Birthday at a coffee shop

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Start or end your story with two characters sitting down for a meal.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction


Two people sat at a table in a coffee shop. It was Rhonda's birthday. Fred knew Rhonda hated loud showy places. This place seemed good; he hoped she liked it. He had to be discreet. Fred and Rhonda were both single and he and she had no involvement, other then a shared love of indoor plants and the same work colleagues. Those work colleagues were - you know - good communicators!

Fred was driving so he intentionally asked, "Ro", that's what he called her, "Do you want a bottle of wine?" Rhonda took a deep breath in, as she thought about the pros and cons of working the next day with a hangover, as if it were a good wine she would probably polish the bottle off! Fred asserting and interrupting her thoughts, "It's a nice Shiraz I'm told?" She wiggled her nose which went in the opposite direction to her lips; one of those quizzed faces which says you're convincing me and well- Yes"


Fred looked up at the waitress, "Yes we'll have a bottle! Plus the nachos special for both of us too. He handed back the menu and the waitress smiled at Rhonda looking directly at the menu secured to the table under her elbow. She blurted out a sort of embarassed laugh, as she looked looked at the foci point, returning the item with a mumble of sorry and then putting her handbag on her lap to form a barrier for securities and dignities sake.


Rhonda now in forced formal mode, for a split second looked at her work pal and thought "I wonder if Fred likes me, I mean really likes me?" There Fred was with black rimmed glasses, hair straight with the slight oilyness making the ends stick out in a bunchy geek style of innocence. Her mind.corrected her coyly answering her own question. No! Indoor plants was his agenda silly!


Fred picking up strange vibes decided to cut the ice wall. So you're a Libra, he said wryly, balancing the scales and always having a packed travel bag ready to go anywhere anytime! Rhonda knew it was true, she lived to travel and had unresolved relationship bust ups from that! Somehow she felt he was rubbing salt into her wounds for staring at some grey sideburns, perhaps he was really a narcissist. She had even gone on a tv games show and won enough money to travel, yes, travel to Spain then France to see mostly old churches and wild flowers. 


Stung she replied, trust that old Scorpio in you Fred! Fred was still a young man in his own eyes and now for crossing that respectful line, she would be judge and executor birthday girl! Hmmmm, not many of their work colleagues liked him and he needed to remember her kindness of linking to him and giving up some popularity because of Her charity!


The nachos presentation strategically moved forward and stopped the squabbling sibling mentality or show of mild superiority with the bang of each thick, heated white plates. Piled with microwave reheated mushy chilli beans, mushy tomatoes, capsicum. The heavily spiced aroma rose in a wet hot blob penetrating their nostrils, as landslide of taco chips, melted cheese, guacamole and sour cream flooded to the edge of Rhonda's plate spilling on her serviette. I'll get another one the waitress said without apologising!


Fred saw the meal and wondered if Rhonda appreciated his effort! He had a surprise birthday cake hidden in the coffee shops fridge too! He did like her, well he liked her when she spoke of plants!


Rhonda was 29 years today. She seemed at times superficial to him but he saw other parts of her too! She was a talented amateur photographer. He liked the church pictures she posted on Instagram sometime ago, probably almost two years ago now. He took time to comment on several churches in her Spain encounter and read her very long historical and ethnological comments on many of their Islamic influences. The rest of the office colleagues, or the younger term, "Team" were a scattered bunch, fiddled around leaving smiley Emojis etc... there. Really no substance! But there her first felt Rhonda had a deeper and old fashioned part, like the girl next door feel, or maybe was kidding himself.


Rhonda was hungry, she ate quickly and gulping a few mouthfuls of wine to overpower the hot spices. The room was growing louder around the two, she felt edgy. The sound of chairs being dragged and tables placed around them broke the hypnotic trance between Rhonda and Fred. Their heads turned to see a group of ten older ladies all sitting at the combined small tables; all wearing purple hats and formal clothing. The most popular hat was given the vegetable drainer award and presented to Bethany of the shiny satin tilted skull cap with what looked like a dyed chock feather glued on it! Bottle and bottled were transported there and flowed with loud crowing as they all won big at the races. It could be assumed from the repetative name "Portly Tom" was the winning horse. They were toasting to Tom, then Thomas, then Sir Portus Deligenti of the country origin Thomas with loud bursts of laughter, cackles and sometimes a snort bringing more laughter and throwing of napkins everywhere. Being tolerated because of their age and they were quite entertaining, generous to patreon and jovial.


The happy noise brought more passerby attention. The place was soon filled to full capacity. Plates were going in the dishwasher and out of the dishwasher!

This was not what Fred intended! Rhonda liked quiet but she seemed to have a little glow on her; perhaps it was the wine. He leaned towards her and for the first time he was penetrating her personal space; he felt a little electricity. Never before had he felt that with Ro! He spoke into her ear getting distracted by her perfume, nice and umm sexy, what was he thinking? Did she see his thoughts again? He thought "Cool it Fred, it's the wine lowering his filters that's all!" Again He tried leaning over with his old Self, "Ro, I can pay the bill, order another bottle of wine and we can maybe go back to mine or your place. Rhonda realising Fred's anxiety about her comfort and feeling remorseful for not recognising his sensitivity and care tried to soften the problem - , No it's good! It's alright. I'm enjoying the atmosphere. The wine is good eh..., as she tipped her glass for a refill.

You know I like your place, we can go back there watch some Netflix or something. She decided be expose herself a little, to compensate Fred's feelings. I like the clean smell of your place, I think the humidity of your plants... She put her defences up a little to let him know not too deep ... your little frog ceramics everywhere.even the toilet.a little bit of a weird. They both laughed and hooked a different connection. The wine got her filters too.... Yer, yer remember that long nite of completing an that account. I crashed in your daughter's bedroom woke up in Mickey mouse sheets. And you cooked eggs and muffins for breakfast! That day reminded me of the girl I left behind in Tamworth! Fred melted, she had noticed! You know Fred you're a nice man.... a goodman. Fred went back to eating his meal. Looking down said Thanks.


Suddenly a Television over the far side of the coffee shop started to hog everyone's attention. A small circle of single chair stiff backed lounges sat underneath it, sort of reminded Rhonda of a doctor's waiting room. The waitress was turning up the sound. The News trumpet music theme sounded slowing the conversation to nothing with people turning their heads reading the screen headers.

Corona Virus update...in Red Bold Letters! A voice announcing, we're going live to the Premier Art Blake's office now...

Blake eyes were wide while the rest of his face muscles sagged from economic stress.

... Good morning we've had another 16 cases of the Delta strain virus present itself from the Ailsa Sales restaurant. From 6pm tonite we will lockdown till Friday midnight. I'll leave the explanation for our Chief Health officer, Wendy Amira...

These few cues were enough for people to start their own personal rigors to prepare for the inevitable. People strained to listen, some shushing the loud talkers, others standing up finding their credit cards, calling on phone's texting, leaving half eaten meals, scrolling, putting listening devices in their ears, scurrying to the toilet.


Fred looked at Rhonda with a raised right eyebrow, "We'll wait till the crowd goes down?" The purple hats, next to them, drooped! Good old Port Tomly, or whatever his name halted to talk of Astrazeneca and Pfizer jabs then elbow taps and goodbyes.


A second bottle of wine in a pre-empted paper bag by the now hassled business owner was placed on Fred and Rhonda's table. "Fred, I thought you might like it take away, we've still got the birthday cake too" Rhonda felt electricity, Fred had taken her to his secret coffee haunt! "Looks like another bout of job keeper Love?" Fred open the paper bag "Yeah... Bad news" Fred motioned with the wine bottle, "Rhonda - another?" She snuffed passing her glass.


Behind them a rumbling clutter of feet around the doorway jokes of toilet paper shortages, line ups at the hand sanitising station, just in case, lasting around ten-to-fifteen minutes.


Then room became eerily quiet. Two people still in a coffee shop having wine and birthday cake.





June 29, 2021 05:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.