A Fang of a Night

Written in response to: Set your story in a roadside diner.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Suspense Fiction

It was midnight as the bell rang on the silver diner door. Fifties music chimed joyfully around me. The large yellow moon loomed over the empty silent street. The ancient decrepit street lamp flickered, leaving the street bathed in rich moonlight. My blue waitstaff dress clung to my hourglass figure as no one came in. The door swung shut, still revealing no one in the diner. The music cut out as the lights shut off. The humming machines died down, leaving only silence. Cold sweat dripped down my face as my fingers twisted my long wavy brown hair.

"Hello." I called out, shaking. "Who's there?" Nothing answered, making my heart nearly beat out of my chest. Boom, boom went my heart. Glass crashed behind me, nearly making me jump out of my pale skin. Desperation shakily made me search for a weapon. Pain seared my palm as a sharp blade sank into my soft skin. Hot liquid dripped down my palm, and onto the counter. Cold fingers danced down my neck. The wooden handle of a steak knife felt heavy in my trembling hands. The air rushed around my face as I blindly swung in the empty darkness. A strong grip burned my arm and threw me to the hard wooden floor. Air rushed out of my lungs, creaking the floor below me. The room spun around me, making me sick to my stomach.

"No one was supposed to be here." A soft male voice exhaled. "I just needed a special stone." Wheezing, I pulled myself up to counter. Anger boiled in my vein when a slender hand struck my cheek.

"I don't know what freaking stone you are talking about." I uttered coolly. "I just work here." Chuckling rang out around me as the lights flickered back on. Before me stood an odd looking, but very handsome man. His black hair hung wildly around his handsome face. Red eyes glistened back at me as I wrapped my hand in a nearby towel. Red bled onto the soft white fabric. My copper eyes wandered over his red dress suit. A black skull cane stared back at my confused face. A crooked grin lit up his face.

"Your boss made a deal with me. All of this for simply holding a specific item for me. "Where is his office?" My eyebrows furrowed, creasing my forehead.

"It's in the back." I muttered oddly. "Follow me." His black dress shoes clicked against the dark wooden floors through the narrow spaces between the counter and trash door. An oak door with six locks sat ahead of us. He snapped his fingers, and the locks all clicked open. The door creaked open to reveal a white walled office with a messy desk in the center of the room. Papers flew everywhere as he searched for whatever it was. Happiness lit up his face when a large black diamond sat in his eager palm.

"Do you want to come with me?" He asked with a playful wink. "I can be more fun than all of this." Temptation urged me just to say yes, but my brain just shouted no on all levels.

"Are you the devil, or something like that?" I inquired, looking a way sheepishly. "Also I am a human, so how would that work?" Laughing to himself, he wrapped me in his warm embrace. No heartbeat echoed into my ears. Fangs grew out of his mouth, dropping my heart into my stomach. My eyes grew wide with fear as his fangs sank into my neck. A sickening sound rang through my ears while my blood poured into his hungry mouth. My stomach flipped with nausea as he pulled away. Fresh hot blood poured down my neck staining my uniform scarlet. Panic torched my mind, causing it to go blank. The silver door begged me to open it to my escape. Agony gripped my body as my veins throbbed angrily. Slowly, my heart stopped beating, collapsing me to the floor. Fuzziness entered my eyes until a startling clarity woke up my brain. Thousands of voices ran through my mind, making my head ache harder than even my worse migraines. Heartbeats shook the floor beneath me. A burning hunger screamed in my dry throat. My canines fell out on the floor in front of me. Burning gums greeted my body as fangs grew out of my mouth. Just like the drop of a hat, the whole thing was over. The odd man looked down at me with a wide smile. Joy was the last thing I felt.

"I am a vampire my dear, Sally." He answered with his hand out. "I am sorry for that, but your bleeding palm made me lose control. I am truly sorry. Drink this." His eyes darkened with deep sadness. Cautiously, I grabbed his hand in response. Nausea slammed my stomach at the thought of drinking blood. His red eyes looked at me patiently expecting me to drink soon. A popping sound rang in my ears as my fangs sank into his skin. Relief washed over me as his blood roared into my throat. The burning thirst melted away into nothing. Horror filled my mind when I pulled back, feeling the blood drip from the corner of my mouth. His thumb wiped my cheek gently. His lips pressed against mine hungrily. Our dead hearts almost started beating again. Time stopped around us as it was only us. Awkward silence hung between us when he looked back into my eyes. We were meant to be. He must have been my soulmate this entire time.

"Let's go." I said with a smile. "No use being a waitress if I am a vampire, John." His ears perked up at the mention of his name. Tears welled up in his eyes as he swung me around. He hugged me as tight as he could, rubbing my back.

"You remember me now." He whispered into my ear. "But a witch placed a curse on you, and turned you into a human. I missed you so much." A small smile lit up my face when we walked out to his black hearse. I suppose death becomes me.

September 09, 2021 19:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.