2 comments

Drama Romance Fiction

It’s Christmas eve and he’s nervous. Not many things make him nervous. He is a big man. Two meters tall and weighing in at 21 stone, there aren’t that many men larger than him. He has thick hair, black as pitch, and a calm serious face. 

His full name is Branok Fitzsimmons, but most know him only as Fitz. His employer routinely calls him by his given name; something only his mother and father had done before they passed several years prior.   

Coincidentally his employer was one of the few things that made him nervous. His employer had been a miner for years back in the old country and had spent years building up his “Enterprise” so that he essentially ran the west side of the city. People that knew his employer addressed him as Mr. Penrose, or Sir at the very least. 

Outwardly it might seem unusual for his employer to make Fitz nervous especially when he towered over the older man nearly 30 centimeters and weighed probably 10 stone more than him.   

But in all honesty, most were uneasy around his employer. Fitz’s co-worker Teague had admitted that their boss was the only thing that truly unnerved him; and Teague was the toughest man that Fitz had ever known.   

So here he is in the great town hall where Christmas festivities were ongoing and he was nervous. Not nervous because Mr. Penrose was about; because his employer was in his large office at one of the city’s finest hotels. And he wasn’t nervous because he was about to see a Doctor: one of the only other things to unnerve him.

No! the source of his unease was 100 feet away across the crowded common room. 

It was early on in Christmas eve but Fitz knew that she had been there most of the day setting up the hall to make sure the annual Yule festivities went off without a hitch. 

The source of his nervousness this Christmas eve was half his weight, and a good 20 centimeters shorter than he himself. That still made her on the taller side for a woman. 

She was a lovely young woman by any standard; and in fact he thought she was the most beautiful thing he had been fortunate enough to see in his life. 

He put his hand in his pocket and ran his rough hands over the ornate box that held an antique ring. 

He approached Nellie and waited for her to notice him. It didn’t take long because he was very difficult to miss if you were looking anywhere in his direction. The smile that lit up Nellie’s face upon seeing him, made him smile in turn. 

She stood up on her tippy, tippy toes and still he had to bring his head down a bit for her to plant a kiss on his rough cheek. 

“Nellie my sweet, he told her, I have something for you”. She stood back a moment as he pulled the box from his pocket 

He watched her lovely face as he presented the antique box.  Her face lit up as he told her “Nellie dear, I’ve something to ask of you” 

He was somewhat disheartened when her expression turned neutral and before he could speak, she said”oh Bran, you know how much you mean to me, but you know how I feel about you working for that man”. 

Mr. Penrose called him by his given name; but Nellie was the only one who called him Bran. And he knew that she disapproved of him working for Penrose because of the nature of the business. 

Now Fitz had been called upon by Mr. Penrose to be fairly brutal now and again over the years that he had worked for the “Enterprise”, but otherwise he was actually quite polite and respectful.  He was never cruel for the sake of it and attended mass regularly. 

While Fitz was pondering what to say next to the woman he loved; she spoke again. “it’s early in the eve, and I have so much to do Bran dear.  Talk to me before the night is over and we’ll see what we will see”. 

Fitz nodded in agreement and leaned down to place a kiss lightly on Nellie’s lips. She turned and went back to organizing some Yuletide activity or another. He watched her for a minute; thinking on what he needed to do, all the while knowing that he needed to be with her.   

Fitz had some people to see; and things to discuss so he made his way to “Flowry’s”. 

On his way he thought to himself that he had never thought of proposing to anyone; especially someone like Nellie, who many would probably say was to good for the likes of him.  And technically he hadn’t proposed, not properly. 

Flowry was a florist boutique that was run by Nellie’s grand aunt. He knew that Nellie’s father had been in the Great War and had not returned.  Since she had no other immediate family; Nellie had been taken in by her aunt, who also happened to be Teague’s own Mamm. 

Upon arrival at “Flowry’s”, Fitz saw that Nellie’s aunt was busy doing floral stuff. He took a moment to take in the sights and scents of the shoppe before approaching the Mrs.   

He especially enjoyed the Cornish Heath; the pink aromatic flowers were often on Mr. Penrose’s desk, as his employer said they reminded him of home. 

“Nadelik Lowen to you Mrs.” Fitz called out to the shoppe keeper. 

“And to you as well Fitz” Teague’s Mamm replied. 

“What can I do for you lad, she asked; does your Mr. Penrose fancy some more Cornish Heath?” 

Fitz replied with, “that’s not it Mrs. I wanted to have a word about Nellie” He watched the Mrs. to see how she would respond.  He was pleased that a trace of a smile appeared on the shoppe keepers face. 

“I see that box you’re holding lad; Teague’s Mamm said to him.  Unless I’m mistaken, I think it has a ring in it.” 

Fitz hadn’t realized that he had been clutching the box as he walked from the great hall to the flower shoppe. 

“you are not mistaken Mrs., Fitz told her. I wanted to ask you about me offering it to Nellie” 

“well have a seat lad while I fetch us a cup of tea; I don’t fancy straining my neck by looking up at you for too long.” 

Fitz took a seat while Teague’s Mamm puttered about the back of the shoppe in a small kitchenette, and fixed several good cups of tea. 

After Teague’s mamm sat across from him; he started by saying “you know how I feel about Nellie, Mrs., And I want to ask her to be my wife.” 

Teague’s mother considered this for a moment and said “is it because she’s a lovely girl?” 

Fitz thought about this for only a moment before he answered. “There’s no denying that Nellie is lovely, and truth be told I think she’s the most beautiful thing I've seen in my whole life. I have to say Mrs. That my heart skips a beat every time I see her: every single time.” 

Teague’s mother nodded slightly and listened as Fitz continued with “but it’s more than that. she’s smart and funny and hard working; and she’s the best person I know, so that’s why it is” 

“that’s all well and good Fitz, Teague’s mother said, but if you’re looking for my blessing, it’s not really mine to give. she continued; since her daddy didn’t come back from the War, I'd say Teague is the closest thing to someone who could give any blessings” 

Fitz took a moment to think on this and then asked” do you know where he is Mrs?” 

She answered him”he’s over to the pub – the Prancing Pony – you can find him there, for what it’s worth Fitz, you were always polite when you were collecting for Penrose, not like that fellow Gerald. And I know Nellie thinks the world of you; so if it were my place to give blessings about you, then I would” 

Fitz smiled slightly and said “Thanks Mrs. I’m going to go see him now” 

Fitz made his way to the Prancing Pony; the busiest pub in the neighborhood, and was halfway there before he realized he was still clutching the antique box with the ring. He put it away so as to be certain not to lose it. 

The Prancing Pony was the oldest pub in the neighborhood and had much of the old country about it. From the décor, to the food and of course the drink they offered. He knew that men like Mr. Penrose and others of his kind found this pub comforting in the way it reminded them of home. 

Fitz saw Teague at a table with several other rough looking men near the back of the pub; and he made his way over. Teague made eye contact with him and nodded slightly when Fitz was a few tables away. 

He had worked with Teague for several years and they were more than co-workers, but he wouldn’t say they were best friends. 

Fitz told Teague “i have to talk with you” he sat down with Teague and pulled the box out of his pocket and sat it on the table between them. 

“What’s this? Teague asked him 

Fitz opened the antique box and told Teague “this ring belonged to my Dama and I want to give it to Nellie. It seems to me that since her father didn’t come back from the war, that you are the closest thing to a father type for her and I wanted to ask for your blessing” 

Fitz watched for Teague’s expression and was happy to note that at least the other man didn’t seem upset or outraged at the audacity of someone like him wanting to be with someone like Nellie. 

Teague looked at the box and the ring inside. He looked up at Fitz and then back at the ring. “Well Fitz, Teague said, I can’t say that this surprises me. I’ve known about your feelings for my cousin for quite a while, and there are times when she can’t seem to shut up about you.” This brought a smile to Fitz’s face. 

Fitz watched Teague’s face for almost a minute; waiting for the other man to say something, anything, preferably something positive about his request for a blessing. 

“So Teague, do you have anything to say about this?” 

Teague spoke to him; “i know the kind of man you are Fitz. I've

worked alongside you for several years and you’ve always been basically a decent fellow. Not like Gerald. But I love Nellie like a sister and I want to know what you would do for her?” 

Fitz considered this for a moment and then replied” I would do anything Teague, I will do anything for her” 

Teague looked over at the larger man and asked “ would you beat me? If you did that then I think I could give you my blessing”. 

Fitz spoke almost immediately “Yeah Teague, for this, I would beat you” 

“Are you that sure of yourself Fitz?” he asked the bigger man. 

Fitz told Teague: “I’m sure of this” 

Teague stood and leaned to Fitz and said “Let’s get to this then” 

Penrose sat at his desk; even though it was Christmas Eve. He figured he had another fifteen minutes of work before he could join the community in the great hall for Christmas Festivities. 

He heard a knock and called out “Enter, it’s open” 

Penrose was a little surprised to see Fitz at his office on Christmas

Eve. He had assumed the big man would be at the festivities with most of the neighborhood. 

“what can I do for you Branok my boy?” 

Fitz looked at his boss behind his gargantuan desk of granite and teak. 

“Mr Penrose sir, Fitz started, I needed to speak with you”. 

Penrose looked his man over and spoke” You look a bit rough there lad. Did you take a tumble down a flight of stairs?” He could see that Fitz had been roughed up. there were marks on the big man’s face and his shirt was torn in a few places. 

“i had a conversation with Teague down at the pub” Fitz told his employer.  

Penrose came back with “and you were able to walk back here? have a seat Branok” 

Fitz sat across from the smaller man and put his hand in his pocket. he pulled out the box and put it on the granite top of his employer’s giant desk. 

“What do we have here? Penrose asked the bigger man. 

Fitz opened the antique box and slid it across the desk to Penrose. 

Penrose looked at the ancient box and the ring within and said “i don’t think this is for me. what’s the story lad?” 

“This is for Nellie, Fitz told his employer. 

Penrose thought for a moment and then “i wondered when you would get around to this lad” 

Fitz spoke to Penrose “that’s what I'm here to talk about Mr Penrose sir” 

“Well Branok, I'm not the one you should be speaking to if you are looking for a blessing. you really should be talking to Teague”. 

Fitz told his employer “that’s what I was talking to Teague about sir. He told me that if I beat him, he would give me his blessing” 

Penrose asked; “and how did that go for you lad?” 

Fitz told the older man “he gave me his blessing” 

Fitz saw that the older man looked surprised; and he did not blame him. “and how did that happen, Penrose asked. 

“Honestly Mr. Penrose, Fitz told him, I think he let me win. But he made me work for it. I swear that man has a jaw of iron and fists of stone.” 

Penrose agreed with the larger man; “he does at that, but if he gave you his blessing then what do we need to speak about?” 

“well Mr Penrose sir, I aim to ask Nellie to be my wife” 

Penrose spoke “so let me ask you this Fitz. let’s say you are lucky enough to make that happen and one day your wife and family need you, but I need you as well. then What?” 

Fitz took a moment to think and then told his employer “well sir, it seems to me that I help my family, and then after, if you still need it, then I go about helping you.” 

Penrose looked at his man for almost a minute and then slowly smiled a slight smile. That’s a good answer Branok my lad. a man’s got to look after his family” 

“Mr Penrose sir; Fitz told the shorter man, that’s what I wanted to talk about. I can’t work for you any longer if I want to be with Nellie” 

Penrose’s face darkened briefly, then went back to looking like a pleasant uncle.   

“well Branok, I can say that you will be missed; and she’ll be lucky to have you for a husband, but you’ll be even luckier to have her to wife. Nellie will make a fine wife and mother. 

It's Christmas Eve and he’s nervous. he is in the great hall again and he sees her across the way. 

He holds out the antique box so that she can see it from across the way: and she smiles. 

December 26, 2020 04:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kesey Trout
13:31 Jan 04, 2021

As asked, here is my feedback- This story is very mature, I really like it. Your descriptive language couldn't get any better. The only thing I would say is to try and hook your readers more. I wasn't fully into the story when I was reading it, as in I wasn't so into it that I couldn't hear the things around me or felt like I was there and couldn't stop reading. Overall I think this is lovely, and your on track to become an incredible writer.

Reply

John Del Rio
23:58 Mar 07, 2022

Hello and happy 2022, I completed the whole story of "Special Ingredient ", and even recorded all the chapters. You can listen to it here if you are interested https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwxO4Xv4VdHn6NrTBotIsV3WoFBIrz6E

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.