2 comments

Coming of Age Drama Contemporary

Dumpster Drivers


Patsy peeked out her blinds and grabbed her notebook. She watched the dumpster every night to make sure that people from other neighborhoods weren’t using the dumpsters. There had not been enough room in the dumpster for all the residents of the condo community to put their trash. And there were various and sundry rumors about strangers using the dumpster and or walking through the neighborhood at night. Patsy was determined to catch someone. She felt a rush of adrenalin when she saw a gray car pull up. Someone jumped out of the car and put a  Patsy grabbed her pen to write down the license number, but the driver had a temporary tag. There was no way to prove whether or not the person was a resident of the community. Patsy stared at the window again. Surely, she would catch someone or see something interesting.

Patsy had lived alone all of her life. She liked living out in the county. She loved listening to the sound of cicadas, crickets, and watching the deer gather at night. The critters and sounds of nature made her feel a little more connected with the world around her. She’d never been married and her brother was the only family member she had. She and her brother had been estranged for years. She’d moved into the condo neighborhood since the eighties and had been watching the dumpsters every night for the past decade. Anytime she saw suspicious behavior, she would call Condo Cathy, the President of the condo association and report her findings. Condo Cathy had recently changed her number, so Patsy called other residents. She felt like people tried to avoid her even though she was trying to do something for the community.

It was a myth that the condo association didn’t want people under the age of fifty to move into the condo community, but children were prohibited, as the Condo Association wanted to prevent “certain kinds of people” from moving into the community. The two women were the youngest residents in the community, and Patsy needed to find out more about them. What if those two women were in some kind of romantic relationship? Yes, times were changing, but that was so unnatural.

Patsy walked over to the window again and perked up when she saw someone’s headlights.  A young woman walked out of the car. It was one of the ladies who walked the collie! The woman was sobbing and put three garbage bags into the dumpster. The woman drove away. Patsy grabbed a flashlight, crept outside and walked over to the condo where the strange women were living. There definitely was a story there, and she would have so much to tell Condo Cathy.

Patsy perked up when she heard a door slam. The woman she saw at the dumpster was throwing things.

“Get out. Just get out!” she yelled.

The other woman poked her head out the door. Patsy ducked behind the bushes.

“I’m going to call the police if you don’t calm down,” the woman yelled. Patsy guessed the women were probably in their early forties. Her pulse was racing. 

“I want you out,” said the woman who was at the dumpster. “All you do is stay in bed all day.”

“I have fibromyalgia and my job is exhausting. I don’t need this stress in addition to everything else,” said the other woman.

“Then leave.”

The door slammed.

The woman who had been at the dumpster went back into the house. She came out with another garbage bag and headed towards the dumpster. Patsy turned off her flashlight ducked again. She had to be careful about walking at night, as there were lots of copperheads. Patsy waited till the woman was half-way to the dumpster and than crept out from behind the bushes. The woman was sobbing. Patsy tripped over a pine cone just before she got near the dumpster. The woman looked over her shoulder.

“Julie?”

Patsy’s pulse raced. What if the woman was a psychopath? Would she hurt an elderly woman who meant no harm?

“Who is there?”

The woman took out a flash light. Patsy tried to hide behind a tree.

“Who are you?”

Patsy slowly emerged.

“I’m Patsy. I live around the corner. I heard some noise and wanted to make sure everything is okay. “

The woman sniffed.

“Everything is fine,” she said.

“Well, I heard yelling and stuff. You okay?” Patsy asked.

“Are you?”

“Also, we have to limit how much trash put into the dumpsters cause they get full so fast.”

The woman paused.

“Well, I’m moving. And I’m having to throw out stuff.”

“You’re moving? Didn’t you just get here?

The woman took several deep breaths.

“Things aren’t working out,” she said.

“I’m sorry,” Patsy said.

“My roommate is mentally ill, and she’s having a psychotic breakdown.”

Patsy’s eyes widened. She wanted to ask the woman why she was the one who had been throwing stuff, but that might be dangerous. How could Condo Cathy let those kind of people into the community anyway?

The woman started crying again.

“I thought it would be good for us. We both have always lived alone. It’s hard to be alone,” the woman said.

Patsy’s eyes watered. Now the woman was making a little sense. Even crazies needed company, but two crazies couldn’t make a well-be.

“I’ve lived alone all my life. My Mama used to say being alone is better than being left alone. By the way, I’m Patsy.”

The woman shook her hand. 

“I’m Mary. It’s going to be expensive if she moves out. She’s paying part of the rent. Patsy wrinkled her nose. There was supposed to be restrictions on renters. She would have to ask Condo Cathy about the policy, as she didn’t want more rowdy neighbors, but she did feel bad for the woman. Her kind of craziness was starting to make a little sense.

“But it is hard being alone. I keep myself busy. If you stay busy, you won’t feel alone. I’m part of the community watch.”

The woman nodded.

“Well, that’s good you’re busy,” she said.

The woman wiped her eyes.

“So who is moving?”

“My roommate is moving out. All she does is sleep all day, and she’s about to lose her job. She’s missed too many days at work.”

“How’d you get mixed up with someone like that?”

“We met at an apartment complex. The rent kept going up, so we decided to rent a place together. She seemed to have it together.”

Patsy nodded.

“Well, you can’t always tell with people. Sounds like you’d be better off without her. It’s better not to get too involved with some people. I like my neighbors, but I keep to myself. You just can’t tell about people.”

Mary nodded. Patsy looked up at the sky. The stars were so bright on such a clear night. Patsy had never paid much attention to the stars. She’d been too busy watching the dumpster.

“Well, you’re better off not having a roommate if she don’t treat you right. And if you ever need company I live over there.” Patsy pointed to her condo.

“Thanks. I guess I better be getting home.” Mary said.

“Good luck,” Patsy said. Patsy watched Mary walk back to her condo. The woman looked so alone. Yes, it was good not to get too mixes up with people, but sometimes a person just needed to talk. Maybe Mary wasn’t really crazy, but the roommate was driving her over the edge. Bad company could definitely make a person crazy.

Patsy walked towards her condo. After she entered her condo, she decided she’d get some sleep before sunrise. When she’d gotten into her bed, she’d wondered what her life would’ve been like if she’d taken more risks and allowed people into her life.

But maybe there were worse things than being alone. At least she’d finally made a friend. sometimes a person just needed a friend and there was always hope disreputable people could find themselves and turn their lives around.



June 05, 2021 07:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Josephine Samuel
11:27 Jun 06, 2021

Wonderful story. I just love how well you can communicate to the reader with dialogue.

Reply

Meta M Griffin
04:33 Jun 07, 2021

thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.