Talking Between Toilet Stalls

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

9 comments

Fiction Funny Drama

“Mommy, I don’t have to go to the bathroom,” Oliver, a rambunctious, four-year-old red-haired boy, said loudly.

“I know Ollie, but I do,” his mom replied patiently as she opened the door to the ladies’ room and pulled Oliver by the arm inside the restroom with her.

“Why do I have to go in here when this is only for girls?” Oliver asked while stomping his feet.

“Because this store doesn’t have a family restroom,” Annie, Ollie’s mom replied.

“Can I take out my truck?” Ollie asked, tugging at her backpack.

“If you can hold it and not put it down on this dirty floor, then yes, fine,” Annie said while sighing.

“Why does it smell in here?” Ollie asked and dropped his truck while taking it from his mom’s backpack.

“We need to sanitize this now,” Annie said and scooped up the yellow truck, reaching for sanitizing wipes.

“Mommy, the smell is awful!” Ollie said and put his hand over his nose.

“Well, sweetie, it’s a bathroom and these are normal smells for a place like this,” Annie tried to explain but began to hold her nose too.

“I thought you said we should flush so we don’t make others blush,” Ollie said in his sing-song manner.

“So true, honey, maybe someone will do us that courtesy,” Annie said without missing a beat.

“Mom, I thought you said, only girls were allowed in here,” Ollie said pointing to a lady coming out of a stall several feet away who was now giving them both a dirty look.

“Don’t mind my son, he is hangry.” Annie said putting her hands on top of Ollie’s shoulders, steering him into an empty stall to the right.

“Mommy, the toilet has stuff in it, can I flush it?” Ollie peered curiously into the commode as Annie shut and locked the door.

“OK, just grab some toilet paper first before touching the handle,” Annie instructed him.

“Look at it whoosh around!” Ollie pointed and then clapped his hands.

“Amazing, I know,” Annie said unzipping her pants. “Now turn around so mommy can pee.”

“Mommy, how did the toilet get its name?” Ollie asked.

“We can look up that information when we get home,” Annie replied while squatting over the toilet.

“I’m hungry, can we stop for ice cream?” Ollie asked his mom.

“Another day, son, I don’t want to ruin our appetites for dinner,” Annie replied.

“Mom, what’s that noise?” Ollie asked just after his mom had finished wiping, dropping her toilet paper and flushing.

“Son, I just flushed,” Annie replied.

“No, I hear something else, like sniffling,” Ollie said.

“Could you pass me some toilet paper since my stall ran out?” a woman’s frail voice said in the stall next door.

“Of course,” Annie replied and began to gather some.

“Are you crying?” innocent Ollie asked.

“Yes, it’s been a tough day,” the woman said after a pause.

“My mom says it’s good to cry and let out your feelings when things don’t go your way,” Ollie said proudly like he remembered a good thing.

“Your mom sounds wise,” the woman said softly.

“Yeah, but she can be mean too like not letting me have ice cream today,” Ollie said matter-of-factly.

“Here is some extra paper,” Annie said and put her hand out slightly under the stall next door.

“You can have my yellow truck since it always cheers me up,” Ollie said and shoved his arm under the stall also to make his offering, dropping it at the stranger’s feet.

“Wow, this day sure is turning around, thank you,” the woman said with kindness in her voice.

“My name is Oliver, but my mom calls me Ollie,” Ollie said proudly.

“I’m Maria,” the woman replied.

“Maria is my favorite human on Sesame Street. Are you her?” Ollie asked.

“No, I’m not that Maria, but she is one of my favorites too, Ollie,” Maria replied.

“Do you need more paper or anything else?” Annie asked Maria.

“No, thank you, I’m good now.” Maria said.

“Were you crying because you ran out of toilet paper?” Ollie asked innocently.

“That was part of the reason,” Maria said reluctantly.

“Why, what else?” Ollie asked curiously.

“Let’s just say, someone was cruel to me and it upset me,” Maria said in a whisper.

“Ollie, I think that’s enough questions for right now, sweetie.” Annie said.

“It’s OK ma’am,” Maria said.

“I once had someone bully me in pre-school. He kept taking my crackers, so I told the teacher.” Ollie said.

“What happened after that?” Maria asked.

“The teacher didn’t give him crackers that day and I got extra,” Ollie said happily.

“Sounds like you did the right thing,” Maria replied with a small chuckle.

“Yeah, I know,” Ollie said.

“Ollie, let’s get ready to wash our hands and head home soon,” Annie said.

“Maria, my mom said it’s good to share your feelings,” Ollie said.

“Thanks Ollie, I think you’re right.” Maria said.

“And tell someone when someone is not treating you nicely,” Ollie added.

“I understand now, thanks. You’re very smart, Ollie,” Maria said.

“That’s what everyone says! My teacher, my mommy and daddy, my grandparents!” Ollie replied.

“Well, you should listen to them,” Maria said laughing.

“We hope your day gets better Maria,” Annie said.

“I think it already has, thank you Ollie’s mom,” Maria said and then flushed.

“That wasn’t 20 seconds Ollie, rub your hands together more,” Annie said to her son a minute later as they were both washing hands at the sink.

“You must be Ollie,” Maria said smiling while stepping up to the sink next to them.

“Are you Maria?” Ollie asked her.

“Yes, that’s me,” Maria said a bit shyly.

“Are you feeling better?” Ollie asked.

“Yes, thanks to you and your mom for being my heroes today,” Maria replied.

“Why do you have that big mark around your eye?” Ollie said noticing her black eye.

“It’s a long story but I’m going tell someone about it right now, someone who can help me, like how your teacher helped you,” Maria explained.

“Wait, I have something…” Annie said while quickly fishing through her purse. She located a card from a small stack that she carries with her.

“My sister is a counselor here if she can help…Or we can give you a lift somewhere…” Annie offered.

“Thank you, I have a car parked outside, but I appreciate it, Ollie’s mom,” Maria said.

“Annie, I’m Annie,” Annie said to Maria while handing her the business card for a local women and children’s abuse shelter.

“I have something for you and Ollie too, that may help,” Maria replied and grabbed a slip of paper from her pocket.

“What’s that?” Ollie said and took the paper from her hand.

“It’s a coupon for a free frozen yogurt, if your mom says it’s OK for you to have,” Annie explained.

“Is it OK, mom?” Ollie pleaded.

“Only if Maria joins us too,” Annie said and smiled at her.

“Maria, thank you for the ice cream, but can I have my yellow truck back?” Ollie asked.

“Of course, I already have one like this at home anyway,” Maria said and winked at Annie.

“Tell us more about you, Maria, if you’re willing,” Annie said softly.

“I would like that,” said Maria with a smile as she followed them into the store and into the direction of a more hopeful day.

“Wait mom!” Ollie said suddenly and stopped in his tracks.

“What is it son?” Annie asked.

“I have to pee now,” Ollie said.

January 09, 2021 17:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Kate Winchester
05:07 Jan 17, 2021

Great job with this prompt. All the characters had their own personalities, and I loved them. You portray the thoughts and actions of a child in a comic and endearing way.

Reply

Mandy Fernandez
14:45 Jan 17, 2021

Thanks Kate for your feedback, I sure appreciate it! I had some of my own kids' inspiration for Ollie, when they were younger...lots of questions and lots of honesty, even in bathrooms! Lol. I appreciate you reading this and taking time to comment. Thank you.

Reply

Kate Winchester
14:57 Jan 17, 2021

You’re welcome. 😊 Lol that’s the best kind of inspiration.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B.T Beauregard
17:11 Jan 17, 2021

Amazing job! You took a very mundane setting and turned it into a beautiful story. All of your characters are unique, and it's always clear to who is talking. That last line was hilarious! Personally, I feel you used too many dialogue tags. You created such beautiful and distinctive characters, so it sometimes felt redundant to add tags. Overall, this is an adorable and inspiring story. Great job! PS: If you get the chance, I would really appreciate it if you checked out my latest story. :)

Reply

Mandy Fernandez
18:30 Jan 17, 2021

Thanks T.c. for your comment. I truly appreciate it. That last line is meant to be funny and accurate of real life! ;-) I have two kids so I've been here, done that. Lol. They have given me some inspiration into composing this story so I think it makes it more real. Those smell comments and asking if someone is a boy/girl in a restroom have indeed happened to me before, years ago. ;-) I will have to check out your story and also take that dialogue tag piece into consideration for the future. I can see how it can slow down the flow of a story...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Addison Smits
18:59 Jan 16, 2021

I really liked how it was put together. The way you could tell what Annie was like just based on how she talked is impressive. The sombreness of it all really pulls at your heartstrings. I also liked the last line of Ollie needing to pee. Fantastic job!

Reply

Mandy Fernandez
23:32 Jan 16, 2021

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you for reading it and commenting. That is helpful. I hoped the story took that heart-string-pull kind of twist to find both Ollie and Annie so endearing. It sounds like I achieved that. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
15:59 Jan 16, 2021

I liked this. It made me smile. Innocent Ollie. Keep writing!

Reply

Mandy Fernandez
23:30 Jan 16, 2021

Thank you so much. Yes, the literal innocence of children like Ollie is what makes this funny, I think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.