12 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

I walk up the center aisle and kneel in front of her.

“Where I come from,” I pause thinking about every memory, every tear, every ounce of pain. I hold so much hurt, too many regrets and so much resentment. I can’t say that though. I’m taking too long to continue.

“Where I come from,” Think of something, anything.

“Where I come from, the one who helped get me through my first soccer game,” Good. Safe. Keep going.

“The one who kissed my boo-boo after falling from the monkey bars.” I can’t keep this going.

“The one who made me feel safe.” I can’t do this.

“While these things may be true, it’s the untold truths, the untold pain that holds a resounding place in my heart and mind.” I can’t help the truths that come pouring out of me. I know this is the most inappropriate time, but I can’t stop.

“It’s the screaming because her morphine has run out. It’s the never-ending phone calls that I’ve made. The same line of 911 what’s your emergency? The endless cycle of not knowing how to get to school in the morning. Feeling like a burden because nothing you do feels like it’s seen or noticed except the small daily mistakes that prove your nothing but imperfect.” Why am I doing this.

I freeze as the memories play through my head.

I remember I’m walking through the front door after my first day of middle school. I had started at a brand new school with not knowing anyone, and was so excited because for once I felt like I could make it in school without being miserable, and judged constantly.

That is, until I open the door and am reminded of why it is that I’m different. I’m reminded of the thing that separates me from the others. Why I couldn’t fit in or make friends anywhere else.

I open the door to the normal scene. Arm dangling, lips stained blue, passed out on the couch. Bags scattered everywhere without a single clue as to what occupies the space within them. It’s best left unknown quite frankly.

I hear someone clear their throat.

“It’s not hatred I hold in my heart.” I don’t think it is.

I remember the fear every morning waking up not knowing what kind of day it would be. Will she be awake? Will I be able to talk to her without an argument? I don’t try to argue, but when talking about my struggles in school, or with friends, turns into a conversation about her feeling sorry for herself I can’t continue to sit there and listen to it again and again.

“I think at one point she was beautiful, that life with her in it was beautiful.” Not that I remember a single minute of it.

“She loved her kids and devoted her entire self to giving and loving every ounce of the life that she created. I only fear she gave too much, and that at some point along the way there was nothing left to give.”

I can vividly see her blank stare in my mind. The one she always held when there was so little left of her that day she could hardly muster to stay awake for a few minutes.

“For years, I blamed myself. Thought maybe I was part of the reason she cracked. Maybe I added too much pressure in her life. Maybe if I wasn’t there, things would be different. Things would be better. She would be better.”

I hear the muffled cries from my little brother as we rush him from the hospital room that she is having a crazy break down in. It breaks my heart. She will not hurt him anymore. The pressure I felt to make sure he knew love, and care. That’s my role. I wrap him in my arms and tell him I will get him something yummy from the vending machine. I was Twelve.

“Why did no one help? Everyone gave up. Everyone forgot and pretended that the issue surrounding my every day life was nothing but a nuisance, like it was just some pesky thing I had to deal with.”

I lost weight. I lost a lot of weight. I didn’t want to eat because it was the one thing in my life that I could control. It made me feel good to know that if I couldn’t control a single other thing in my life at least I could mentally stop myself from indulging in something that everyone else did. It made me feel strong.

“It wasn’t. It was so much more than that. We couldn’t live. We couldn’t create memories together as a big happy family that everyone else I knew was spending time doing. She was destroying all the life in me and draining any strength I had left. It broke me. I had to let go. I stopped talking to her.” Maybe that wasn’t right. Maybe I feel an incredible amount of guilt to this day that I wasted two years she was on this earth ignoring every phone call and excusing myself from every visit.

“Where I come from? I come from a someone who hurt me. I come from someone who made me feel like my existence on this earth was not worthy of love and respect. I come from someone who lost themselves and took down the ones they loved most with them. I come from pain and suffering. I come from a situation where everything felt hopeless and exhausting.”

I can breathe. In this very moment, I can breathe. I’m not lying anymore. I’m not saying the things I should be but it has never felt so good to get something off my chest.

“Where I come from?”…

I look in the casket, as the weight on my shoulders starts to subside and the tears fall from my eyes knowing I was finally able to say the things I never could.

Now, the anger and resentment is just pain. She’s gone. She’ll never blow up my phone with a hundred calls. She’ll never hug me again. She’ll never tell me I’m beautiful. She’ll never console me after a sad ending to a good book. She’ll never meet any of my kids. She won’t be at my wedding.

Is it possible that all the hatred and disgust I held for her, was really just me masking the truth? It was my way to cope with what I knew would eventually come one day sooner, rather than later. To help ease the pain that I knew would subsequentially follow the inevitable ending to this story. My story. Is it possible that I did in fact love her?

“Where I come from? She was beautiful, she was brave, she fought demons that no one else could possibly fathom, she was strong, she was fierce, and she… was my mom.”

All these things, that are swirling around my head playing on repeat as I stare at her. Holding her hand for the very last time. Having this internal monologue of the things I wished I had actually spoken at her funeral. Instead, I squeeze her hand one last time, and without a word make my way back to my seat as the emptiness of my new reality began to set in.

September 22, 2022 13:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

18:20 Sep 29, 2022

Nicely written. I like the turn at the end finding that the character is, in fact, staying silent and we know that even in her last opportunity to confront her mother she continues to keep her struggles internal. I would love some descriptors of the space she is currently in. You did such a nice job of communicating her emotions, I think adding some of this could help create an overall feeling of the moment.

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
18:37 Sep 29, 2022

Thank you for the compliment on portraying the emotions well! I am definitely trying to work on imagery more in my other stories hoping to get better as I go. I sincerely appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keila Aartila
22:05 Sep 28, 2022

Critique Circle, too - I really like this story - I thought you did a great job with the internal dialogue & portraying her conflicted feelings. The imagery could possibly be stronger, but I felt connected to the story, the woman and felt compelled to keep reading. 😀

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
13:12 Sep 29, 2022

Thank you! I find imagery hard to portray with dialogue being the main focal point of a story. I now feel challanged to try and include more in the future! Great feed back :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kit Fremont
21:51 Sep 24, 2022

I love this. Beautifully written... I feel the pain and disappointment and complete sadness and internal struggle.

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
23:38 Sep 24, 2022

Thank you, it was definitely a difficult one to write with such sorrow resonating deep within the character but I really wanted everyone to feel every word.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucas Macdormott
16:07 Sep 24, 2022

This story is beautiful you can really feel the emotions.

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
16:08 Sep 24, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:13 Sep 24, 2022

I loved this story! That, amongst all the negative, in the end, realizing what this all really may have masked. And, in all the day to day struggles we have with family how does one, in all the time spent, all the things they have to see, do, say, put up with, not want to give up and, maybe even give up for awhile? But, that true loves does in fact reside. And, while I never back giving up on any individual as Jeffery Dahlmers parents stood beside him that his mother, once, when he was to die, made a comment to a reporter that finally it wi...

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
12:41 Sep 24, 2022

Thank you! Your comment has brought quite the smile to my face. I can not wait to continue to share more stories in the future!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
10:07 Sep 24, 2022

This was a delightful painful read. Painful because many children grow up this way and it breaks my heart! But also delightful because it was written in a way that made it flow and help me, though I grew up in a different kind of household, relate. All kinds of pain are just that... pain, and that's what makes us human. You depicted that so well. Well done!

Reply

Alyssa Krenzer
10:24 Sep 24, 2022

Thank you! I always try to write in hopes that everyone can in some way relate to my stories. I really appreciate your comment means the world to me to hear I’ve done just that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.