0 comments

Contemporary Drama Teens & Young Adult

2 Years ago

I had just hung up on May. I didn't know what to do.

She said she was pregnant. I ... I don't know what to do! I wasn't expecting this! I don't even know her that well! I've met her twice! The second time didn't even really count because we were drunk for most of it and neither of us remembered much. I wouldn't usually do things like this. One night stands weren't my thing and ... doing it, unprotected wasn't something I do either. I feel like an idiot! I need to slow down and give myself a chance to think.

I sat down on the nearest item to me, which happened to be my living room table. I put my head in my hands and thought hard.

Okay. I didn't have any plans on being a father yet. Maybe never but, if she took the time to call me, that means that she likely wants to keep the baby. If she doesn't then she wants me to decide with her. So, the first thing I need to do is make sure that she understands that it's her choice. It's her body and her kid too. If she wants to keep it, that's what we're doing. If she wants to get rid of it, I'll let her do so. It's my fault for letting something like this happen so, I'll take charge.

I decided to call May. As I thought about it, I realized that I had hung up on her and I may have made things worse for her which wouldn't be good for the baby if she chooses to keep it.

"Yoonki?" May said over the phone.

"Hey, May. I'm sorry for hanging up. I was caught off guard and I needed a little time to think."

"It's okay." I could hear the fear in her voice and I could tell that she was starting to cry again from the tone of her voice.

"It's all up to you. I'll take full responsibility for the baby. You don't have to keep it-" She interrupted before I could finish.

"I'm keeping it! It's a living human. It's been at least a month. The baby has developed a heart beat already. Even if I wanted to get rid of it, I wouldn't at this point."

I nodded my head, ignoring the fact that she couldn't even see me. "I'll pay for everything and I'll check in on you if you want me to."

"Thank you for doing this Yoonki."

"I'm not a monster or a teenager. I'm a fair person. Maybe I'm not the nicest person but I'm not going to leave my own flesh and blood and it's mother to fend for themselves. It was my fault that it got to this point so I'll take care of it."

"Thank you. I'm glad you're you."

My heart did something new for a moment. I wasn't exactly sure what. Maybe it was anger towards her. Maybe it was embarrassment. Either way, the feeling was different.

"Would you like me to check in on you every once in a while then?"

"I think that would be nice."

"Do you like the restaurant Delightfully Delectable?"

"Isn't it that really expensive, new restaurant that's just downtown?"

"Yeah. That's the one."

"I've only been there once and, it was nice but, I don't really have the money for a place like that."

"Don't worry about it. I'll be paying. We'll meet there once a week. How's Saturday at twelve-thirty in the afternoon?" There was a pause on the other side before May answered.

"I can do that but, are you sure that you don't want to go anywhere .... less expensive?"

"I've got plenty of money plus, I really enjoy the food there."

"Okay. I guess I'll see you in a few days then."

"Bye, May"

"Bye, Yoonki."

. . .

"What do you want?" I asked May as I stared at the menu and tried not to stare at her. She had come in a few minutes ago and she looked more beautiful than ever. She had worn a pretty short, blue skirt that puffed out like a Korean schoolgirl skirt does. She had chosen a yellow crop top with a low v neck that was rather tight to her skin. I had noticed that there were pink satin strings sticking out of her bag that she carried on her shoulder. Dancing shoes, probably. It would make sense since I had seen a few dancing trophies in her room and dancing pictures.

"What would you suggest?"

May pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked up from the menu into her light blue eyes. I couldn't help but outline her facial features with my eyes. Her cute, button nose and high cheek bones. My eyes finally stopped on her thin lips. She had chosen a dark, red-violet lipstick and it made her skin seem eve lighter than it already was, making me feel like I was staring at a beautifully painted porcelain doll.

"Yoonki?" I snapped out of my thoughts again and answered her this time.

"Oh! I heard that their Korean dishes are really good."

"I wouldn't mind trying something new!"

"Would would you two like?" A server had made there way up to the table and held a notepad in his hand.

"We'll take two plates of Kimchi."

"Would you like any drinks, desserts, side dishes or anything else?" The server said.

"I'll take a water." I said.

"I'll have the same." May said. The waiter nodded and wrote something down in his notepad before looking up again.

"Anything else I can get for you guys?"

I looked at May. "Do you want anything? Dessert?"

"I'm okay, thank you." May said.

"That'll be all, thank you." The waiter nodded and left.

It was silent for the next ten minutes and then the waiter brought the food back. I started to eat and May watched me for a moment before trying a bite of her Kimchi. I saw her face contort and she spit the food out. She grabbed her water and started to gulp down the entire glass before realizing that it wasn't helping. She started to pant as she looked at me.

"To spicy?" I asked. She nodded her head vigorously as she continued to pant and I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I quietly texted something as I watched May stare at me in disbelief from the corner of my eye. She was still panting when Jun came running out with some bread and milk in his hands. He was wearing his chefs uniform with a large chefs hat on top, indicating that he was the main chef. He ran up to our table and handed the bread to May, putting the milk on the table in front of her.

"What did you do to her, Yoonki?" Jun asked. May took a drink of the milk first. "I'm sorry about him. He's kind of stupid. Bread helps too." May took a bite of the bread and finally spoke after a moment, still breathing hard to cool her tongue down.

"What's in this? Lava mixed with the son of Satan? How in the world is it that hot! It's not even spicy! It's literally HOT!"

Jun started to laugh. "I'm really sorry about Yoonki. He should've told you that it was spicy." May nodded.

"Thank you for bringing me that milk and bread. Can I ask who you are though?"

"I'm the owner of this restaurant and a good friend of Yoonkis. I apologize again for his idiocy." I watched Jun bow and May smile. Something different went off in my heart. It seemed I was feeling a lot of new things around May.

5 Months Later

May and I had become an official couple a few months into the dating and then, quickly after that, May became my fiance. She was in a bit of a rush since she was six months pregnant and she was showing a lot by now. She still had about three months but she wanted to be married before she had the baby and while her figure still looked a bit presentable. I think she's beautiful no matter what but, what May wants, May gets.

I have to point out that, before all this happened, I was only attracted to her looks. As it turns out, she's got a personality that I like, for some reason. I don't know why since she's the total opposite of me but, there's just something about her that pulls me towards her.

I'm really excited to see our baby. We want the gender to be a surprise but, I have a feeling that it's gonna be a girl. May thinks so too.

I've also found that she doesn't seem to be like most things I've read about pregnant women. She really down to earth and she never gets angry. She does have a monstrous appetite but she doesn't freak out over it. Then again, maybe it's because I always manage to get food to her before she gets angry. who knows?

Present Time

"You still didn't tell me what last years resolution was. I waited a whole year to hear what you wanted to change and what made you so happy." Jaemin said to me.

"Alright! I'm getting there! Be patient!"

1 Year ago

June was one month old. She was born just a few days after Christmas! She really was the sweetest little thing.

I still remember the exact day it happened. The day I decided what my new years resolution was. It was more of a vow. A promise, if you will.

I had been stewing over what I should change or attempt to do this year. I remember sitting on the couch with the baby in my arms. She had her hand reaching toward my face and she was cooing at me. I smiled and made a promise to her that day that I would have never imagined making the year before.

"I will raise you to be just like your mother. I'll make a promise to you right now. I will be there for you for the rest of your life and I will help you with what ever you decide to do and be. I don't care what it is. I'll be there. I promise." I felt a tear slide down my cheek and then warm arms wrapped around my neck from behind. I felt more tears drop onto my shoulder as a felt a soft whisper in my ear.

"I love you, Yoonki." I smiled and took a hand out from under the baby to put it onto May's arm.

"I love you too, May. And I love our sweet girl."

Present Time

"That was your resolution?! To be with your daughter when she needs you?!!" Jaemin yelled.

"Yeah! What's so wrong with that?"

"Everyone knows that it's your ONE JOB as a parent to be there for your kid."

"Oh, shut up!" I said as I smacked Jaemin on the shoulder and we both laughed.

January 07, 2021 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.