Are we destined to burn or will we last the night?

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

4 comments

Drama Science Fiction Romance

When everything was broken

The Devil hit his second stride

(...)

For fear of moments stolen

I don't wanna say goodnight

But I'll still see you in the morning

Still know your heart and still know both your eyes

(...)


Adam 531 could not remember when he first walked under the midnight sky and found these words buried in the rubble of something called a music store. All the piece of paper said was that it was part of song titled “Lost” by a human named Dermot Kennedy.

“What is a song? What is music?” He remembered asking. He never got an answer. Its not like the surrounding...cyborgs? androids? half-breeds? could tell him. He also didn't remember why he picked it up and kept it in his storage compartment, hidden from the other humanoids. It was as if the world only consisted of Plastis and Orgas constantly at war with each other.

All sense of time was lost. Adam 531 didn't even know where he came from, how or even when we was created. All he did know was that his chiseled masculine face, bright brown hair, blue eyes and pale skin was all synthetic. And that he was one of the few that Father Adam made some forgotten time ago to hunt down the last Orgas.

He could probably guess, when his neural net started to glitch, occasionally losing connection from the others and began reading the surviving books from the rubble, that he was what old humans might call an Android: he had plastic but flexible skin that could blend with the environment on the outside making him look human, but on the inside he was equipped with a heat tracking system, a targeting device to kill at a 150 meter range, several deadly weapons that could obliterate any organic thing, and injector feline fangs that, if his downloaded mission from Central 101 ordered him to, could infect any captured human with the nanites necessary to convert their structure to their needs. No resemblance to human internal organs at all.

Adam 531 was number 531 of 1000 elite soldiers made for one sole purpose: Infiltrate, Search and Destroy. He only got a break when he completed his rounds and returned to Central 101 to recharge his energy core at sunrise. It was at such a moment when all his other systems hibernated and switched to Home mode, making him not notice any Orgas, or humans hiding in his vicinity.


****

Michael watched from the safety of the underground porthole he found as the Plasti turned around and walked away. Dawn was fast approaching and he knew the killing machine would return to its base. However it wasn't until it was safely out of his sight that he finally let out the breath he was holding and relaxed the iron grip on his EM gun.

He waited for the cover of strong daylight to move from his hiding place and start scavenging for food, which was the only time when he was able to feed himself. Even with all their technology and superior abilities, those Plastis still could not withstand the sunlight. They were like the cybernetic version of vampires only roaming at night.

“Plastis...” he wondered as he slipped into a run down grocery store hoping to find something that was still edible among the cans. “I don't remember when we started calling them plastis. Was it because of their skin tone? Or material? Come to think of it... how did we end up like this?” he thought bitterly.

Judging by the dates on the cans, the last time humans had an active civilization was April 24th 2050. And from what he remembered from the stories the elders used to tell in his colony, it has been at least 20 years since the nuclear apocalypse. Michael recalled the sad and scared feeling he got whenever they told him about it. How they described the raining fire and the burning... the city buildings crashing down, killing thousands in the explosions... men, women and children running for their lives...

“Mom and Lucia were there so it probably wasn't that long ago,” Michael thought as he sat on the floor in the sun and ate the rat he found scavenging in the scraps after cooking it on a fire. Then his mind drifted to the images conjured up by the tales of one Elder Amy Hewitt.

“You were lucky then if you didn't die of food poisoning from the nuclear fallout landing on fresh food and water.” she said one night. “The famine and the radiation took more than half of our people. But the worst of it...” the old woman had said, her ancient voice filling the ears of children surrounding the fire, “the worst of it were the applications and the enhancements people started to download to their brains. It was meant to be a harmless neural matrix; designed for the paralyzed and the brain dead. But something happened. People wanted to be more. They wanted to be forever young. Super strong, super fit.... and then... after the first blasts, these half-breeds were zombies walking among us. Not the half dead kind, no... their bodies were still very much alive. But their souls were no longer there. After that anyone that got attacked by them were infected with some sort of disease, turning them into machines.”

Yep, Michael remembered all too well what kind of disease that was. His older sister was bitten and not long after that she started getting these grid patterns on her skin. She was still able to speak and function, but after two weeks her own ten year old brother had to end her life. Lucia Demarco was no longer human, with white iris-less eyes contrasting the inhumanly dark complexion she developed, with neon red traces of light passing through her bald head.

Then two years later his colony was attacked by what seemed like an upgrade from Lucia. The same human form but hardly any organic material with EM weapons inside their forearms. They were known as cyborgs.

He had no choice. At 15 it was either join the Guard or risk getting assimilated into the Plastic human killers.

“Maybe that's where plasti comes from.” thought Michael as he collected his things and kept moving.

As he walked he thought about his old squadron. Especially this one soldier, Jason. In the Guard you were partnered with another soldier and were expected to never separate again. But no matter how much Michael tried to get along with him, he just couldn't stand Jason Roderick. Always getting on his nerves, teasing him, mocking him for his feminine manners... it wasn't his fault that he grew up with no men, for Christ's sake! And what was it with commentating on his looks all the time?! He even went as far as giving him some lyrics on a paper he found. If it wasn't for the fact that he chased after women, Michael would have thought that Jason was gay. He told him that once and received a sarcastic “I wouldn't love you even if you were the last human alive.” Although the opposite might have been true now that Micheal had time to think about it.

Now, as Michael settled into a secluded cave to rest for the four hours he allowed himself, he sadly thought that he would give anything to have Jason by his side again. To hear his voice, his laugh, to hold him in a bear hug like Jason would after surviving a battle...maybe even tease him, saying that they just might be the last squadron alive and should try to repopulate the world with the few that were left and have Jason laugh about it like he always did...


After the squadron was outnumbered 12 to 1 during an attack, he heard Jason scream for his life and feared the worst. He lost sight of him and after the sun rose and he went to search for survivors, Michael didn't find a single trace of him. He feared that he was long gone.


Michael was left alone after that. With no other survivors he wandered through the ruined territory day after day trying to find another colony but was met with the devastating scenery of death and destruction. Years passed and he feared that he was indeed the last human alive.

“No, I must be strong. I must be strong and cold to survive.” he recited to himself so as not to fall into the sadness that Jason's memory caused him.

He recited the lyrics that he had memorized long ago, and in the vast emptiness of the cave his voice rang like a breeze in the wilderness:


(...)

I could've told you 'bout the long nights

How no one loves the birds that don't rise

So you can tell the heroes go hide

My sense of wonder's just a little tired


But if only you could see yourself in my eyes

You'd see you shine, you shine

I know you'd never leave me behind

But I am lost this time

Are we destined to burn, or will we last the night?

I will hold you 'til I hold you right

But if only you could see yourself in my eyes

You'd see you shine, you sh...


Michael didn't notice the sound of footsteps slowly getting closer to him in the cave as he recited his lullaby, until they were too close. He rose in a heartbeat and loaded his weapon, ready to fire.


****

Jason could recognize that voice anywhere.

He'd spent too much time engraving it to his memory in the years that he aimlessly drifted in the orange, lifeless wilderness that he found himself in after the battle. Yes, he was bitten and yes it hurt like hell but after bleeding out the technical poison he was still alive and kicking.


Now Michael DeMarco was right in front of him! Was he really there or did Jason die and go to heaven? How many nights had he spent wishing that his partner in war would come to rescue him when he was weak? How many days had he spent looking for him? How many heart stopping moments had he had when he would fight with a half-breed plasti praying that it wasn't Michael? How many tears had he shed wishing that he could look into Michael's bright brown eyes again? Those eyes that, even though they had seen so much, still had a small ray of hope that lightened Jason's heart?


Now Jason stared at him in shock. He had memorized every line of his body, every scar, wrinkle, curve of his sandy brown curls, that golden skin, those pink lips and bright brown eyes... Yes, Jason loved him more than his own life.

But as fate would have it, he only realized that after they were separated. He didn't realize that the mocking and the teasing was just a desperate attempt to get Michael's attention. And chasing the girls? Classic denial at its finest.


Suddenly he was snapped out of his thoughts when Michael suddenly rose and aimed his EM gun at him.

“Michael its me!” Jason said, holding out his hands in surrender. “Please, put down your gun my friend. Its really me. Jason.” he explained more calmly.

By the looks of it Michael was also in shock. His face went from determined survival to shock and back again in under a second. “Prove it. Show me you're real.”

“Of course,” Jason thought. Cyborg plastis were upgraded to sound just like the original infected human but they didn't possess their memories. So remembering this, Jason recited the rest of the lyrics, trying and failing to hide his tears:


(...)

So we'll run into the open

Keep your hand inside of mine

And then when everything is over

I hope to think of this as better times

(...)


“There was a burn mark in the paper I gave you so part of the lyrics are missing.” Jason said, his whole body shaking in the attempt to throw caution to the wind and hug his friend as soon as he saw a trace of recognition on his face. He held back seeing that Michael still had his gun aimed at him “But the rest goes like this:” he added:


(...)

I was lost 'til I found you

Now these songs will hold and hide your name

All at once was all about you

Since that night the moon has never seemed the same

(...)


“You were pretty pissed off at that stance thinking that it was a love song.” Jason finished.

Michael was finally satisfied that it was indeed Jason standing in front of him. He lowered the gun gently onto the ground, breaking his threatening posture and Jason deemed it safe to approach him.

Holding out his weathered hands Jason touched Michael on his shoulders while Michael looked down on the ground, crying, attempting to hide the years of sadness and immense relief he felt at seeing him again.

After what seemed like ages the two reunited friends locked together in a much needed embrace.


****

(...)

The sky got red and swollen

I guess I never see the signs

There can't be songs for every soldier

It can't be solace every time you cry

(...)

What if the love you deserve is love you never find?

(…)


Adam 531 had found another part of the same song as he went about his rounds. This time it was under crushed and rotten skeletons among a half fallen house.

“Love?” he thought. Adam 531 searched his records and found no match for the word other than the numerous times he had read it in books and dictionaries. There was no program for it. No applications that could download it from the main database or an image. It was a...concept? Idea? Emotion?... The unfairness of not understanding was causing him to glitch in his internal circuits, disconnecting his primary functions from the rest of Squadron 9. He was supposed to be on a raid near some caves but he was too distracted by the song piece he found to really pay attention.

Adam 531 was still glitching and searching through his records when a strong heat signature caught his eye.

Back in full Fight Mode he ceased his thinking and rushed to the source.


****


“We can't fight them all ourselves. You should go Michael before more of them come.” said a tired, tanned, tall, dark brown haired Jason, panting in exhaustion from the battle.

“I will not leave without you.” growled Michael, not believing that Jason would expect him to leave.


To the plasti watching them from the cave entrance it looked like they were locked in battle for a long time judging by the number of other plastis and half-breeds that were on the floor, broken in pieces. The automatic Kill was set in Adam 531 and before both men knew it, a large spear went through the chest of one man and into the other, locking them together in a death grip, staring into the eyes of the other.

In shock, Jason took one second to see his friend bleeding and sank to the ground.

All of his fears were becoming real before his very eyes...


“To have found you at last, only to lose you again.” Jason whispered, crying in painful sorrow, not really feeling his own physical pain.

“Look at me Jason... Look at me!” yelled Michael. “I'd rather die with you than to face eternity alone.” he cried, gulping down air to hang on just a little longer so that his final breath was in the arms of his friend. “At least...we got to learn that... in love and death we don't decide.” he whispered between gasps to Jason, his skin already turning cold. He reached out and held Jason in his arms one last time, got as close to his ear and confessed, “I've always loved you Jason...”

With shaking hands Jason reached up to Michael's face, kissed him once on the lips and said, “I've always loved you too...”


Plastic blue eyes watched as the two men shared one chaste kiss while twin tears traveled down their faces, their bodies shaking from the extreme blood loss...

Heat slowly dissipating...

Heartbeats fading to silence...

And then... finally...

One final breath was heard in the cavern while brown and hazel eyes dimmed into each other, faces locked in a calm expression of peace.


****

One violent electric glitch caused Adam 531 to fully detach from the rest.

He crashed on his knees and disengaged his automatic kill to never activate again. For the first time since... well, since he was able to remember he fully understood what all of his reading meant. That morning he didn't return to Central 101. Instead he stayed in the cavern paying tribute to Love when he had found the rest of the song that had awoken his human intelligence among their belongings. He buried them, and on their graves he wrote the first poem ever written by an artificial being:


They were destined to burn.

They didn't last the night.

But the last love on Earth

was destined to shine.


September 22, 2020 06:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Charles Stucker
01:26 Oct 01, 2020

Its not like the surrounding- It's =It is As he walked he thought about his old squadron.- As he walked, he thought Interesting take on emergence of awareness among artificial intelligence. Clever to use it to frame a platonic romance between two warriors, close through shared danger and survival. Unless the "lyrics" are yours or out of copyright, you need to be very careful about their use. Other than that, this was a great story.

Reply

Luz Andara
18:00 Oct 01, 2020

Thank you very much! I heard the song and automatically thought about this story. By the way, about copyrights, I have read on various websites that as long as you give credit to the source it's ok to use lyrics in writing but I have no idea where to verify that. Can you help on that? Thank you very much for your input!

Reply

Charles Stucker
20:33 Oct 01, 2020

I've read that title are fully OK. Also, if you don't monetize it's a lot more lenient. But, the only safe way to quote lyrics for a magazine (if you were selling) is to send a letter to the IP owner and get explicit permission. The song, "I come from a land down under" by Man at Work had a small flute solo taken from a song so old everyone thought it was out of copyright- but it was owned by a merger group which brought rights to all sorts of things and nobody who owned noticed for decades. When someone did, a legal battle ensued. Then end ...

Reply

Luz Andara
22:41 Oct 01, 2020

Ok😁😁 thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.