Magic Book for Harmony

Written in response to: Write about a character who keeps ending up in the same place.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Fantasy Adventure

"Grandma, when you were young, who were you?" Hannah asked.

"Hannah, when I was young, I spent my life helping others and being kind. And that gave me the best satisfactory to see the people in need happy." Grandma smiled under her old face. "You don't need to have everything in the world to be happy. Just doing a small grateful thing for another person sparks joy in both people."

Hannah had kept that in her mind for many years, ever since Grandma died two years ago.

Hannah walked to her Mother, and saw her stirring a spell.

"I'm home!" She said to her Mother. "What's that you're stirring?"

"Just a spell my dear." Mother said. "How was Witch School?"

"hmm, normal." Hannah replied.

Hannah went into her room, then opened her diary.

She found a page in her diary which was clearly not her writing. But it was .. Grandma's?

Dear Hannah,

I'm going to be close to my death soon, so before I leave the world I have something you need to know.

You once asked me that when I was young what did I do? Well, I'll tell you.

When I was young, I was an extraordinary witch. I loved magic and using magic to help others.

But my life changed when I found a book in the walls. If you search at moonlight, you can find a clear path ... to the book in the walls.

It has every answer to every question. Use it wisely.

With Love,

Grandma

Hannah looked at the page, quiet. Grandma wrote this before her death... and Hannah hadn't noticed it until now.

That night, the moon was shining brightly, so Hannah wore her socks and silently went upstairs.

She was scared of the dark - but her curiosity couldn't be helped. Hannah walked and walked around the house. But she couldn't find anything.

Suddenly, the moonlight went right on her, and her shadow was shown . . . along with another person's shadow. It looked like an evil shadow ready to grab her.

Watching in horror, Hannah raced to her bedroom and plopped on the bed, not even bothering to look behind her. Her eyes were focused on her pillow.

That morning, Hannah got up sleepily. She had nightmares of what she saw - but she had to do what Grandma wanted.

"Hannah, you okay?" Her mother asked. "You look sleepy."

"No, I'm just fine," Hannah said, giving her best winning smile. She quickly ate then grabbed her black-and-white cat, Lulu.

"Lulu, time to go to school." She carefully grabbed Lulu and put her on her broom.

Then, Hannah sat on the broom, and then said, "Luzula we go, Tiny Broom!"

And then the broom went off like magic, little pink dust sprinkling off as it went.

When they landed in Luzula Witch School, Hannah and Lulu got off, and the Tiny Broom went carefully parked in the Magic Broomstick Area.

Hannah kept a leash carefully on Lulu, then walked with her. She never liked keeping a leash on Lulu: and neither did Lulu like it. But Hannah was told that she was supposed to, and Hannah liked being the good kid.

She wouldn't always prefer disobeying. When they went to class, Hannah was the first to arrive. No one had come yet.

"Ah, my first student!" Miss Snow said. "No one has arrived yet. It's weird."

Miss Snow stroked her cat, Luna, and her cat purred happily. "Meow!"

Hannah sat at her seat, and Lulu sat on the ground beside Hannah. "Well, since it's taking some little time, I don't think it will be a bad idea to teach you some spells without anyone knowing," Miss Snow winked.

Hannah looked at her, a bit worried. "Will it be difficult spells?" "You're my best student. I'm sure you'll be able to do it." Miss Snow said.

"But it's advanced spells. I don't want to turn into a dragon-worm or anything."

"Don't worry, I'll be helping you." Miss Snow said. "It's a special spell which I made for myself."

Hannah looked at her. Miss Snow looked so convincing - it was hard to say no.

Maybe time passing with spells won't be so bad.

"Alright, let's do it."

Miss Snow smiled. "That's the spirit!"

They added ingredient by ingredient.. the spell turned purple to silver ... fireworks started pouring out of the cauldron ... and then it turned a bright pink color.

"Now you have to do it." Miss Snow smiled.

Hannah looked nervous. "Do what?"

Miss Snow grabbed a small cup and then filled it from the pink spell.

"Okay ... " Hannah grabbed the cup, and then looked inside. It was bubbling like milk boiling. Nervously, Hannah had a sip. It tasted like water and even a little bit like milk.

Hannah quickly drank it.

"How do you feel?" Miss Snow asked.

"I don't know ... I feel the same. Do I have a weird nose or something? Are you sure I'm okay?"

"Of course! The spell will start working in some time."

Just at that moment, all the other children came, and Hannah picked up Lulu and they went back to their seat.

"Today ... there will be a surprise exam!" Miss Snow said.

Just as Miss Snow said it, Hannah remembered not asking what the spell would do.

Hannah grabbed her exam paper and checked the questions. She didn't know any of it.

Q.1 What spell can turn your cat into a dragon-worm?

Hannah looked at the first question, not able to think. But then suddenly, she saw some words glowing under the question.

Q.1 What spell can turn your cat into a dragon-worm?

Be-A-Dragon Cat Leaves.

Be-A-Dragon Cat Leaves? Hannah traced the answer. So that's what Miss Snow did for Hannah.

She helped Hannah ... cheat? It felt weird, knowing a teacher would help you cheat, but Miss Snow was indeed very fond of Hannah.

Q.2 What's the most important ingredient when making it rain chocolate snow?

Chocolate-Patched Buds.

Q.3 How to uncover hidden things in walls in moonlight?

You use a glowing star.

Q.4 Why was yetis hunted in the Winter Wonderland?

Because they're heart could give power.

Like that, Hannah finished the exam paper. When night came, Hannah went on her Tiny Broom with Lulu home.

The moon was a bit dim, but at least it was there. Hannah decided to think of how to get the book.

Then suddenly she remembered what one of the exam questions was written.

How to uncover hidden things in walls in moonlight? You use a ... star potion? star charm? Glow ... star!

Hannah quickly got a glowing star then slowly let go of it. It floated to one of the walls then went right through it.

Then, the wall moved aside, showing a room with a door. Hannah entered the room, and the wall closed behind her.

The glowing star floated to the door ... and then slowly vanished.

Hannah opened the door, and then saw a platform down ... in space.

Hannah jumped down, and she was a bit slower in jumping that usual, so she didn't get hurt.

And then she saw a book. She opened the book.

There was a page written:

Life is too hard when magic is being used to hurt others. Take some cleansing leaves and put it in a cauldron.

Right beside, there was a cauldron, and lots and lots of ingredients. Hannah found some cleansing leaves and put it in the cauldron.

Add some glowing thread made by the unicorns.

In a special box, there was hoops of glowing thread. Hannah cut a small piece then carefully put it in the cauldron.

The color turned into golden glitter.

Add two ice hearts and magic star potions along golden-silver thread.

Hannah found those ingredients and then plopped it in the cauldron.

Finally, tear this paper into pieces and then keep it in the cauldron. Then, add fairy dust and then say, "Harmony will belong forever".

Hannah tore the paper spell and then kept it into the cauldron. She found a small sack of fairy dust and added a sprinkle. Then she took a deep breath then said, "Harmony will belong forever."

There was a blinding light from the cauldron, and then Hannah blacked out.

When she woke up, it was morning, and it was raining. She noticed some withered plants blooming prettily.

Poor people suddenly had their hands filled with coins. Luzula Witch School suddenly started looking new and much more better. Fairies started coming, and dragons started flying, coming in the land in peace.

Miss Snow was sitting on a broomstick and then came to Hannah. "I knew you could do it."

June 24, 2022 05:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.