My Ray of Sunshine

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

4 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

My Ray of Sunshine

“This sunset is beautiful.” 

“Not as beautiful as you” he replied back with a smile. She giggled and playfully shoved him. 

“That was so lame” she replied, though in truth she had found it very sweet. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink, so she turned from him to hide her slight embarrassment. 

“After a five years, you’d think you would be use to me” he chuckled, wrapping his arm around her and kissing the top of her head. She closed her eyes when his lips touched the top of her head so gently. 

The trees swayed slightly from the light breeze that fell on them. The sky was red, the perfect picturesque sunset was before them. From the top of the hill, it was the perfect place to see. It was the perfect place for him to ask the ultimate question. 

When she took her head off his shoulder, he took it as an opportunity to stand up, and take a moment to relax. She was going to say yes; there wasn’t much doubt to that. But while there wasn’t much doubt there was still some, and it terrified him. 

“Where are you going?” She asked him curiously, getting up from the thick blanket they had placed on the ground. She brushed her pants off and approached him, slightly worried something was wrong. 

“I’m not going anywhere, just wanted to stretch my legs” he answered, turning back to face her. The way the sun was shining and the way the wind caused her hair to blow gently only made her more beautiful to him; if that was even possible. 

“You know, we have been together for five years now” she pointed out what he had mentioned earlier. When he looked lost, she continued. “I know when something is up with you. So, what’s wrong?” She inquired, not moving from her spot. 

This is it, he thought to himself; now or never. 

“I.. I mean, you..” he stumbled on his words before sighing. “This is not at all how I pictured this” he muttered to himself, just low enough for her not to hear. 

“I what?” She questioned, growing anxious. 

“Oh, wow! Look at that!” He pointed to something random in the distance. 

“What!?” She asked, turning around to look at whatever it was he was pointing to. She looked at the sunset once more, but saw nothing else. “I swear, sometimes I-“ she stopped mid sentence when she saw that he was down on one knee. 

“Amelia,” he began, clearing his throat. “It’s been.. an incredible five years. We’ve accomplished so much together. I had this big speech planned, but in the end all I want to say is this:” he stopped for a moment, trying to gauge a reaction from his girlfriend. 

Amelia was frozen into place. To say she was surprised would be an understatement. They had discussed marriage in the past of course, but nothing as of recently. 

“I love you. You’re my forever person-“ he cut himself off. “My five-ever person” 

“Because forever isn’t long enough” she whispered, and he nodded, smiling. 

“Yeah, it’s not long enough. I don’t want to spend a minute on this earth without you. So, Amelia Maria Gomez, will you marry me?” He asked, his voice shaky. 

She had tears that threatened to come out, and her hand over her mouth as she nodded. Of course, she’d marry him! 

“Is that a yes?” Mitchell asked, and Amelia nodded her head more vigorously this time. 

“It’s an absolute yes” Amelia smiled, as Mitchell let out a sigh of relief. He got up from his knee and immediately slid the ring onto her finger. She held it up in the sunlight, admiring it for a moment before turning to her now fiancée. “It’s perfect” she whispered, before pulling him closer to her. 

“I love you, Amelia” Mitchell spoke softly, as they both turned back to admire the sunset. This view, and this moment, would be something neither of them would ever forget. 

They both sat on the blanket once more, sitting in a comfortable silence, simply listening to the quiet sounds of nature, admiring the beautiful scenery that lay in front of them. The sun was almost set, and the cool air started to circulate around them. 

“I think it might be time to go” Mitchell laughed, when Amelia took the blanket all for herself and wrapped herself up in it. “You look a little cold” he chuckled. 

“What, me? Cold? Never” she grinned, keeping the blanket around her. Mitchell chuckled before taking her hand and leading her back to their car. 

“Can we stop at the liquor store on the way home?” Amelia asked, once they were both in and buckled. “We need some wine. To celebrate” she beamed, holding up and wriggling her ring finger. He chuckled, nodding. 

“Of course, this calls for celebration.” He was all smiles. Though he was fairly certain she was going to say yes, the nerves were there, but we’re finally beginning to subside. 

“I can’t wait to tell my parents” she giggled, the urge to call them right then and there growing larger by the minute. “They’ll be so excited” 

“Well, your dad already knows” Mitchell told her, stopping at a red light. “I asked him for his blessing” he clarified when she looked confused. She scrunched up her nose before laughing. 

“You’re so old school, you know that?” She asked, and Mitchell simply shrugged, the light turning green. He put his foot on the gas to go forward, but was met with the instant impact of another car. 

“Mitch!” Amelia yelled, but there was nothing he could do to avoid the car. It came barrelling through at top speed, and made no effort to stop. The car hit them on the drivers side door, spinning around before coming to a halt. 

“Mitch?” Amelia asked, her voice shaking. She was fortunately unharmed, but very much shaken up. She got out of the car, and was met with a scene she was sure would be imprinted in her brain forever. 

The car door was dented in, there was no way she would be able to get it open. Mitchell was laying with his head on the headrest, eyes closed, forehead bloodied. 

“Please, say something” she urged him, pulling out her phone to cal 911. There was nobody around but the two of them; the driver of the other car had fled the scene, running away unharmed. 

She could hear sirens in the distance; they were thankfully close. She took her hand and grabbed his, careful not to move him too much. 

“Mitch, please..” she begged, tears streaming down her face. He opened his eyes, and could faintly make out the face of his fiancée. 

“Amelia” he spoke hoarsely; he could feel the life drain from him; it was indescribable. It was in that moment he realized he was going to die. “I love you, don’t forget that” he spoke softly, but Amelia wouldn’t accept it. 

“Don’t talk like that. They’re almost here” she pleaded with him, but there was no use. 

“The sun set…” he trailed off, faintly being able to see it despite his vision slowly fading. 

“It’s beautiful” Amelia whispered, not taking her eyes off him. It did not matter though, with one last breath Mitchell spoke the last words he ever would. 

“But not as beautiful as you.” 

June 22, 2021 15:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

James Pendleton
09:09 Jul 03, 2021

It was a beautifully written description of a summer day and well fleshed out characters complete with little “inside” comments that made the relationship more realistic. I really wasn’t expecting the twist! Well done!

Reply

Anna Kerr
11:23 Jul 03, 2021

Thanks so much for reading and for the kind words!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
22:06 Jun 22, 2021

I seriously loved reading this story, great descriptions and detail! 😊

Reply

Anna Kerr
15:38 Jun 23, 2021

Thank you so much!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.