2 comments

Science Fiction

Who’s Left?

By: Hannah Cairns

Josset

It’s done. It’s over. I give up. But deep down I just wish someone would stop me, but there is no one. So why should I keep going? I’ve been lonely all my life but this is a different kind of lonely. I have always had the option to find someone, but I was always scared they would leave me. And now everyone has died. What is the point of living if you’re alone?

It sounds deep and disturbing that I am trying to find the best way to kill myself right now. 

I am excited to die. I can finally end my loneliness and go to heaven. I know God doesn’t want me to kill myself, but I can’t live like this until I die. Maybe i’m being selfish. The thing is that I think I have a right to be selfish at a time like this. I could waste my time trying to find other people, but what if there are no more people. I would have wasted so much time and feel even worse than I do right now.

I got up on the edge of the bridge and said sorry to God.

“I’m so sorry God. I don’t know why you left me to survive but I can’t take the loneliness. The bible says that all we need is you, but then why did you create Eve?

No one wants to be alone.”

!!!!!!

I was just about to jump, but I heard a voice coming from behind me.

“Hey!”

I turned around so quickly that I almost fell.

“Who are you?” we both said at the same time.

“I’m Eve,” she said as I got off the edge.

    “I’m Josset, you survived?” I asked in shock.

    “Yeah.”

    “Are we the only people?” I asked.

    “I’ve been driving across the country, haven’t found anyone left.”

    “Well I guess you found me.”

    “I knew I would find someone,” she said in a confident voice.

    “Have you been looking for anyone too?” she asked.

    “No. I don’t want to get my own hopes up and waste a bunch of time.”

We both sat down on the cement and just sat in awkward silence.

    “Don’t kill yourself. There is still hope,” she said then paused for a minute.

    “We found each other. I think that’s a pretty big sign of hope. So looks like you’re stuck with me, because I’m not going to let you die.”

    “Why? You don’t even know me,” I asked.

    “I can tell you’re special and need my help.”

    “I’m not special. I don’t know why you would say that to a stranger that was just about to kill herself.” I said while looking down on the ground.

    “I found you and stopped you from killing one of the only people left on earth. I think that’s a pretty big sign of fate or whatever. And if you really wanted to die you would have jumped anyway after I said hey.”

    We both just looked at eachother and didn’t know what to say.

    “Well then I guess you’re stuck with me too,” I said.

    “Wanna explore the world with me?” she asked.

    “Would you even take no for an answer?”

    “Probably not. We can go anywhere we want. Where should we go first?”

    “You choose, you are the one who stopped me from drowning myself.”

    “True. How about Paris.”

    “How? We can’t exactly drive there.”

    “I know how to work a boat and read a map.”

    “Oh course you do, let's go then.”

    I got my stuff out of my car and put it in hers until we got to her boat.

    “You have your own boat?” I asked in amazement. I never had money. In fact I was homeless when the comet came.

    “Yeah. my parents bought it for me when I graduated,” she said then stopped immediately and looked like she was about to cry.

“Sorry, it’s just that I lost my parents.”

“I’m sorry, I lost someone I cared about too when the come-”

“No no. They died years ago from cancer. Well my mom did and my dad killed himself afterward. I guess I wasn’t enough to keep him going.”

“Wow, i’m sorry.” I wasn’t sure what to say to that. Maybe that’s why she cared so much about me trying to kill myself.

“No one really wants to die Eve, they just want relief from pain.”

“Well he told me I was just a reminder that she is dead before he died. But it’s not like I didn’t lose her too.”

I could tell that she didn’t want to talk anymore; she just walked onto the boat. It was an incredible boat. I payed attention to it for like five seconds then looked at her. She looked broken and empty which was weird because earlier today she looked the opposite.

!!!!!!

When we got to Paris she looked a lot better. It took awhile but we went to the eiffel tower while at sunset. It was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen. Then I looked at Eve while she looked at the sunset, and I could notice that she was even more beautiful than the sunset.

There was no time to waste. I don’t know when I was going to die but I knew that it would be soon. I touched her face and kissed her and she kissed me back.

We were both surprised by what just happened. But I was even more surprised by what happened next. She took out a knife, stabbed me, and said…

“I wasn’t going to let you kill yourself.”

After she said that she pulled the knife out and stood up.

“I hate you for trying to kill yourself. You don’t deserve to live. You  are so selfish, just like my dad. I really think I would have liked you if you weren't so selfish.”

She got up and left. I can tell I am dying. Whoever reads this just know I tried. I tried to be strong and hold on to what little I had left, and I now clearly realized that I don’t want to die but it’s too late now.

!!!!!!

After she wrote that drops of blood went on the diary and she bled out. Turns out a lot more people survived than she thought. About two hundred survived and they found her, I was one of those two hundred. She died for nothing and it makes me angry. No one has found the girl that did this, which also makes me think, was this diary real or did she kill herself on her own. I guess we will never know but someone is dead for no reason at all, and it gets on my nerves.

April 26, 2020 23:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nathan ????
21:19 Jun 17, 2021

What is your nudes link

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maggie Deese
21:13 May 06, 2020

Hi, Hannah! I really enjoyed your story. You had great dialogue for each of the characters. However, I would like to know more backstory. It would have been nice if you included how the world got this way. Also, I was a bit confused by the ending as to who died. I would just try to be a bit more descriptive so your story has more punch. Other than that, good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.