2 comments

Drama Fiction Friendship

It was a long time coming, but George decided it was finally time to leave his job at Linking Manufacturing and move onto something new. After 31 years of service, George realized he had done all the good he could at Linking. Now it was time to get the process going.

           George went into work on Monday morning determined to start the conversation with Paul, his supervisor. “Good morning, Paul. Can we schedule some time for a meeting later today?”

           Paul quickly responded, “Absolutely. There’s something I wanted to talk to you about, anyway.”

           Monday midmorning, George hesitantly walked into Paul’s office as he knocked and said, “Hey, Paul. Thanks for meeting with me today.”

           “George, I’m glad you scheduled this. Have a seat,” Paul replied.

           “Thanks. Well, Paul, I’ve been thinking…you know I’ve been working in the Finance Department here at Linking Manufacturing for 31 years,” George started.

           Paul interrupted, “I know that’s what I wanted to talk to YOU about. You have been doing such a great job. We would like to get you started with the plans for the new Iowa start-up we’re doing. You can work from Eurekalot, but we would like you to do all the forecasting and budgeting, plus get the small Finance group started in Iowa. You have so much experience, we really need your expertise.”

           George did not really know how to respond. This was an incredible opportunity. Doing start-ups was his specialty, and the Iowa start-up was bigger than any one George had worked on so far. He finally replied, “Wow! That is a great opportunity. Thank you for thinking of me.”

           George left Paul’s office confused. He had not committed to doing to start-up. He still wondered if it was time to try something different. He was deep in thought when he literally ran into his buddy Joe. Joe laughed, “George, Ol’ Man, what world were you in when you were walking down the hall?”

           George laughed, too, and wondered if he could confide in Joe. “I was just thinking about my 31 years of work here at Linking. I was thinking about what the future holds for me.”

           Joe beamed when he replied, “Well, the future looks bright with great possibilities. You are the MAN! I have heard whispers about you and the new Iowa start-up. There is not a better guy for the job. What is there to think about?”

           George thought for a moment and mumbled, “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

           Joe replied, “Of course I am. You are the key to success here at Linking!”

           “Thanks, Buddy. Talk to you later,” answered George.

           George returned to his office. His assistant Jeremy slid into the room. “I’ve heard the rumor about the Iowa start-up. Congrats, Boss. That’s so cool!”

           George wondered if Jeremy would keep his secret to himself. Could he confide in him? “Well, nothing is definite. I really need to think about what path I want my career to take. I’ve been here at Linking for 31 years.”

           “What is there to think about?” Jeremy blurted out. “After 31 years they’ve finally given you the project you deserve. You have earned this deal, and there is not anyone better for the job than you. Why would you even give it a second thought?”

           “Yeah, it is a great opportunity,” George answered.

           Jeremy left the room, and George continued to think about the future. He really is ready for a change. His whole career has been at Linking. Maybe it was time to branch out continued to be his thoughts. He gave his current project a little attention before he left to have lunch with his sister, Grace.

           After he hugged Grace, they sat down at the table to look at the menu. Grace asked, “How was your morning?”

           George thoughtfully replied, “It was okay. Linking is a busy place. I’m just wondering if it’s the place for me.”

           Grace immediately chimed in, “What do you mean? Linking Manufacturing has been so good to you over the years. You make great money. And remember how great they were when you had to take extra time off when Mom was in the hospital? You love your job there and are doing so well. Not everyone gets to sit in that corner office and have an assistant. What is there to wonder about?”

           George sunk further in his chair and said, “I suppose you are right.” He thought about what Grace said and finally piped in, “What looks good for lunch today?”

           George returned to work and just got busy with his latest project, not thinking too much about the Iowa start-up and his thoughts of leaving Linking Manufacturing. The afternoon passed quickly.

           George decided to talk about his idea with his wife, Elle. “Hey, Babe. Do you have time to chat for a few minutes?”

           “Sure, Honey. Let me just finish folding this last brochure. I’m working on a project with some of the other Linking wives to help the homeless in our community. They are such a nice group of ladies, and I am so glad I have them for friends. It really is so sad and surprising that there are so many homeless people in Eurekalot. It is such an awesome community, and I love living here!”

           George was surprised with Elle’s comments. “Do you really like living in Eurekalot? Don’t you ever dream of bigger and better places?” he asked.

           “What? I cannot believe you are even asking that question. We have such a great life here in Eurekalot! You have that fabulous job at Liking. We have such great friends. This is where our kids were born and grew up. What is making you question our life here?” Elle responded with disgust.

           George hesitated before answering, “I just wondered if it was time to look for a new opportunity and try something different in a new location.”

           “Are you bored with your job?” Elle asked puzzled. “Could you ask Paul for a different assignment?”

           “Well, he already talked to me about working the new start-up in Iowa,” George confessed.

           “Wow! That’s huge, Honey. Didn’t you tell me about what an exciting endeavor Liking is starting there? Oh, no! Would we have to move to Iowa for that opportunity?” Elle asked with worry in her voice.

           “No,” George answered, “Paul said I could do the work from Eurekalot.”

           “Honey, that’s perfect! It is a great opportunity for your career. It will be something new and exciting. We wouldn’t have to move. You will really be making a difference for the company with a great contribution. It’s the chance you’ve been waiting for,” Elle revealed enthusiastically.

           George put his hands in his head and thought hard. The Iowa start-up would be something different from what he is currently doing. He would not have to physically move. He would be advancing up the company ladder. This could be the answer he was looking for.

           “You are right, Babe. I guess there was a reason every time I tried to talk to people about the possibility of leaving Linking Manufacturing today, I was interrupted,” George revealed.

           It wasn’t time to leave Linking Manufacturing. It was time to say “Hello” to new opportunities at Linking without interruption.

April 12, 2021 17:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alayna Snedden
14:04 Apr 18, 2021

Great story! I was surprised when George decided to stay with the company. As indecisive as he seemed, I was sure he was going to leave. The writing was smooth and organized well, I can’t wait to read more!

Reply

Kay DiVerde
19:21 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you for your kind words. I suppose we've all been in similar situations when we have to make that type of decision. The ending wasn't what I originally planned, but it seemed to fit by the time I reached the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.