Marching to the beat of love: Chapter Seven

Submitted into Contest #79 in response to: Write about two characters who’ve gone through something so intense they now feel like family.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction High School Romance

Disclaimer: I don't own Wynonna Earp or any of the characters. The other chapters will come around when a prompt that fits them does. This fanfiction so far has twelve chapters, so stick with it even if you don't understand it.

Tucker's POV

I walk down the hallway making my way towards the field, my lunchbox slaps against my leg every view steps. I don’t mind because I’m more focused on my mission than what’s slouching around inside my lunchbox. I see Wynonna and Nicole talking about something and laughing really hard. Waverly, my beautiful angel, is sitting next to Chrissy and Rosita, she seems to be laughing at something Doc said. The cowboy is sitting a row in front of them eating a small sandwich. 

I walk up to the group with a smirk on my face, “Hi, Waverly.” I say softly.

The whole group pauses looking up at me, Waverly looks at me looking confused before she waves at me with a small smile on her face. The smile looks shy, I must make her nervous, that's a good thing.

“What do you want Tucker?” Wynonna hisses at me, slightly glaring at Waverly for something, I shake it off.

“I want to talk with you and Rosita,” I say my smirk filling my face.

The two girls look at each other, confusion clear on their faces. It’s Rosita who talks next.

“What do you need to talk to us about?” She says in her silky, smooth voice. I really like her voice, if I wasn’t madly in love with Waverly, I might have liked her. Too bad she’s a freak like Wynonna, she could have a good life, but she’s letting Wynonna ruin that.

“I would like to make a deal with you two,” I say rubbing my hair down over my forehead as Wynonna scoffs.

“You don’t have anything I want, go make a deal with someone else,” she says shaking her head. My smirk turns sly as I pull out a folded piece of paper, I hand it over to Wynonna.

“Oh, but I think I do,” I say putting my hands into my pockets. 

Wynonna stares at the picture and Nicole looks over her shoulder, Her face complete with hate and rage. I’m a little shocked that she is grossed out by Wynonna, I could have sworn she was a homosexual as well. Well, I guess not.

Wynonna looks up slowly, her face full of the same hate and rage as Nicole’s “Where the hell did you get this.” She says standing up quickly, Nicole close behind her.

“I took it myself,” I say with a slight proud smile, and I shrug. The rest of the group are looking rather confused, this only makes me smile more. Rosita looks worried, as does Waverly and Doc.

Nicole grabs me by the shirt, lifting me just enough so that I’m on my tippy toes, if she was a wolf her teeth would be bared. I laugh in her face “Now, now. You don’t want your freak friends' little secret to get out, do you?” I ask her a shit-eating grin gracing my face.

She pauses for a moment looking at Wynonna, who still has rage and hate on her face, but there is a slight glimmer of fear as well. I feel pride fill my chest.

“Put him down, Nicole,” Wynonna says softly, putting her hand on Nicole’s shoulder.

Nicole listens reluctantly, as she releases me I straighten my collar.

“What do you want Tucker?” Wynonna continues and I smile triumphantly.

“A date with Waverly,” I say confidently

Waverly looks shocked “I’m dating someo-” she starts to say, but Wynonna cuts her off with a pointed look.

“Deal, now give me every picture you have. Never do anything like this again or you will regret it. You understand?” She hisses out, anger apparent on her face.

“Deal,” I say, handing her the stack of pictures from my bag and looking at Waverly, “I’ll pick you up Saturday at 9 pm sharp,” I say before turning and walking back into the school.

Wynonna’s POV:

I grip the papers in my hand as the full extent of the moment floods my body and mind. I was just blackmailed, I just gave that prick a date with my baby sister, he knows about me and Rosita, Nicole almost beat him up for me, Waverly has a boyfriend but now has to go out with him. My mind is reeling so badly that I don’t feel the hand squeezing my shoulder.

“Wynonna, it’s okay. We got the pictures, I’m sure he won’t do it again.” Nicole says now rubbing my back supportively.

I pull away from her, slapping her arm away “NO!” I suddenly yelled, scaring everyone in the bleachers. Waverly looks really concerned.

“Wynonna,” I hear Rosita’s soft voice and I calm slightly but then remember again and the anger fills me again

“That-That...PRICK!” I scream the last word and crunch up the pictures in my hand and rush down the bleachers and into the school.

I hear someone running after me, and I turn around suddenly. Nicole, Rosita, Waverly, Doc, and Chrissy are all standing there looking at me.

Nicole is the one who speaks up “Where you go, we go.” she says looking at them for confirmation and receives a nod from all of them.

“You don’t even know me that well, it’s only your second day. Why did you stand up for me? Why are you still trying to? Why haven’t you run yet?” I say as angry tears slip down my cheeks.

“You showed me kindness, Wynonna, not a lot of people would have shown a girl who literally looks like a dyke, any form of kindness. You accepted me when I told you that my image isn’t that far off, actually it fits me perfectly. I’ve been bullied my whole life, and then I came to purgatory and met you guy’s and now I don’t feel so left out. You showed me kindness and you know what I do for people who show me kindness? I show them love and I give them protection. If I need to protect you, I will, on the second day or not I’ll get suspended for any of you guys.” she finishes saying with a smile and the rest of the group puts a hand on her back and look at me and nod.

My face softens immediately and I rush over to her, pulling her into a hug. She hugs me back burying her face in my hair. We stay like that for a while before I pull away. “We’re going to report him, Waverly, you don’t have to go out with him. I’m sorry for forcing you, it was wrong of me. I’ll explain what this is all about when we get into the office okay?” I say looking over at Waverly and then the rest of the group.

They nod and we start walking back into the school.

We make our way towards the front office trying to act normal, but we’re all still slightly stirred up by everything that happened outside. Right before we go inside I pull Rosita to the side. “He took pictures of us, together in the parking lot,” I say softly 

She looks shocked at first before she sighs “Yeah, I had kinda assumed it was something of the sort. Well, If you're okay with telling the group about us, so am I.” She says moving a lock of my hair out of my face and behind my ear.

“You’re sure?” I ask just to make sure, “I don’t want to rush you or anything.” I continue.

“They aren’t going to do anything, I mean, did you see how quickly they all accepted Nicole? I’m sure it’s not going to be any different with us.” She says smiling softly “You’re not rushing me, I said I’m okay with it, so let's do this. We won’t let Tucker get away with this.” She continues with a shrug.

“God, I love you,” I say with a loving smile.

“I love you too.” She says the same smile on her face.

We walk into the office to see the group waiting for us, Nicole has a knowing look on her face, smiling softly. I walk past her shouldering her playfully.

I knock on Mrs. Lucado’s office door, after a moment I hear her say come in, and so I twist the doorknob and walk-in, Rosita, following behind me and the group close behind her.

Mrs. Lucado looks up at us, when she sees just how upset we look she shuts her computer and puts her glasses on the top of her head “What can I do for you children?” She asks in her usual formal tone, but it’s slightly softer.

“We would like to report blackmail, bullying, and harassment,” I say softly as I feel Rosita’s hand slip into mine and Nicole’s hand on my shoulder.

Mrs. Lucado’s eyebrows shoot up to her hairline “Uh, by whom?” she says slowly.

I take a deep breath “By Tucker Gardner, Ma’am.” I reply back trying to hide the tremor in my voice. I feel Rosita and Nicole’s grips tighten, so I know I didn’t do that good of a job. I’m glad they're here with me, cause I probably wouldn’t be able to have done this by myself.

Mrs. Lucado sighs before mumbling something under her breath as she presses a button on the intercom “Tucker Gardner to the front office please, Tucker Gardner front office please.” she says into the speaker before turning back to us “Tell me what happened, In detail, please.” She says leaning back into her chair.

“Tucker got ahold of some private information on both me and Rosita and used it to blackmail me into agreeing to let him go out with Waverly. At the time I had agreed, but I can’t force Waves into dating anyone. If I could, she wouldn’t be with Chump.” I say before receiving a glare from Waverly and a smirk from Nicole.

“What was this private information?” Mrs. Lucado says her fingers now crossed on the top of her desk, and she is leaning forward.

“Uh, information on me and Rosie’s sexuality and feeling for one another,” I say softly handing her the stack of pictures, she looks at them and shakes her head in anger. 

“So, You and Ms. Bustillos are in a relationship?” She says looking up from the pictures. I take a moment to see if there is any judgment in her eyes or on her face, when I don’t see any I nod my head.

I look around at my friends to see all of them smiling, what shocks me the most is the fact that they all except Waverly have knowing looks on their faces.

A couple minutes later a knock sounds around the room and Mrs. Lucado tells the person to come in.

Tucker makes his way into the office, he looks around before he spots us. When he does, fear fills his eyes. He looked over at Mrs. Lucado, who has a look that we all had moments before while standing on the bleachers. Hate and rage are clear in her eyes, but that’s not what scared any of us, it’s how calm she is.

“Tucker, is it true that you know about Wynonna and Rosita’s relationship?” She says leaning back in her chair.

“I-Uh- It’s- Ugh yes ma’am.” He stutters out looking down at the floor.

“Did you use this information to try and get a date with Waverly?” She says her voice still calm.

“Yes ma’am,” He says his hands opening and closing

“Tucker, You are expelled from this school until next school year. I will call your parents and let them know why and what the other options are for your education. I hope you will learn from your mistakes, and please Tucker, please repeat this. I will enjoy calling the cops on you so much.” She says a smile now on her face.

He stutters over his words before turning to Wynonna “This is all your fault, you little Bitch,” he says trying to walk over to her before he feels big gruff hands-on him dragging him out of the room. “YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS, EARP.” I hear him scream as a security guard drags him down the hall.

“I’m sure I will,” I say under my breath, a smirk forming on my face.

The group pulls me into a big hug, all of them laughing their asses off, I soon join them before I hear Waverly clear her throat. I tell the others to shut up, and they all turn to look at Waves. 

“I might be Bi,” she says softly looking at me, then at Rosita, and then at Nicole and then Chrissy and Doc.

“I know,” Nicole says, gripping her shoulder, giving her a side hug, she kisses the top of her head before her face heats up, and she pulls away. Waverly is blushing just as hard and it makes me smile.

The rest of the day goes by really fast and the news about Tucker spreads like wildfire. Everyone at practice was whispering about it. When Willa, Waverly, and I get home Gus is standing at the door, and she pulls all three of us into a huge hug.

“You’re all safe and unharmed right?” She asks, checking each of us slowly.

“Yes, Gus, we’re fine. He only blackmailed us, If you should be worried about anyone, it should be him. His dad is going to kill him.” I say with a grin on my face.

“Well, good. You girls go get cleaned up alright,” she says before turning around and walking into the kitchen.

“Yes ma’am,” we all say before rushing upstairs.

I think we’re going to be just fine this year with Tucker gone. Once Waverly gets rid of Champ, maybe it will be even better.

February 04, 2021 17:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

20:18 Mar 11, 2021

I love the dialogue in this story! It feels really well matched with the characters and doesn't leave much to be desired.

Reply

Jace A. King👑
16:44 May 03, 2021

Sorry just saw this...smh...I'm always late to these things...Thank you for the feed back :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:25 Feb 12, 2021

I love it! you will be an author on my bookcase!!!!

Reply

Jace A. King👑
16:05 Feb 12, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.