2 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy Drama

It was time to read Grandma’s will.

The attorney entered the room with a wooden box and an enveloped letter. 

Once he sat down, he opened both the box and the letter and started mentioning which items where left to whom. 

Everyone fell right into sense to what Grandma had left them with, but me. She left me a key and comment written on the letter ‘Only you know the answer to it’. 

I spent the whole afternoon and night thinking about what that key could possibly be for. 

The next morning, right when I woke up, I started thinking about a little cabin next to the woods on Forerain Street which Grandma would also talk to me about, and every time we would walk by, she would point at it. She said that cabin was a very special place for her during her childhood, but we never actually entered it.

Right after I had breakfast, I decided to head out to check out the cabin. It was spring time, so the sun was just starting to warm up, about 70º. Flowers from the trees were blossoming already. 

When I got to the cabin, it felt strange. That was a special place for me because every time I saw it, I was with my Grandma, and being near it without her made me realize she was really gone. 

As a approached the cabin, I saw there was a lock on the door, which I assumed was the place for the key Grandma left me. 

Entering the cabin was the most wonderful feeling. There were rays of sun coming from every window, and every one of them landed on a little box right in the back of the cabin. It also smelled like Grandma. Being there made me feel like she was there with me. It was a very comforting feeling. 

I opened the box, but then I got surprised by what was in it. It was a necklace with a decently thick chain and a transparent crystal containing a very rare powder. The powder was black and white, as well as colorful. 

The necklace was on top of a letter from Grandma. The letter said ‘Dear boy, this necklace will let you see what’s ahead of you, what your future holds. But remember, always be yourself. I love you very dearly. Love Grandma’. 

My eyes started tearing, and I felt the need to put the necklace on. Just as I did, the powder inside the crystal started to move rapidly, and shining like when you look at the sun. 

Without realizing, I was rapped in a gigantic sparkle. All I could see was light. Just as the light deemed, my surroundings had changed. I wasn’t in the cabin anymore. I had appeared in this immense office with a huge window facing many skyscrapers. The office had a big glass desk where a big computer was standing, and a tall pile paper as well. 

Everything had my name on it. I seemed like my office. 

I think this whole think was a glance of my future, according to what Grandma’s letter said. I just have been some big shot. 

The only thing I was missing were picture of family; but not my siblings and parents, I was missing photos of a girlfriend/wife and kids. And according to the huge portrait of me hung on the wall, I seemed old enough to be married, about 35 years old.

I started looking arounds in all the shelves and drawers around the office, but nothing contained details about my personal life. Everything was work related. 

I became desperate and tried to log into the computer as well as the phone inside one of the drawers. 

All I could find were emails work-related, messaged from my mom asking about my non-existing love life, and messages and pictures from my siblings and their little kids. It seemed like everyone had a great life but me. They all had found someone in their lives who completed them and had created a family of their own. 

I, on the other hand, had focused on work for too long… That is not what I wanted, not what I promised my Grandma. I had an empty life, no one to share it with. 

I decided to go to my house. I found the address on one of the forms in the computer standing on the desk. Maybe there I could start over, or at least fix it. 

Once I got there, I realized all I had to do was to go back to being the family member I was and then everything would fall back into piece. 

Three days later, at a family gathering, I met one of my sister’s friends who I asked out on a date. 

After the first date with the woman, I got home and just as I closed the door, the powder from the necklace that brought me to this time, started to appear in the air. Moments later, all I could see was the powder surrounding me as if I were in a cloud made of it. Its brightness blinded me, and out of nowhere, I was back in the cabin where it all began. This time, all the powder had vanished in the air, and the necklace had no powder anymore. 

I knew from that moment and on I would carry that necklace with me for the rest of my life. It doesn’t matter the fact that the powder was gone, but the memory and reminder of what I had seen and had learned would always be there with me. 

After that, I went straight to the graveyard where Grandma was buried and dropped my whole experience on her. I told her about every single detail, and most importantly, I thanked her for helping me see the great mistake I was about to make if I didn’t take love seriously and spent too much time working.

Anyway, the day after, I had my friends arrange a night out as a chance for me to get involved in something other than the recent loss, and to meet new people and introduce me to a nice girl I could try to start something meaningful with.

Only then, I knew I was on the right path. What my Grandma had always told me about.

Choose love over work, that will bring you happiness. 

September 04, 2020 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

04:48 Sep 10, 2020

I like how his grandma even in passing let him see his future and be able to change it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crystal Lewis
01:41 Sep 09, 2020

Nice story with a nice message. :) Feel free to read my story “The Fish, the Stork and the Monkey” as it also has a message to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.