0 comments

Adventure Contemporary LGBTQ+

Danielle sat alone on the tan wooden bench checking off her list; it was crisp outside, a cold 28 degrees Fahrenheit, so she felt lucky to be near a heater. As she makes her way down the sunshine yellow paper pad to go through her checklist, she smells something. She hadn’t eaten yet and this was her chance to do so before her station was called. The scents of cinnamon sugar, fakery queso dip, and salty goodness lured her in. She practically floated her way over to the soft pretzel stand. 

“Hi! One order of cinnamon pretzel sticks, one order of cheesy bites and a bottle of water please!” 

“Sure. That’ll be $12 please.” 

Once she pays, she thanks the cashier and stands off to the side so as to not be in anyone’s way, luggage in hand, realizing she has no idea where she’s supposed to go. She puts the water bottle in the cylinder compartment of her tall light blue luggage bag and begins to eat. She sits down on the very bench she started at. 

“Station A, Oshawa to Toronto, One Way 12:30 PM” she reads off her ticket information to herself. 

“So, I go… left? Maybe?”, she thinks to herself. She realizes it’s noon and she wants to make sure she gets to the right place at the right time. She throws out her empty containers and starts heading left. She isn’t paying much attention to her surroundings since she’s so focused on going the right way. The floral mural only catches her attention for a split second, she wishes she had more time to admire the beautifully painted tan walls or the way every person is going somewhere completely different, or-… Her thoughts trail off as *thud*. 

“Oh my gosh, I’m sorry! Are you okay?” 

“I’m fine! You, ok?” 

“Yeah, fine thanks.” 

“You look a little perplexed. Need some direction?” 

“Yes, please. This is my first time coming to this station. I have a 12:30 one-way to Toronto. I’m heading out to visit some friends for the weekend before my business trip.” 

“Ah, nice! I’m headed to Toronto too. Business and seeing friends also. Would you like to walk together? I’ll show you where it is.” 

“That would be lovely uh...” 

“Oh, I’m sorry! My name is Emmie. And yours?” 

“Danielle.” 

“Nice to meet you!” 

“Likewise.”

 They walk next to each other, Emmie sort of in front guiding Danielle. 

“This station is so lovely. The floral murals, the paintings, the high ceilings… It truly is a piece of art.” 

“Agreed...I wish we had more time to admire it all…” 

“Me too… And hey, thanks for helping me!” 

“No problem.” 

“Would you…?” 

“Like to sit together on the train?” 

“Yes. That would be fun, and helpful.” 

Just as Danielle agrees, a huge whistle blows, and a taupe train comes steaming out from the tracks. 

“Station A 12:30 PM one way to Toronto and Station B 12:30 with multiple stops through Toronto are now loading. Again, that’s Stations A and B 12:30 PM Station A one way to Toronto and Station B multiple stops through Toronto are now loading.” 

“That would be us!” 

“Yep, that’s us.” 

They grab their luggage and head onto the train together.

The blue-speckled cushioned seats and the tall silver handrails sit all in a row. They decide to sit next to each other in the booth seats. They put their luggage on the plastic table set in front of them. They see lots of other people begin to load onto the train. People with children, people alone, couples, and families, Danielle begins to wonder where everyone is going. The conductor goes over safety procedures over the mic and the train is set to move shortly. Danielle feels herself become anxious; her leg starts to shake.

“Are you okay Danielle?” Emmie asks. 

“Um oh, yeah… fine…” 

“You don’t seem fine.” 

“I just get nervous on public transportation. It makes me feel so… out of control. It makes my anxiety act up.”

“Oh, I see. I’m sorry. Is there anything I can do?” 

“Maybe I’d feel better if we watched a movie or something during the ride." 

“Sure, whatever would help.” Emmie rests her hand on Danielle’s shoulder but suddenly stuns herself realizing she’s touching someone who is almost a stranger without asking first. 

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to…” 

“It’s okay… I prefer to be comforted.” Emmie gives her a small smile and starts to rub her arm softly as the train leaves the station. The convulsing and banging of the train makes Danielle feel unsafe. She stares into the void just waiting for it to be over. 

Emmie grabs her phone and asks what movie Danielle wants to watch. 

“Stuck In Love”. It’s my comfort movie.” 

“Sure, I’ll pull it up.” They start watching the movie and Danielle’s worries seem to wash away. The train settles and before they know it, they’ve made it to Toronto. As they arrive at the new station, duller in color than the last, but just as vast, Danielle thanks Emmie for her help and they exchange numbers. 

“Oh! I see my friend. I'll catch up with you later on!

“No problem… Hey uh, I actually was just going to walk from here to my Air BNB, mind if a tag along with you guys? If not it’s fine but it’s sort of a long walk and-" 

“No problem. I’m sure they won’t mind.” They walk together to meet their ride.

“Hey, Emmie! Who’s your new friend?” 

“Oh, Syla this is Danielle! She needed help finding her way around. We ended up on the same train and decided to sit together. Is it okay if she comes with us so we can drop her off at her Airbnb, so she doesn’t have to walk or pay for a cab?” 

“Oh, sure! Nice to meet you, Danielle! Hop in.” 

“Thank you so much Syla, it’s nice to meet you too.” They put on the GPS and head out on the main road to the Airbnb which is about a 15-minute drive from the train station. They pass lots of trees and nice small houses: “Wow I haven’t been to this end of Toronto in a while!” Danielle says excitedly. 

“It sure is pretty here; even though we are only a little ways out from the city, it’s nice and quiet at this end of town”, says Emmie 

“Here we are! Safe and sound.”, says Emmie. No one wanted the car ride to end; they were having so much fun together. 

“Thanks, guys so much for the ride!”  says Danielle graciously.

“No problem,” Syla says. 

“Our pleasure. Hey, Danielle… Let me walk you to the door.” 

“Oh, thanks so much!” Emmie walks next to Danielle helping her with her luggage as they make their way to the door. 

“Thanks again! This was super fun.” 

“No problem.” 

“Hey uh, If you’re free… No pressure. Did you want to grab some food together on Friday night, just us?” Danielle asks. 

“Sure, I’d be down,” says Emmie, trying to contain her excitement knowing she was just about to ask the same thing. 

“Cool! I’ll text you tomorrow after I get settled in. I have a business meeting in the morning, but I’m free after that. I have a couple of friends staying here with me too, they should be here by tonight.” 

“Yeah, that works for me! I’d love to meet your friends too if that’s cool. I could even bring Syla; they love meeting new people.” 

“Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun! See you then” They give each other big smiles then Emmie walks back to the car. 

“Wow, you guys must’ve had a lot to talk about! I don’t mind waiting at all, but you just met the girl today!” says Syla trying to play it cool. 

“Oh, come on Sy, you know me, I make fast friends… plus, she’s… really cute and sweet.

We’re going out to eat on Friday night, just her and I, but you’re invited to pre-dinner drinks at the Airbnb so we can meet her friends!” 

“Damn girl, you know how to flirt. That was fast… I think I need to take some advice from you. I don’t wanna stay single forever.” 

“Sy, it’s just food and making new friends! Sure, she’s adorable but I don’t wanna move too fast, and you’re right we did just meet, but I’d like to get to know her better. And you’ll find someone, I can be your wing woman! If there are any cute people at the meet-up, I’ll hook you up! Sound good?” 

“Sounds like a plan to me.” 

The pair head back to Syla’s house to unpack, all the while Emmie is wondering what Danielle thinks of her. Whether or not she was too bold, too nice, or maybe even not nice enough… her thoughts start to spiral as she gets a surprise text. 

“Hey, Emmie! Danielle here😊 Thank you again for today. You really helped me out and I had a lot of fun! Let me know what time works for you on Friday so we can meet each other’s friends and get some time to ourselves too. Thank Syla again for me too.” 

Emmie’s worries seem to wash away at that moment. 

“Hi! 😊 No problem. 3:00 is good for me if that works for you and your friends. Sy says you’re welcome!” Emmie smiles as she hits send, realizing just how much she already likes Dani. 

“Hey Em! Wanna order Postmates? On me tonight! You got the last one.” Sy shouts from the kitchen. “Yeah, sure! Chinese?” Emmie replies.

 “Yep! You know me too well!” Emmie scurries into the kitchen to meet Syla and place their orders. 

“Yo, Danielle texted!”

“That was quick!” 

“A little.” 

“Do you think she likes me?” asks Emmie shyly. 

She acts collected but her anxiety can get the best of her. 

“Em? Are you for real? She asked YOU out! Plus, you’re a catch, girl. Anyone would be damn lucky to have you.” 

“Thanks, Sy. You always know what to say.” 

They place their order and put on a movie patiently waiting for their food. Danielle is at her Airbnb greeting her friends and explaining her day to them. 

“Oh, she’s so cute you guys… I may or may not have asked her out to dinner Friday night?” 

“Dani no way!” 

“That’s awesome!” her friends say at the same time words overlapping. 

“Yeah… Do you think she likes me?” 

“Are you kidding? She said yes to going out on Friday night, with you, alone! She comforted you on the train, offered you a ride, AND helped you to the door? Come on Dani don’t be so underconfident here.” 

“You’re beautiful and so much fun! Any girl is lucky to have you as a friend, or more than that.” 

“You know your worth!” 

“Thanks, guys. I needed to hear that. My anxiety gets the best of me sometimes." 

They both gush to their friends about each other impatiently waiting for Friday night, knowing this could very well be the beginning of something neither of them saw coming. 

October 21, 2022 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.