Growing up is the toughest thing to do

Written in response to: Start your story with the words: “Grow up.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

"Grow up," my father said to me.

He was tired of me staying home and not doing anything with my life.

"Grow the fuck up, how much longer do you think we can support you."

It was getting on my nerves. Every day, get a job, get a job.

I ignored him and went back to my video games. Playing with my friends all over the world. NBA live, madden football these are the games I play. Why would anyone trade this life? Get a job and have bills to pay. I prefer this life.

I understood, parents want what is best for you. So he thought by yelling and screaming at me it would motivate me to do something. I didn't want to go out there and do something I wanted to stay in bed and do nothing. What is wrong with nothing, doing it. Do we need to be so productive is there a prize for it. Tell me I would like to know. My father worked 20 years and was laid by the factory he was employed at. So what did those 20 years get you beside a bad back, bills, credit cards and mortgage. And you want to tell me I should hold you as some sort of example. I am not.

Usually he stays hot and bothered for a few days but then he cools back down.

I have to be cautious during this time cause anything would set him off. So I don't stay in the same places he is in. If he is eating I am in my room and I only come out when he goes to work.

Mom, doesn't say much she stays out of the way but she doesn't stick up for me either.

I heard the car outside so I take a peak out the window he is going to work. I venture out of my room to get some snacks me and my best buddies are doing a video game marathon tonight. I need my essentials like chips, soda, and little Debbie's.

Mom is there crying so I ask what is wrong?

She tells me "he told me to tell you you have a week left if you don't find a job you are out."

I was surprised is never come to this before. A job, what would I do with that. I don't want to work but I guess I am all out of options.

Going back to my room I let my buddies know what is going on. I have great friends they offer to let me stay in their place. Appreciative of the offer I mull it over. Tough. I want to play video games all night long. Working is not part of my plan.

When my dad comes home from work he asks me if I know my ultimatum.

"Yes" I say.

You see this has happened before so I don't stress it. I go back to my video games and pay it no mind.

Will he or won't he? What will this man decide.

I play video games all week and when the week passes my father asked how many interviews I have been on?

"None", I answered.

A slight chortle, and he asks me "if he thinks this is a game".

I respond, "no".

"You don't want to take me seriously so I have no choice, after today you will no longer be welcomed here".

I keep quiet. Anything might anger him. I mean anything.

"Dad, I filled out two job application today".

"Okay, now we are getting somewhere, where?"

"Hum,hum,hum". I am drawing a blank how could this go so badly. "Hum,hum,hum". Say something, anything.

"Mcburger king". Huh.

Could I have given it more away.

"This is yourast day" .

He walks out and shuts the door.

What was I thinking, I couldn't come up with a decent lie. A decent one. Starbucks, Amazon, Duane Reade, Barnes and noble, chase, bank of America. All the companies seem to roll off me now.

Will he or won't he? That is the million dollar question.

I wrap up my Playstation, and a few clothes. All I need are my video games. He walks in and starts packing up my bags.

"What are you doing".

"You are not welcomed here anymore. You have to leave".

Wow. I guess he means it this time. I am resigned to the fact so I pick up my games and head out. Not looking back, looking forward I don't even acknowledge my family. On my own now like I wanted it to be. I call up my buddies and explain my situation a few of them offer me a place to stay but now that I needed them they bailed on me. Excuses, "I can't right now.", "Not the right time."

Do I bring up their past words, no I move on through my rolodex looking for a true friend.

They all turned me down. All of them, when I needed them I couldn't count on them. All I needed was a day or two of help, until I can go out there and and on my own feet.

After I made all my calls I took my stuff and hung around the bus stop. Looking for a ride or a hobo.

I slept there my first day with nothing, no one stopped for me. No one even acknowledged me.

I couldn't go back home it was too rough the way they ended things. If I came back without a job they wouldn't let me in. I would have to go through all the bullshit I went through before even worst now.

I couldn't do what my parents wanted me to do because they told me to. Where they right? Who knows and who cares. I can't come groveling back.

I stayed a week on that bus stop when finally someone took pity on me.

"Hey young man how is it going?"

I don't trust strangers he could be a perverted creep. I ignore him but he is persistent.

"Hey there, you need something to eat a place to stay".

I want to be quiet but I am so hungry so I say,"yes, I am hungry."

"Alright get in my car and we will get something to eat".

When you are hungry you don't have much choice. If I die and get eaten up oh well. I had a good life. We are driving and I see a McDonald's

"Hey, mister let's stop at that mc'burger king".

"What".

I cry and laugh at the inside joke not having the stomach to explain it to him.

We stop at McDonald's and he ask me what I want.

I tell him a big Mac, fries and a large Pepsi.

We sit down to eat and ask me my story. I leave out the fight and everything " telling him I I a young man looking for a change."

He understood when I was young he tells me I ran away from home. I went out, and made something out of myself, became a big time writer. Publishing my third novel this month.

I'm not much of a reader but to engage him I asked him his name he said George Mctool.

I pretended like I knew who he was though I had no clue. We talk and got to know each other he tells me where I want to go.

I say back home

. I grew up like my father wanted me to. I understand now why he wanted me to do what I did. It makes sense.

April 01, 2022 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.