugar, I'd like a BLT. I'd also like your number." The dark haired one said.

The bald man cleared his throat.

"You're going to have to forgive Rocco. He's.. An animal. I'm Davis. I'd like an omelet and a sweet tea please."

I smiled.

"I'll have the cook start those."

I placed the orders.

"You idiot! She's not going to let us near her if you keep acting like the pig you are! She doesn't even know what she is yet!"

Wait! Did I just..?

Jace glared at the table.

"It's a full moon. Be careful going home tonight, okay?"

"Okay."

Jace was acting weird. I needed to talk to Bobby and Ursa.

"Hey, Bobby, Do you have a minute?"

"For you, Lola, I have nothing but minutes. What's up?"

I explained what was going on to the man I considered my uncle. How I could hear so well from so far away. How guys now noticed things about me that I didn't think were there. How creepy some were getting. Bobby rose to his full height, all six feet five inches.

"You don't go home alone. Do you hear me?"

I, for the first time in my life, was afraid.

"Why?"

"I'll have Ursa explain the finer details, Lola. Just know that you're no longer safe from predators."

I wanted to cry. Bobby contacted Ursa. Within minutes, a lithe blonde woman entered the office.

"Robert Caldreaux, how dare you scare this poor girl! Chère, follow me. My darling husband has about as much couth as an unflushed latrine."

Ursa took me into a private room and sat me on a couch.

"My, you and Geneva did grow so fast! I wish Rose would've been here to just how beautiful you became. You're her spitting images."

I started to tear when Ursa talked about my mom.

"Now, as to why my darling husband had a dang ol conniption fit; you're coming of age."

"Huh?"

"Harlow, how old are you?"

"I'm twenty."

"Gracious! Yes, I can see why Bobby was all ruffled. I was your age when men started pursuing me. The rutting pigs!"

I looked at her in shock.

"You mean.. They want..."

"Yes, dearling. They want to imprint. You're prime to be mated. As our only child, Bobby wants to keep you safe. As you've seemingly found, you have a unique gift for a human. Be on your guard. Don't go anywhere alone, especially at night. It's not safe."

I stood in shock.

"How do I go home?"

"We'll get you there."

"Should I go back to work?"

"Yeah. Bobby and Jace are watching."

"Thanks."

"Anytime, Sugar."

Equipped with this news, I take the tray for the two men.

"Here's your meal. Anything else?"

"How about your number?"

"Sorry, I can't do that."

I walked away.

"Bitch." Rocco muttered.

"Easy." Davis said.

I waited on others. I hadn't seen the men leave. Four in the morning came quickly. I hung up my apron and said goodbye to Abby.

"Where are you going?"

"Home."

"Bobby wants to take you."

"I'm capable of going myself."

"What about?"

"I can't live afraid of everything. I'll be fine "

Abby sighed.

"If you say so."

I grabbed my purse and walked out the back door. As I walked, I felt an ominous presence. I'd gone this way all the time.

"Well, Rocco, look who's here."

"Bout time,"

"What are you doing here?"

"We threw you a coming out party. It's not everyday we find a virgin."

I swallowed a lump in my throat. Of all the times I should have listened to Bobby, this was the only one I didn't.

"Leave me alone."

Davis laughed.

"No. Rocco, grab her."

I felt arms clamped down on me.

"Do we get to have fun?"

"In a minute,"

Davis approached me.

"I've been following you for a few weeks now. I even watched you in the shower and I must say, you don't disappoint."

I felt like puking. I felt like I was choking on air. I felt Davis touch my neck. His breath stunk like cheap beer and smoke.

"Let me go."

That's when his hold tightened.

"No."

That's when I felt like I could breathe. I saw a bear standing in front of me. I heard the roar. I saw the claws slashing. I saw teeth bite. I saw Rocco running. I saw Davis..

"Don't look, Chère. It's not pretty."

I opened my eyes to see Jace in a pair of boxer briefs.

"What.."

"Bobby told you to wait. When he saw you were gone, he sent me after you. He smelled those two a mile away. Are you okay?"

"I don't know."

The next thing I remember was a hospital, Ursa and Abby.

"Welcome back, Love. You've been in and out for a while. Jace brought you in last night. Short of a concussion, you're okay." Ursa said.

"I remember a bear.. I remember Davis.."

Ursa looked into my eyes.

"Geneva knew from the time she was twelve we were different. Your parents did too. They explained it in their own way."

I smiled.

"Teddy bears."

"Yes, ma'am. Jace Tucker is your personal teddy bear."

"You mean?"

"He is if you want him to be."

Standing in the doorway, his blonde hair in a ponytail. His green eyes captivating my heart and his goatee finally trimmed, stood Jace.

"How's about you leave my belle alone so she can rest? She's had a rough night."

"Yay! She's a member of the family!"

Abby said.

"My other half, right Belle?"

"That's correct, my teddy bear."

July 14, 2021 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.