3 comments

Creative Nonfiction

I grew up in a fairly small town, in which almost everyone was Catholic or Christian- including myself. In fact, the only things I really remember from my childhood is the scent of incense and some random fragments of sermons from various masses. 

I lived with my religious grandparents and believed anything they told me about the Bible, including their own personal intolerances. When I was seven, they sat me down and talked to me about homosexuality. “If you ever find yourself feeling that way towards a woman”, they warned me, “tell us, so that we can get you the help you need.” 

That’s when I learned to compress it; to compress how my heart raced a little when I watched a pretty woman on my favorite Disney show, or how my mind couldn’t help but wander about a certain Target cashier. 

Luckily for me, I also had crushes on guys. I could just brush off my desire for girls as a phase or admiration.

 It wasn’t until fifth grade that I learned about the term bisexuality. That’s when my worst fears were confirmed. Despite being young, I just knew. Ironically enough, if anyone besides a small group of people found this out, I’d probably be crucified. So, I did everything I could to convince people I was someone completely different. 

In sixth grade, I met a girl. She had soulful brown eyes and dark, long hair. We hit it off immediately. We had the same beliefs and values, and every time she spoke I could feel my heart beating. 

We did everything together; we disliked the same people, went to parties and sleepovers together, and were constantly hanging out. I spent the night at her house for a sleepover, and we were the last two people awake. She kissed me on the cheek in a friendly way, and I was rendered speechless. Did she mean it as anything more? She knew I liked girls, and I thought maybe she did, too.

 We never talked about it afterwards, so I assumed it was a friendly kiss. I just couldn’t stop thinking about it, though. I couldn’t rule out the possibility, could I? I didn’t want to put her into an uncomfortable position. Could you imagine? Did I really want to push away the only person who had accepted me? Was I really that much of a screw up?

A few months later, I was having a sleepover with some other friends, as we had drifted a little bit. Then, at two in the morning, I got a call from her. I rushed to the bathroom for some privacy and answered. She said she had liked me, in a more-than-friends way. So, obviously, I told her I felt the same. I heard snickering in the back. She found some crappy excuse to hang up, which was fine, because I was in no mood to stay on the line either. I still to this day don’t know exactly what the snickering was, but I can make a pretty good assumption. 

I had switched schools the next year, and this new school was a little more accepting. I switched over with my best friend since second grade. She was very extroverted, and quickly found a clique. However, I was left to fend for myself, and ended up with a very different friend group. One of the girls was very vocal about her hatred for the LGBT community, and the rest of them agreed with her. That’s when I knew it was not safe to come out, no matter how ready I was.

That first year at my new school was probably the worst one of my life. Little Miss Homophobe talked about it at least once a week, and my self esteem had never been worse. The second I got home from school, I just laid down in my bed and cried. I felt worthless.

Luckily, the next year, I found myself a new friend group. In this new friend group, two of the girls were openly gay and everyone else in the group accepted them. I was doing much better. I came out that same year.

When I came out, my previous friend group tried congratulating me (everyone except Miss Homophobe). There were so many things I wanted to scream at them. “You made me ashamed of who I am.” “Don’t act like you support me now.” “I have never hated myself more than I did last year.” Instead, though, I just gave a small smile and thanked them. 

After I came out, a friend of a friend started messaging me. She had pretty blonde hair and had been openly gay for a while. As it turned out, we had a lot in common. She was really sweet and truly did care for me. She was so pretty, too. I truly did not deserve her. 

Unfortunately, I lost feelings for her. I tried everything I could to feel something for her again, but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to, but I broke up with her. I don’t know why I did it. Maybe I was still subconsciously scared of judgement. Maybe I couldn’t handle a relationship. Maybe it’s not that deep, and I’m over analyzing. All are very possible realities. After we broke up, though, I missed her horribly. I messed up my only healthy relationship.

I don’t know what prompted me to write this. It’s clearly rushed and not well-written, and I am well aware of that. I don’t even know what prompt this falls under. I think I just needed an outlet, and what better outlet than writing? This didn’t turn out how I intended. I intended this to be a love story that I spent multiple days on perfecting it. Instead, it turned into the life story of some emotional, bisexual teenager, as I realized I don’t have a lot of experience with love. Anyway, if you’ve read this far, I must thank you. I don’t understand why you did, but thanks.

February 11, 2020 06:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Tori Routsong
00:27 Feb 20, 2020

I read this far because my story was a lot of the same. My parents were always accepting, but it still took me 19 years to come out to anyone and even longer still to admit it to everyone (how they haven't figured it out is baffling- I'm so aggressively supportive and 1/2 of everything I've ever written is gay). I kept reading because it spoke to me and that's a pretty good trait for a writer/story to have.

Reply

K. M
02:04 Feb 20, 2020

Thank you, and I'm glad someone can relate. People think just because LGBTQ+ have rights now that we don't have any struggles. I'm fifteen and when you go to a Christian school, you can really see how we still need to improve as a society.

Reply

Tori Routsong
15:10 Feb 20, 2020

I'm really glad you could eventually find some accepting and welcoming friends though! That's something that's always really important, finding your people

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.