0 comments

Black Fiction Urban Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

My life is kinda funny

Here I am sitting on one of the most famous buildings in the world, The Empire State Building, looking down on one of the greatest cities in the world during its night life. Looking out seeing lights as far as the eye can see. The roar of thunder makes me glance up at the sky.

Oh yeah, I just found out my life may be coming to an abrupt end. That could ruin your whole day. Staring up into the sky, watching the dark threatening storm cloud rolling in fast, and then I look down at my gloved hands. Everyone always said I was special. Yeah, well because of how special I am my dad died, my mom is in the hospital, my brother is missing, and to top it off, my Grandpa, the only one who understood me, is gone. Way I see it, I’m cursed. Even with these powers, being the Indomitable Blitzkrieg hasn’t been easy. I have super strength, flight, enhanced reflexes, telekinesis, enhanced dexterity, a healing factor, and the ability to detect danger. All of that … with everything I can do … I may be totally powerless to stop what comes next.

It's scary to feel what powerlessness feels like.

The issue is to stop the world from being torn apart I have to fight this all powerful god, whom might I add has quite a vendetta against me recently. He calls himself the reincarnation of Zeus, the Greek god of wind and lightning, and king of the gods yadda-yadda.

He claims that humanity deserves annihilation because who cares. The man is deeply disturbed, but I can understand why. Growing up in a literal warzone overseas. Now he plans to do it that to the world. For some reason he offered a truce between us, like we're buddies or something. Of course, I can’t let him destroy the planet, that’s where I keep my stuff!

I smirk at my own joke. I always liked telling jokes at the worst possible times.

“I wish I didn’t have to do this…” I mutter to myself. I had told him that the human race has a lot to live for, even though I had no idea what that may be. This guy is whipping up a storm as I sulk, and is about to unleash a fury upon the world to which no mortal can survive. A literal apocalypse is about to rain down from above. A part of me says I’m gonna go up in those clouds, kick his butt, save the world, and be the great hero. Another part tells me … I won’t be coming back if I go.

I close my eyes to try to calm down and slow down my heart. I might die. This may be my last moments alive. I never wanted to be a hero, yet here I am debating if I should save the world. This world, might I add, has also labeled me a terrorist, and danger to all life on Earth. Yeah, I’m thinking of dying for that title. The world is full of bad people, I know because I had to deal with a lot of them, but there is good and it does exist. Even if Zeus is so obsessed with the idea that people are bad. They aren’t, I know that, even if I have doubts.

I’m not like Zeus. Take away my power and I’m not that different from anyone else, I could walk in a crowd of people and not stand out at all. Having power shouldn’t change that about me. I am not fighting for the humans, I am fighting for me, and for the people who I love and love me back. I have issues, just like any other person, but I don’t let them run my life. Like dad always said:

If you have the power to change the world, then the least you can do is try

“Alright then pop, this is for you,” I stated standing from my sitting position on the ledge of the building as I began floating in the air. I look at a dark tinted window to see my reflection.

I ditched my mask. I figured I’d die with face uncovered. Let everyone know that I really am Black and it was not rumor. I can’t help but take in my appearance one last time. Looking at my black long sleeved jacket with a hood attached to the neck, and a red lightning bolt. My black pants made of Kevlar like my jacket. Finally, my combat boots that’ve met many a face. My brown eyes stared at myself for a moment, until the lightning in the sky grabbed my attention again.

This guy needs to be stopped! Why shouldn’t it be by me? I point my body to the sky as I shoot off into the air and into the clouds. I come out of the other side of the clouds to see the sky above me. I look down to see the man who’s causing all this trouble. He's dressed like a Greek in ancient times, with a white robe, sandals, and a thick beard. The man stands maybe 10 feet, his eyes flowed with power as he looked up at me. Yeah, I’d buy the whole reincarnated god thing.

“Finally decided to show thyself,” he spoke in his powerful voice that echoed all around us. Listening to him talk is gonna get old fast. “Have you made your choice in allegiance?”

“You could say that,” I responded as I float down to land the cloud he is standing on.

He crosses his arms looking me, “Well, mortals, or gods, which do you, choose?”

I sigh and Zeus raised an eyebrow at me. “We all have something special about us, so who are we to decide who isn’t good enough. Power doesn’t make you better, just different, but it also gives you a chance to make a difference. We both want to make a difference here, so I guess we’ll see what happens.”

“I’m disappointed in you Blitzkrieg. You have such amazing power why squander it?” Zeus asks.

“Well it's mine and I think I'm living up to it! Real strength comes from doing something that isn’t easy.”

“I grew up in a hell hole Blitzkrieg, devoid of this nobility. I’ve seen humanity at its worst, and looking out upon the world. Everyone is merely just two steps away from it.”

“Well Amias, you’re 18 years old, and you’ve given in completely to this crazy power. You’ve let it consume you and turn you into this thing!” I yell at him using his real name. “How is this living up to any potential?”

Zeus narrows his eyes at me, “My name is Zeus, not Amias. Amias was weak, vulnerable, and afraid.” Lightning began to dance around him.

With a flick of his arm lightning comes flying at me with frightening speed. After a quick flip avoiding it. I rush him at Mach 3 once I'm close though he sinks into the cloud below. I follow after him. Lightning converged on me electrocuting me. This pain, I have to say, is the worst. Next thing I feel is a blunt impact slamming into my gut jumbling a few of my insides on impact. I fight through the pain enough to avoid the next blow aimed at my face. I cup my hands to deliver a shattering blow to my opponent’s temple. The impact shook my body with how hard I hit him, and the sheer sound of the contact sounded like thunder. I struck him with another blow to the face, and then I reached out to yank him back by his freakish beard then slammed my forearm into the man’s throat.

This dazed Zeus long enough for me to grab his arm as I shoot down back toward the ground. Zeus was giving off intense electrical discharge that makes it hard to focus. I fought through it all the way to the pavement below as we-

“Ugh!” I coughed out realizing that I had blacked out there. I found breathing to be pretty hard all of sudden. Which usually is always bad. Especially with that red puddle below me. It’s a struggle to get to my feet as I note my uniform is tattered. Rubbing my torso feels like I have…yep four broken ribs.

I look up to see Zeus standing over me mostly intact, except the clear bruises on his face.

He frowns down at me, “This won’t end any other way.”

“Well…can’t blame me for…t-trying…” Zeus raised his hand summon a bolt of lightning in his hand. Every cell in my body was screaming for me to move. I need to move, to run, to escape, but I knew…this was it. “Why not go out with a bang…” I muttered. I stared up at Zeus fiercely feeling this power build inside of me, begging to be released.

“You have quite the nerve to resist me!” Zeus exclaimed, mostly in shock that he was actually hurt.

“When you have the power to make a difference, the least you could do is try,” I said with a smirk. I dive to the side dodging the lightning bolt just as he swung his arm down. I glance around to see we landed in Times Square. Ironically this is where I had my first fight as Blitzkrieg. I circle around to his back then lunge at him from behind. He’s quick to turn with a solid bolt of lightning in his hand. As he threw it I was already moving as I managed to sidestep the bolt as it crashes somewhere behind me. I hear screams, telling me I need to move this now. I tackle into him then fly into the sky back into the clouds, before shoving him away once we were on the other side.

We glare before I'm diving down onto Zeus. We trade a barrage of blows, but neither of us lets it show how the battle is wearing us down. He slams his knuckles against my jaw. Somehow I managed to roll with it as I went flying back gaining traction on the cloud. He points his hands out at me then shoots out a bolt of lightning straight at me. “So close!” I tease weaving around the lightning blast.

Zeus mashes his teeth then throws up both his hands to create a powerful tornado in the sky. Man I hate fighting guys like him, they just take physics and bends it over to-

“Ugh!” The wind was so strong it hit like a brick wall when I crashed into it. Zeus threw in a lightning bolt for good measure which hits me in the chest. “AH!” I scream as I start falling back down to the ground. I notice that it has started raining now which meant this storm was only going to get worse. “Danger Intuition!” I flip backwards in the air narrowly avoiding a charge from Zeus.

“This is futile!” Zeus yells at me over the storm.

“Sorry names not Kyle?!” I respond back. He knows I heard him. I don’t know if irritating him is the best idea though. He raises his hands to bring down two bolts of lightning, one each hand. The lightning bolts take form until they look like swords. He flies at me swinging both of them at me like a madman. I can barely stay one step ahead of them. Dodging around each strike with broken ribs.

“I’m surprised you can still move like this with broken ribs,” He remarks.

“Well get ready to find out how because you’re about to have a few,” I see my opening striking with a left cross my fist sinking into the side of his face. “And by a few I meant a blackeye if my quip wasn’t clear enough.”

“These childish taunts will cease!” Zeus yells at in outrage as a rush of wind knocks me back. While off balanced Zeus rushes forward impaling me with one of those swords through my stomach. I hear myself make this gagged noise as I felt my insides burning. This was unlike any stab wound I’ve had, the bolt of lightning let out a discharge that made my muscles spasm. I want to black out, my god I really want to black out. But … if I do die…

“At least…buy me…dinner first…” I won’t go peacefully. Zeus moves to impale me again with his other sword. I grab Zeus’ wrist then twist sharply turning his wrist, making him miss. If he dispelled this bolt, I would start bleeding out. His arm is the size of my entire head, covered in muscle, but still breakable. I raised my elbow and then crushed his forearm between my elbow and knee.

“AH!” he yells out. I hit his arm with another knee strike to dislocate his elbow. He yells out in pain. God or not, his bones still break. With that arm out of commission the blade that impaled me vanishes. Zeus flails with his other sword, but I catch the blade in my hand. Then I crush it in my fist before pulling back to deliver a punch with enough force it sounded like an explosion with the resulting shockwave.

I grab him with all the strength as we fly towards the ground. I see we ended up somewhere out of the city, looks like a body of water. I dive down to plunge us into the water. We both stop to float above the water only giving the appearance as if we were standing on the surface. Something is off about Zeus though, his body looks to have shrunk down a bit, his beard got shorter, and looking shorter. I place my hand on the wound on my stomach.

“So…that’s…not the real you…” Blitzkrieg states.

“Shut up…” Zeus gasps. “Just shut up…shut up and die.”

“You think…a little thing…like a punctured…lung…is gonna stop me…my…fans demand a certain…amount of quips…every battle.” I slip off my jacket then wrap it around my stomach. I tie it tightly around my torso.

Zeus responds by rushing forward his charge distilling the water below him. He lashes out like a wild man, no control, just swinging. I manage to step outside the arc of his swings before giving a strong strike to his solar plexus. I manage to get a few more hits in before I have to kick off his chest to avoid lightning from crashing into me from above. He continues raining down lightning from the sky scattering the water all around us.

I perform a 360 spin before extending my leg to slam my foot straight into his jaw. The force behind the blow made him go flying skipping above the waves of the water. He keeps going until he crashes into the coast where a bunch of sailboats are docked. I can see Zeus preparing to get back up and I got desperate. I flew over to grab a yacht, the biggest I could find, I heave the craft over my head.

I see a look in his eyes, terror. He’s afraid now, scared even. I don’t care though. I slam the front of the boat directly on top of him before he could say a word. But I can’t stop there. I sink my fingers into the bottom of the craft to lifting it, to slam it back down. The boat hitting the ground was deafening, with metal scattering, and screams muted. It all goes away as I keep picking it up to smash the boat down on him over and over again. I don’t stop I don’t let up as the boat begins to tear apart in my hands under the stress of so much force. Finally, I pick it up one more time lifting it higher over my head as pieces of metal fall off. I stare down at the battered image of Zeus. I was kinda expecting this grotesque image, but I supposed he's made of tough stuff.

He’s shrunken down even more, his muscular godlike body gone. His toga now ill-fitting around him. He stares up at me for a second then closes his eyes. Like he is accepting whatever happens next. I should just kill him, drop this thing on him a few more times would crush him.

I release the craft for it crash behind me. Zeus seems surprise as he looks at me. I float down to stand over him to take in his appearance. It looked like a large portion of his bones may’ve been crushed, but if he’s as tough as he talks he should be fine. Looking at him, I can see that he may actually be younger than 18, might’ve even be my age. 

He looks at me with what I guess is contempt. He doesn’t say anything, guess he might not have anything to say. Honestly, neither do I, so I turn around to leave. That godlike body he had was probably just a transformation he used to tap into his powers. It’s too bad how things turned out though.

“ANTHONY!” I hear a voice yell from above. I look up to see one of my friends, Rush, flying over. The wind ripples as he lands in front of me, not in uniform but in street clothes. “Oh my god-,”

“Please…don’t say god…” I rasp out. He gives a small smirk but only for a second.

I turn to see Zeus pointing a hand out at us. I knew Rush wouldn’t survive a blast like this. I shoved him away startling him. I hear the crash of thunder, Rush screams my name, but everything else goes dark.

September 17, 2022 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.