ENTERTAINMENT FROM AND FOR ALL AGES

Submitted into Contest #123 in response to: Set your story backstage at the theater. ... view prompt

2 comments

Christmas Drama Holiday

ENTERTAINMENT FROM AND FOR ALL AGES


The invitation went out from the local dancing school to the community for singers and dancers. The owner came right to our local senior center and asked for volunteers. The participants were to work with the dancing school students for the upcoming holiday recital. I had chosen to audition for singing. The song I had decided to sing was, Brenda Lee’s “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree”.


“Rocking Around the Christmas Tree” is a very upbeat song and very easy for the students to dance too. I was somewhat skeptical as I maneuver with a walker to be among those young girls and boys. The owner of the dancing school, she assured me I would have help and be able to do the audition. At the audition someone took my walker up the back stairs. I took hold of the rail on my right side and someone took my left arm and I made the stairs. I was shaking but I was steady, it was only five stairs but I am not used to stairs.


Still shaking and nervous I proceeded to center stage and sat on the seat of my walker while the song was getting ready to be cued. When motioned I belted out “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree”. Having a strong alto-tenor voice and singing in tune I was going to be in the holiday recital!!! I took a long breath and did a half of a courtesy, as there were some people at the audition as I looked over from center stage.


I was assisted back down the stairs from back stage and watched the students dance some of their numbers. Oh! to be young again and have the agility that the dancers had. I had watched them from backstage and now I would watch the from the auditorium.

We had, had two rehearsals before the holiday recital. I was getting nervous but at least I was getting sturdier, I was even moving to the beat of the song somewhat. The dancers were absolutely brilliant with their dancing and did not miss a beat. The choreography was second to none. They would dance and tumble around the carboard Christmas Tree. All the dancing and cartwheels and splits at the end were really something to behold.


It’s SHOWTIME!!! “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree” was the fifth number in the program but I had to be there an hour before the recital started. I was moved up from the backstairs to the backstage fifteen minutes before the show started. The students looked beautiful and handsome in their outfits. Red, blue, silver, green, and white. Sequins and sparkles and fluff. The owner donned herself in gold lam’e and sequins also. So pretty and regal she is and an excellent dance instructor. There is a lot you can see from backstage.


The first number was “Walking in a Winter Wonderland”, followed by “Silver Bells”. The third number even though it is controversial now was “Let it Snow”. I was really nervous by now as one more number myself and the dancers that were assigned to my number would be next! I was moved from backstage to wait between the second and third curtain. “Carol of the Bells” was song before I would sing, “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree”. The curtain closed after Carol of the Bells as it did before the first number and all the numbers in between I was hurried out to center stage to sing.


As I looked out from center stage, I could seed the auditorium was packed. The audience was mostly there to see the dancers as it should be. The stage lights were bright I was glad I did not have to read anything lyrics or otherwise. I wore blue slacks and a holiday sweater trimmed in blue. The dancers had ample room to go around me and the Christmas Tree. They danced magnificently again, such talent they had! It was such a pleasure performing with them! I could not believe the applause that was given afterward. There was a lot of applause so far. I was not sure how the audience would respond to me but they liked the performance that I gave them. I knew the dancers were great I just did not know what I had sounded like.


Then the curtain closed and I was hurried again to back stage. I could not sit in the audience as it was too hard to get me back up for a curtain call. I did however used the rest room, and then proceed to get back into backstage. I really enjoyed the rest of the show there were twelve numbers in all. There was an audience participation for the song “Here Comes Santa Claus”. Santa Claus showed up then and passed out candy canes to the audience then it was intermission.


Intermission took up a total of twenty minutes. Six more numbers were danced too making a total of twelve numbers as in the “Twelve Days of Christmas” one of the featured songs of the second half of the holiday recital. The last number was “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”, as some of the dancers were dancing to the “Twelve Days of Christmas” everyone started lining up for a curtain call. We all proceeded to sing “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.


The owner’s name was announced and she was applauded, and given a bouquet of roses. Her helpers received the same they were mothers to some of the dancers. When my name was announced I was shocked of the applause. I had also received a bouquet of roses. It took a while for the applause to cease for me. I was asked to sing an encore. I asked if one of the CD’s that contained the melody had “O Holy Night”, two of the CDs did. I had asked for audience participation mostly all complied. The higher ranges give me some trouble so that made the higher ranges that I sang less noticeable.

Final closing of the curtain for the night, I was feeling elated, exasperated and happy. I knew the audience would be happy with the dancers, but the recognition I received at sixty-three and crippled I did not expect. This feeling that was brought about by a dancing school owner and instructor. I will forever be grateful.


Happy Holidays to All




Charlotte J. Corrao

12/08/2021









December 09, 2021 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gary Crawford
22:21 Dec 17, 2021

Your writing style is rather choppy and there were a few misspells, but the story itself is a satisfying holiday experience. Have another set of eyes read your stories. A little polishing never hurts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlotte Corrao
01:34 Dec 09, 2021

This is in honor of my favorite owner/instructor of a Dancing School, Miss Faberge of Faberge Follies. I did not perform in a Holiday recital but I have in other shows. She is the best and very caring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.