0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

he shattered her as if she were a vase of porcelain that had been jarred from a countertop.


i was there.


he left her in this void of an empty black hole just as these astrologers describe — endless, hollow, and lonesome.


i saw it all.


she dwelled in the aroma of tears smothered in nostalgia as she could still capture his haunting scent on her pillow.


i comforted her.


she eventually drifted apart from the agony, becoming a tumbleweed in the breeze of life, cantering and strolling to and fro.


i was glad.


she found a new blossom and began to flourish with a firmness that could rival the sinless brother Job.


i felt serenity at last.


but she couldn't help screaming in pure torment with her phone in hand, announcing that the arms of phantoms had theft the life of her past beloved.


no, go back.


she couldn't breathe, she couldn't speak, she couldn't see — believe this suddenness.


please, just —


she knew and i knew that her body, perhaps, had forgotten him, however, her heart certainly never did.


i wish —


it's unfortunate, isn't it? the fact that no matter how many times she was emotionally dismantled by his scorching words as she staggered after him that life-changing day — “i never loved you, i never did” — she couldn't become the dandelion in the wind, those fleecy white petals letting go of his haunting image.


love is patient, love is kind, but love can also destroy the presence of your mind.


—you could see me.

February 09, 2020 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.