Don't be an idiot (a story about a boy and a cat crossing paths in Classical Athens)

Submitted into Contest #187 in response to: Write about a cat living in an ancient temple, like the Acropolis.... view prompt

13 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

************************************************************


Lying on the ground, in the mud

Grass between my fingers

Heart beating pain

No courage to pull out the blade.

Contemplating my destiny patiently

The caring touch of rain on the earth

What an ancient and sacred ground

Eons and eons, layer over layer

Different colors of soil, different textures

Iron, bone, and void

Roots spreading beneath, into another world.

To the mystical powers of Gaia, the giantess, and her children

To Hecate, the goddess sorceress

The earthly Hermes, who accompanies the souls to the Underworld

I'll drink to my future king and queen, Hades and Persephone.

************************************************************


Who's there?

Or where.

A crossroad in the woods

A thick blanket of salty mist hovers everywhere like a disease.

Wild dogs' barks break the eerie silence.

What kind of dark nymphs lurk on travelers,

What kind of sick illusion the children of the Night will play now?

A torch! Shh... Someone's approaching from a distance, let their purpose appear.

Who's there?

It's not one torch but three, held by three figures, female forms walking side by side.

Oh, the great protector of crossroads and travelers!

Bowing, I see closely the rocky path and decide to go forward

I hear the sound of water, and instantly, deep inside I know what I must do, I should meet the boatman.

Ahead there's a man holding a walking stick leading the group.

All walking, with a still sense of time until we finally got there, at the edge. 

More people await their ride.

But no one's making conversation.

************************************************************


Traveling through my memories, an odd sense, time confused. I let myself go, and I stop resisting.



There I am, as a teenage boy, accompanying my father to the Agora. We come from Erchia, and we are from the clan of Aigeis, one of the famous ten clans of Athens. Going to the Agora always was of great joy to my father despite the travel time, we would go there once in a while to find it busy, crowded, and lively. Men are casually walking, greeting, gathering, and shouting. There are some other people running errands in a rush. He used to say that it was the place to be, meet, and socialize to get information on what is going on, and seemed to value it rather highly.


“Son, one day you will be a citizen, you must learn to be responsible and care about public matters”

"But, why?"

"It's our city, only an idiot cares for himself alone. If something happens to our city, would it not affect the people living in it, our family included?"

I nodded, and he touched his gray beard with a serious look, which years later finally understood, was a concern about the future.


I was curious about his expression for a moment, and then my attention diverted to the most beautiful creature I had ever seen, it was a cat with fur like red ceramics, pale paws, and light green eyes. I followed the creature up the hill to his hideout, a small corner outside the yard of the Parthenon temple on the Acropolis hill.


Where had he come from? Perhaps he had run away from a ship at the Piraeus harbor and followed the flow of people and smells of food, finding the way to the city. Or perhaps, started some farm up from Thebes, smuggled himself in a merchant's carriage, and made his way in the Long Walls, which was another stop of his adventurous travels. I was fascinated by what its story could be, such a mystery. 


I kept going to Agora with my father and finding chances to feed the cat and play near the hill, which was like our observatory, and starting point for exploring different streets and corners of the city. I had a stick from an olive tree and he seemed so fond of chasing the yet-green olives. One day, I was thinking about what would be an appropriate name for him, and finally, I found the one: Planet. It means "he, who wanders", which seemed perfect. I was overjoyed, and since that day, Planet and I had become best friends. 



He was yet a kitten when I first found him, but as I was growing up, he was growing as well. He became an adult cat. Soon, I was of age to vote at the city gatherings.


Things had changed a lot. My father was weak and sick, and I was considered the man of the house, responsible for participating in the city gatherings, managing our property and resources, and taking care of my elderly mother and my two younger sisters. 


As if these were not enough, a war was going on, and I had to carry out my military duty as a citizen. Bad timing, but who knows what Fates have in store in any case. I was not good at fighting, I knew as a youngster when I tried my hand at sports. Again and again, it was proven it was not my gift, and I was fine with it. I just liked to watch theater performances of great stories, listen to philosophers rant with no end about what is a virtuous way to live, and spend my time carefree on sunny days laying under the shadow of a fig tree. Was that too much to ask? I am an Athenian, I am not a Spartan warrior, neither had I ever wanted to meet one for that matter. They didn't appreciate the arts and were incredibly rude and direct, or so I heard.


I wanted to go back to my carefree times, as those thoughts were crossing my mind with Planet by my side. He was the symbol of my most innocent times. He seemed tense as if he was feeling the god of war himself approaching our beloved city. It was in the air, the screams, the smoke, the smell of blood.


I wished to get away from it all. But I had responsibilities to my family and duty to my city. I petted Planet and decided to walk with him a round of the city before I head to battle. It is like he felt that I was not coming back, I did not want to think about it though. I felt like an imposter, with the armor hanging on my body, such an unfamiliar feeling, pulling me closer to mother earth.


"Alright, off you go!", I showed him a way out of the city, but he was just sitting there, staring at me.


"Go on, then! Go, save yourself, my dear friend, you are the only one who is free to go, do it for the both of us"


As if Planet really listened, he nodded with his eyes wide open, and escaped through the opening, moving with grace and elegance. As I admired him for the last time, I held my weapons next to me and headed to the designated meeting place I was supposed to present myself. To escape the moment, I kept daydreaming about the next travels and adventures of my friend, who would be running away, going towards the countryside.


According to the stories I heard when I was growing up, the oracle said, "The wooden walls will be your redemption". That divination was perhaps three generations ago. What was that even supposed to mean? Well, to many it meant the obvious, to stay in the fortress-like protection of the Acropolis. Others thought it was suicide, as our resources would run out and we would turn against each other. They preferred going to the ships, our fleet being strong and skilled. This is how we won the sea battle at Salamis against Xerxes and the Persian navy. But now, against the Spartans, would it work again? Which wooden walls this time?


It didn't matter much, as we were being defeated at all fronts, and slaughtered by the opposing side.


They told us, "Don't be an idiot, let's fight, and we shall win, we are worthy of winning", politicians and generals seemed sure. Alcibiades was not to be trusted from start, and many like him made plenty of promises.


In this war, I didn't see any winners, only weary souls, mourning mothers, sick, and dead bodies.


"Don't be an idiot, glory awaits", Aries whispered to the ears of the soldiers with a greedy grin. Then, there was only blood.




Maybe the only redemption for this costly foolishness of mortal men will be in the wooden walls of graves, I discovered as I was arriving at the crowded gates of the Underworld.


************************************************************








March 03, 2023 15:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Graham Kinross
23:56 Nov 30, 2023

Interesting that within the Greek mythology you can continue the story even though the main character died. I like that the cat lived. The cultural reverence of Sparta is interesting because people think of them as honourable warriors. Delving into the history you see that they made ‘war’ on their own slaves once a year and even their dedication to warfare wasn’t enough to save them forever. I do enjoy the story about their response to Xerxes. The Persian sent a threatening letter to Sparta to say that ‘if’ he invaded they would be wiped out...

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
09:02 Dec 01, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting! I don't write historical fiction so often, so I'm glad you liked the story. That anecdote with the "if" is attributed to the Spartans when they were negotiating with Philip II of Macedon (the father of Alexander the Great), rather than the Persians, but pretty smooth answer from the Spartans if it was true. I set the story in the period between 461-404 BCE, and more specifically around 430 BCE near the time of the plague of Athens. It's about two generations after the battle of Salamis, and it's during the...

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:55 Dec 01, 2023

My memory is terrible. I only remembered the exchanged threats and Sparta’s response. I hope it’s true but it does sound like something people would boast about after the fact. Every empire falls. I can see some history repeating when I watch the news with a few countries lining up their soldiers right now. The cost in young lives lost, never mind the fortune spent on a war effort scars most countries for decades or longer. In countries with falling birth rates, sending young men to war seems like a ridiculous thing to do from that angle al...

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
11:54 Dec 01, 2023

Oh don't worry I keep forgetting stuff too. I agree, I find that war is such a waste of energy, resources and lives. When animals fight for territory is not as terrible as humans with horrid crimes and mass destruction on their path, in such a great scale. One could argue that animals can't help it, but humans pride themselves in their sapient capabilities, it's such an irony if you think about it in that regard. But the game is set in such a way that is hard to stop.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:02 Dec 01, 2023

Revenge is the worst habit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:53 Aug 02, 2023

An interesting tale, which to me, is about the power of social pressure. It seems "idiot" here plays a double role, using both the "stupid" and "private" meanings. There are incredible forces pushing the narrator to war, and to an early grave. His father, the politicians, even Ares, they all repeat "don't be an idiot", more or less. Certainly there's value in living outside of yourself and being connected to the community at large, and in contributing during times of crisis like war, but there's a reek here of the high and mighty shot call...

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
06:45 Aug 03, 2023

You understood it perfectly! The lack of freedom versus the independence, the boy and the cat are meant to contrast each other :) And you were right about the double meaning of the word "idiot". Originally it meant people who don't care about the public matters. On itself it is nice to contribute, but in this context "idiot" is used for manipulation for greed and arrogance ("glory"), eventually resulting in death and destruction, following the patterns of ancient Greek theater plays where often arrogance (or hubris) is followed by destruct...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:25 Mar 12, 2023

I loved this story so much. The language was very poetic, and I was interested immediately! It feels like I am reading something from the Aeneid, or even the Iliad. You speak so beautifully, and the way you added the cat was so clever! Very well done!

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
18:00 Mar 18, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
01:12 Mar 07, 2023

Very good! You seem to be juggling so much, and writing in a different language? Impressive. You seem to be getting a very good grasp of the language, and you seem to have a knowledge of your subject as well.

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
12:40 Mar 08, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind words! I have been learning English since I was very young, but I still make many mistakes that a native speaker wouldn't make, so it's a continuous struggle for improvement. About the subject, I used to study the history of ancient Greece, Rome, and other places, and I spent my teenage years learning ancient Greek and Latin, studying texts at school. It was a long time ago, but some of that curiosity is still there :) The most interesting parts to me were the mythology, societal structures, and values of t...

Reply

David Sweet
15:13 Mar 08, 2023

I taught high school English and creative writing for many years, so I think you have an amazing grasp of the language and writing in English. I have also had a love of mythology since childhood and taught humanities as well, which encompassed art, music, dance, literature, and theatre throughout history. My interests are extremely varied. I am impressed with your writing. Keep it up! Let me know if I can assist. Unfortunately, I only speak English with an Appalachian (Southern) accent and poor British accent (haha). Have a great day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
15:13 Mar 08, 2023

I taught high school English and creative writing for many years, so I think you have an amazing grasp of the language and writing in English. I have also had a love of mythology since childhood and taught humanities as well, which encompassed art, music, dance, literature, and theatre throughout history. My interests are extremely varied. I am impressed with your writing. Keep it up! Let me know if I can assist. Unfortunately, I only speak English with an Appalachian (Southern) accent and poor British accent (haha). Have a great day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.