Tommy Comet Gets Cancelled

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Fiction

Liz From The Internet was focused, making sure she didn’t screw up. Being sure she was recording she was recording a wide shot. “I don’t think this is going to work Tommy.” She remarked as she zoomed in and out on her screen. “The two-way mirror is impossible for the camera to record the room.”

Tommy Comet looked through the two-way mirror. “Well we have the CCTV footage.”

Tommy almost felt bad for a moment while looking at his beaten and battered friend on the floor. Then he turned to the camera, “just keep it rolling, follow me as I walk in.”

“HAHAHAHAHAAHA” Tommy Comet stepped into the hallway, looking at the camera he asked, “don’t you think he’s had enough?”

As he turned the knob open his friend’s voice cried out, “I’m sorry I promise I don’t want to die. Just please don’t kill me.”

*Pft* Tommy Comet tried holding back his laughter. Then burst out, “HAHAHAHA.”

“Wait.” Their friend stood up, wiping in his face with the cloth that bound his hands. “Is that you Tommy?” He asked.

“That’s right you’ve just been cranked dude.” Tommy explained while hysterically laughing.

His friend looked at him with eyes full of hatred, “I’m gonna kill you.”

“Come on man don’t worry about it. Now that I know I can trust you, I’ll never have to torture you like this again.”

Tommy walked out of the room as his friend replied, “you’re such a F@#$ A@#$ H@#$.”

Liz voiced some concern as he followed behind Tommy, her phone still recording. “Damnit, aren’t you going to say anything to Jim?”

“What would I say to him?” Tommy mused.

“Well for starters an apology.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Tommy Comet minimized the situation, “he would never do anything to betray me. I know that beyond a doubt now.”

“That’s not as much what I’m worried about.”

When they reached the outside of the building, Liz took a step back as Tommy’s entourage and some cameras surrounded him.

“I forgot you also had a shooting of Tommy’s Life today.” Liz remarked to herself as she hung back near the set snacks. “Power changes people.”

Then she paused and looked around to see if anyone was watching. All the attention as always was on Tommy. “He doesn’t deserve anything.”

Multiple cameras all sitting on a stocky man’s shoulder danced around Tommy, dragging hazardous black cords in their wake. The bright lights being directed and redirected switched on and off continuously. Liz followed the circus around for a while. Until the club scene was wrapped, and they were on the way home. Liz sitting in back of Tommy’s limo as they rode back to his place.

“I think for the next prank video I’m going to get Ron.”

“Okay?” Liz immediately began imagining the worst-case scenarios. “What would the prank be?”

“I think I’m going to order a bunch of strippers to his fake birthday party at my house.”

“Are you sure that is a good idea?”

“Yes, I’m sure.” Tommy immediately began to fume. “I don’t think you’re the social media celebrity, are you?” Liz remained silent, “that’s what I thought.”

“Okay, so I will need you to arrange the whole thing. Do you know those girls from the Sugar Palace? I think they should probably be perfect.”

Tommy had a dangerous glint in his eye as they pulled up to his home.

Great Liz asked, “so are you going to go to bed? You know we have that meeting with Big Time Media tomorrow.”

“Yes mom, I’m going to bed.” They parted ways with each other in Tommy’s driveway. Liz hopping into her car and driving back to her home on the opposite side of town. She hated driving down the hills, but she loved driving up them.

The next day Liz was outside Tommy’s front gate ringing the doorbell before the sun was up. Tommy woke from his self-inflicted coma groggy with a stinging headache to let her in. He greeted her at the door, “God woman, did you even sleep?”

“Of course, I did, I’m just an early riser.” Liz continued, “you know that the interview is in one hour, right?”

“Jesus, you mean that is right now. Okay I will be right back.”

She screamed from the bottom of the stairs as he walked away. “We need to be on the other side of town.”

Liz was left sitting by herself in middle of Tommy’s gigantic living room surrounded by trash. She answered some emails on her phone and did several more tasks before she realized how much time had passed. When she snuck upstairs, she saw he had fallen asleep.

Later when he woke up, he was reinvigorated. “Forget Big Time Media, this next video is going to be priceless trust me.”

“Listen I already rescheduled with Big Time Media. You were having a stomach virus.”

“Okay that should be fine. After this next video they’ll be begging for an affiliate program with me.”

“Alright, time to get started.”

So, the set up began. Tommy immediately began making phone calls, chit chatting with a bunch of different friends and inviting them over to record a vlog. His friends were always more than eager to star on one of Tommy’s videos. His channel regularly attracted millions of views, and in the valley anyone would do almost anything for clout.

“Liz when are we recording?”

Liz shrugged her shoulders.

“You didn’t order the strippers?”

“Was I supposed to?”

“I told you to!”

“Okay, that’s right those girls from Sugar Palace.”

“Yeah, I’m having everyone come over at 5.”

Liz fired up her I-Phone and began making phone calls. Unfortunately, last minute strippers were not as easy to hire as she imagined. In fact, no girls at Sugar Palace were available. So, Liz began getting desperate. She was on the phone for the next few hours, up until the point that filming was about to start.

His friends all gathered around in his living room, with Liz using her phone to film.

“Okay, guys I invited you over here early to tell you the plan. Any minute now Ron is going to come into the door. Then after that we got the strippers coming!”

His entire entourage laughed, as the bell rang. Tommy ran to the door and let Ron in. “Hey buddy, how are you doing?”

Ron, flicking his joystick on the arm rest forward, rolled into Tommy’s house. The electric wheels whirring as he complained. “You know you really need to make this place more handicap accessible.” Tommy pulled him up a few steps into the living room.

When Ron had settled, he asked, “so what is the plan for today?”

“I’m glad you asked buddy,” Tommy announced, tapping Ron on the head.

As if on cue the strippers walked in the door, shaking their bodies and jiggling every part of their bodies. Immediately you could see Ron beginning to cry “So who is the lucky birthday boy.” One of them asked in her breast baby voice.

“What are you guys doing?” Ron cried out.

“This is your birthday present boy.”

“It’s our gay friend’s birthday.” Tommy pointed at Ron. “I think we’re going to turn him straight tonight though boys.”

Liquor and beer began to flow as Liz continued to record everything. Tommy laughing in the background, and all of his friends taking turns getting lap dances. The strippers began to take part in the party as well, and before you knew it everyone was partying and Liz wasn’t sure when Tommy had gotten the content he wanted, so she just continued recording.

Liz was still recording the next morning when everyone had passed out, and Ron was nowhere to be seen.

“Where did Ron go?” Tommy asked groggy when he woke up.

“I helped him leave. He couldn’t spend the night here.”

“Okay great, well I hope we got the shots we needed.”

The next morning Tommy began editing. In his room for hours, laughing at all the ugly faces Ron was making. Using every shot he could that featured him crying. Finally, when he was finished with the video it was ready to post. He did feel like it was his best work yet.

The reception was not what he expected. In fact, a few hours after dropping the video he removed it, but it was too late. The video had been duplicated hundreds of times and the internet had permanently claimed his property.

Half his fanbase turned against him, until he finally released an apology video, but by that time the work had been done. And Tommy Comet was officially cancelled.

April 09, 2021 17:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.