0 comments

General


    You are as gorgeous as a rare flower and I, I am as dark as an old haunted house. I never in a million years pictured my story would turn out like this, but you can’t predict the end no matter how hard you try, and trust me I tried. 

    It was a Monday morning in the month of April. You were out in a field taking pictures of the flora and fauna around you. I was watching the clouds pass by and trying to make them into shapes. You will never know how I felt when I first laid my eyes on you. Your long honey hair passed way past your shoulders and went with the wind. Your long slightly pale legs make walking look graceful. Your beautiful bright blue eyes brought out by the pastel blue shirt you were wearing. Every movement you did was with amazing grace. You were so very graceful Grace. 

After awhile you noticed me staring at you, you blushed and turned away; in that moment I knew you were the one. After some time you said something to your friend then walked my way.  

“Come on Charming I’m not going to wait forever.” Grace said with a smiling face. I just got up and followed. She led me to a loosely wooded area with a rickety old bench. 

Grace sat there examining my face. She looks at my dark brown eyes and my chapped lips. My oddly shaped nose and the freckles that stretched along my cheek bones. She took my left hand and picked it up, she glanced at my chipping black nail polish. 

“You really should do your nails more often Charming, their chipping.”

“My name isn’t Charming.” I say stating the obvious. 

“Why not?”

“Not what my parents decided to call me.”

“Well, Charming fits you well.”

“Well I need a name to call you.”

“Grace.”

“Grace.” I repeated. Grace flows like sweet tea on a hot summer day. Grace.

Grace never let go of my hand, she interlocked our fingers then released a deep breath.  She looked over me once more and said, “Why were you looking at me?”

“How could I not look at a pretty girl like you?” I asked.

“Charming please, there’s nothing pretty about me.”

“Really?” I smiled, “nothing at all?”

“Nope, not at all.”

“Well then I will just have to make a list. Your long flowy honey hair, your perfect ocean blue eyes, when you listen you bite your lip, and a shirt that fits your body just right.”

“Charming…” A blush color illuminated on her pale freckled cheeks. “You’re so sweet.”

“Well, I can be when I want to be.”

Everyday Grace and I hung out in the same spot. Now this day was special, this was our real first kiss. The sun was hitting her cheek bones just right on this May day and we both just couldn’t resist anymore. She wiped the hair from my face and gently put her lips to mine. She tasted like strawberries. The glitter filled lip gloss transferred from her lips to mine.

“You know Charming you’re good at that.” She smiled.

“Well Grace so are you.” I blushed.

That one day always replays in my mind. Things could have been easy, but we decided to make them hard; why do I always do that to myself? In my defense, her presence is intoxicating. How could I not follow her? How could I not let her change everything? 

It was an autumn day and I knew all I needed was Grace. This one day she showed up with a busted lip and a black eye. She walked slowly like she was in pain. 

“Grace are you okay?” I asked. 

“Pack your bags Charming, we’re finally leaving.” We had talked about leaving before, but we never actually did it.

“Grace are you sure?”

“100 percent, ready to live Charming?”

“Yes Grace, I’m so ready to live.”

I never knew those few words would change the whole course of my life. Once we hit the road I watched the only town I ever knew getting smaller and smaller.  

Grace grabbed my hand as we entered a store. I have only ever touched her in those woods, everything is so new. She tells me to grab a cart and get inside, so I do. I climbed inside of the somewhat small cart. Grace came around and began to push.

“What are we doing Grace?” I asked as we entered the store.

“We are living. I bet you have never been inside a cart as your girlfriend has pushed you.”

I laughed, “of course not. I have never had one.”

“What's your favorite kind of cereal?”

“I’ve only ever hand cornflakes.”

“Well I guess we'll just have to try it all.” She smiled. At that point I knew she was a keeper.

We arrived at a small motel that smelled like cigarette smoke and sweat, but we didn’t care because we were in love. That night we kissed in a whole new place, a place away from our families, our ‘friends’, and our classmates. We were away from anyone who could hurt us for who we are.

When I made this whim of a decision I never thought she would want more than just kisses. I didn’t know if I was ready for more, but she showed me I was ready. 

It took us years to settle down in a real apartment. Both of our lives consisted of huge changes, nothing felt real anymore; all I knew was Grace is my north star and she will guide me on my way. 

My life turned out amazing. I work in a small flower shop in a tiny town. Grace works as a preschool teacher. We have french bulldog named Cindy. Everytime I think back to the rickety old bench I think of when my life really began. Our love began with sweet hidden kisses and hundreds of different cereals. Our love is motel rooms and first times. Our love is tiny towns and french bulldogs. My life began once we ran away

March 15, 2020 03:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.