0 comments

Drama Fiction Fantasy

 In the kingdom of Colada, on earth ‘s twin planet Gaia evolving 800 years behind, there lived on Island-55, Jenk a judge who was about 40. He was tall, fair and handsome. One day while he had gone marketing he saw an elderly man paying the lighthouse toll and asked  “Where’re you from?”

“I’m from Anaka. I’m a wizard. I’m here for a 10 day stay.”

Jenk said “I’m a judge here and have lived all forty years of my life here. I’ve never been out of I-55. I long to visit Anaka about which I’ve heard a lot.”

“It’s very simple. Think of the place where you would like to be and leave it to me.”

The wizard pulled out a vial and sprinkled a few drops on Jenk’s head and said “Go to Anaka.”

Jenk felt as if he had been lifted and dropped on a ship at sea. The ship was proceeding on the sea when suddenly there was a violent storm. The ship sank but Jenk was able to swim ashore. He was naked as the only cloth he wore had been swept away. It looked like it was midday when he opened his eyes. He saw he was in a grove, and picking up some leaves covered himself as much as he could. He said to himself “I shouldn’t have chosen to step out of I-55” as he walked inland. Soon he saw a man and asked “Where am I? I escaped from a ship wreck.”

The man said “This is Kankan the place to which exiled criminals are sent.”

Judge Jenk himself,  besides other judges, had sent several to exile at Kankan but he had no knowledge about the place.  Jenk asked “I’ve landed here by accident. I’ve no clothes to wear, No food to eat. I’m not a criminal. What do I do?”

The man said pointing “We, exiles, have organized ourselves to survive. Go that way till you reach the big banyan tree. Facing it is Rinki’s place. She will help you. She has helped many who had been shipwrecked. In fact she gets money for her help to strangers.” The man paused and said “She is a stickler for morality. She is here as she murdered her husband for his affair with a courtesan. Offend her and you’re gone.”

Jenk walked along and was soon at Rinki’s place. The middle-aged woman responded to his knock. On seeing him she walked in and came back carrying a dress for him. She said “First cover yourself.” She turned her head away as he clothed himself.

He said “I swam ashore from a wrecked ship.”

She said “I can see that. You must be hungry. I’ll give you food.” She was back with a big leaf covered with cooked rice and some fish curry. He ate the food with relish as he was extremely hungry. She gave him water which he drank.

After he had thanked her he asked “Where can I stay here?”

She said “There is a hut with a thatched roof on the seashore. You can’t miss it.”

“Yes. I saw it.”

“You can sleep there. It’s quite comfortable. I’ll give you one more cloth for changing” which she did.

“What’ll I do for food?”

“The ingredients are in the hut. By the side of the hut there is a mud oven and firewood. There is drinking water inside in a big pot. You’ve to catch fish for your meals.” She added “If you wander around you’ll find another similar hut may be bigger. It’s up to you.”

Jenk thanked the woman and walked to the hut. It was cool inside and he made himself comfortable inside it. Sleep overtook him. In the middle of the night he got up as it looked like someone had entered the hut. In the light of the moon he saw 2 women. One seemed older and the younger was completely nude since she stood with her palms shielding her loins.

The elder woman said “I’m Wicky and this is my sister Rolli. We were on our way to Anaka where her husband lives, when our ship was attacked by pirates. It has started raining outside. Allow us to share your hut.”

“There’s scarcely any room for 2 here let alone for 3.”

Wicky said “In times like this we have to adjust. We’re tired and sleepy.”

He stretched out with legs folded.The women lay down on either side of him and soon started snoring. He couldn’t sleep as he was conscious of the two women between whom he lay sandwiched. He was uncomfortable as he slept fitfully. In the morning, he gave his spare cloth for Rolli to wear.

The senior woman asked “What’s your name?”

“Jenk.”

Giving directions Jenk said “Wick y, get clothing from Rinki.”

Wicky was soon back with a dress for Rolli. Wicky said “I’ll cook the meal after you’ve caught some fish .” She said looking up “There is the net hanging from the roof.”

Jenk carried the net and was soon back with fish. He used the traditional method of rubbing stones to create sparks and Wicky prepared the dishes. At lunchtime they had a sumptuous meal.

Wicky asked “Jenk, where are we now?”

Jenk said “We’re on the island of Kankan in the Serelia Sea.”

“My God! The exile island! What a place to land in. How’re we to get out of this place?”

“I’ve the same question and find no answer.”

They sat talking for a while and after an early dinner Jenk said “I feel there’ll be rain tonite. Where will be sleep?”

Wicky said “Inside the hut. We’ll manage like last night.”

Jenk was again sandwiched between the two women and tried to sleep but Wicky wasn’t. Her meddling kept Jenk awake and he lost control. Wicky took the initiative and Jenk could do nothing but cooperate. Soon he was surprised as Rolli joined and there was a ménage a trios as it is charmingly put in the French language. After he had had his turn with the women he said “Wicky, how is it that you two cooperated?”

Wicky said with a laugh “I became a widow early and remain single, but Rolli’s husband was demanding and by invitation I got in. No harm done.”

The next day Rinki visited the hut on the shore. She said “How could three be accommodated in this tiny hut?”

She turned to Wicky and said “You came to me seeking clothes but you didn’t tell me there was another woman with you.”

“I thought I shouldn’t bother you with details.”

Rinki was very angry as she said “If I had known you were two women I would’ve accommodated you elsewhere. You three slept here!” She paused and continued “I was married and lived with my husband. I had a very moral upbringing. My husband had two wives - I and another. Despite it he fell for a courtesan. He kept it a secret as he knew I would object. When I got to know about it I stabbed him and he died. I was exiled.” She again paused and said “I hate men. This fellow slept with you two. Knowing men I’m sure I can guess what all could’ve happened.” Jenk was now shivering as Rinki reached for a knife which had been used to prepare fish for cooking.

She said “I know what these women would’ve caused in you. You deserve to die.”

As she raised the knife Jenk said “I wish I had stayed home. I made a mistake having travelled from my tropical island.”

In a moment he was back in I-55 again. He met the wizard who had launched him who asked “How was Anaka?”

He didn’t answer and said to himself “I don’t think I’ll ever wish to travel outside my favourite I-55.”

END

March 03, 2021 05:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.