A Guide to Eye Rolling, Blushing, and Interruptions

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

137 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult

“Leo? Leo! Where is that kid…” Raiza called out. Leo took a deep breath.

“I’m right here!” Raiza smiled as Leo walked outside, clutching something behind his back. It was a rose, and he was holding it so tight, he was sure the thorns were probably cutting his skin open. But he was too numb to feel anything. “What ya got there?” She smiled, her hazel eyes catching in the light. Leo had to remind himself to breathe as his heart fluttered nearly out of his chest. 

“You’ll have to wait and see,” he said, playfully smirking. Raiza rolled her eyes, still smiling. 

“Aw, come on. Show me.”

“Close your eyes then.” She rolled her eyes again before obliging. Leo neared her and tucked the bud behind her ear, his skin tingling where it touched hers. “You can open them again.” Her eyes fluttered open. Her face flushed slightly, as Leo was still very close to her. For some reason though, she didn’t really mind.

“Well?”

“Hm?”

“What is it?”

“Oh, a rose, it’s behind your ear now.” A smirk made its way onto his face. 

Is it no-”

“Leo! There you are, sweetheart!” Raiza stumbled at the sudden interruption, nearly falling facefirst onto the ground. Luckily, Leo was there, and he caught her midway. He flashed her a quick smirk before she stood upright, and his own cheeks turned dark red as he turned to see his mom standing at the doorway. 

“Hey, mom.”

“Honey. Raiz, so nice to see you. You’re heads clearing up a bit I hope?”

“Oh! It’s nice to see you to Ms. Thornton. Yes, thank you.” She stole a quick glance at Leo for courage as she spoke.

“Well, I was just wondering if you two wanted a snack? Some berries or something?”

Leo clenched his teeth. “No, mom, we’re fine, thanks though.”

“Alright, then.” His mom looked from Leo to Raiza and Leo to Raiza before she smiled and shut the backyard door behind her, leaving them alone once again.

They looked into each other’s eyes and burst out laughing, so much that they were doubled over and clutching their stomachs within two seconds.

They finally calmed down and Leo pointed to Raiza’s hand, in which she held a small brown paper bag.

“What’s in there?”

“Oh, it’s the whole reason I came,” she elbowed him, “While your company is, of course, valuable, I wasn’t just going to come and sit. He blushed but quickly concealed it with his trademark smirk as Raiza handed him the bag.

“It’s just some stuff I thought we could burry in your backyard and look back on when we’re older.” 

Leo furrowed his brows jokingly. “Assuming we even still know each other you mean?”

Raiza rolled her eyes. “Yes. And if we don’t, you can keep this stuff I guess.” Leo stuffed his hand into the bag and pulled out a miniature drum set, smaller than the palm of his hand. His mouth dropped open as he traced his fingers over the details in the model. 

“Wh-”

“It’s to represent your love for drums or whatever…” Raiza looked down shyly. Leo set the model back in the bag and pulled out one of those foam food things they put in displays. Naturally, it was a blueberry. He smirked and dropped it back in the bag. There were a few other things, but he felt he wanted to keep it a surprise for when they opened it in the future.

Because they would still know each other, he was sure of it.

“Why my backyard? Yours is so much bigger.”

“Well I thought here we’d get less interruptions considering you have no siblings, but obviously I was wrong. Turns out your mother equals my siblings.” 

“Ya know, I still haven’t met the famous siblings.” She rolled her eyes.

“Ya don’t want to, trust me.”

“Aw come on, with you as a sister, they can’t be all that bad.” Raiza bit her lip and turned away from Leo, trying and failing to hide her blush from him.

“The only thing more fun than watching you roll your eyes is watching you blush.”

“Ha-ha” Raiza rolled her eyes again. “Anyway, you got, like, gardening supplies or something?”

“Do I ever? You came to the right place Raiz. My mom has a major green thumb.”

“Wonderful. Let’s begin then!”

“Follow me!” Leo led Raiza to a small shed in the corner.

“Oh my gosh, this is-”

“Crazy? Yeah, I know. Tell that to my mom every time we go to Ikea. I guess having only one child makes you lonely enough to get obsessed with a hobby or something.” 

“Nah, if that was the case you’d be like that too. Wait- Is that how it is between you and drums?” His eyes clouded over and Raiza immediately regretted her words. “I’m so-”

“It’s fine. Really. I’m fine. Besides, I’m not lonely anymore, I have you.” He bumped her shoulder and she smiled, grateful the clouds had lifted from his eyes. 

“Well, all we need is a simple shovel I think.” Raiza dusted off her shorts. Leo grabbed a couple of shovels from beside the door of the shed and closed it back. 

“Pick a spot.” He said, gesturing widely with his arms. Raiza walked to a spot where there was slightly shorter grass and pointed to the ground.

“Here should be good. Hand me a shovel.” He did, his hand slightly lingering by hers for a couple of seconds before he let go. If Raiza noticed, she made no comment. She started digging, dirt staining her skin and socks until she had a hole about 2 inches deep. She wiped the sweat from her brow and looked over to where Leo stood, smirking as usual.

“What?”

“What?”

“Come on you know what, why're you smirking at me?”

“There’s no reason,” he shrugged, his smirk unwavering.

“There’s always a reason.” He walked closer to her.

“You’ve got dirt on your cheek.” She rolled her eyes and rubbed her hand across her right cheek.

“Nope. Other side.”

“Oh my-” She wiped her other cheek. Leo laughed.

“Here, lemme…” He rubbed his thumb delicately across her cheek, the dirt falling away. He let his hand stay, let his eyes stare into her widened hazel ones, seeing from the corner of his eye her light pink cheeks. He smiled, a genuine smile, it wasn’t a smirk for once. She walked closer to him, stepping on his shoes because of their height difference. He cupped her cheek in his hand and bent his head closer to hers and-

“Leo! Are you out here?” Raiza scrambled to get off his shoes and Leo ran a hand through his windswept hair and his face heated up. He cleared his throat.

“Yeah mom!”

“Would you come give me a hand with this please?”

“Yeah mom. Just a sec!”

 Raiza smiled sheepishly and placed her hands in the back pockets in her jeans shorts. She bumped Leo with her elbow.

“You better go.” He put his hands on his hips.

“Yeah, I better. Don’t miss me too much!” She rolled her eyes as Leo backwardly walked inside. As soon as he was out of side she covered her face with her hands and groaned at the awkwardness. 

She had actually stepped on his shoes. 

Actually.

On purpose.

She dropped her hands to her sides as she heard Leo coming back out and had to smile at how flustered Leo looked, even if she probably looked the same.

“What’d she need help with?”

“Oh, just opening a pickle jar.” Raiza giggled. Leo cracked a smile

“It’s getting kinda windy, wanna do this later and spend the afternoon in my room?”

“Hmmm, only if you play the drums for me.”

“You got it!” And they walked inside, side by side...


October 06, 2020 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

137 comments

00:22 Oct 08, 2020

This is so cute! I love this so much!! Their relationship is so adorable and I LOVE how far they've come! Please tell me there's more!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:35 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much! You'll have to wait and seeee :)

Reply

00:04 Oct 09, 2020

Ughhhh fine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
02:28 Oct 07, 2020

Dammit Amany I thought I was too old to be shipping teenagers but you got me on board with these two I still kinda remember the blueberries story, and since Raiza is alright I'm guessing this is set sometime in the future after she gets treated. That kinda takes away the suspense of whether or not she'll survive when part 2 comes out, so I'm curious to see how you'll make it compelling (not that I doubt you will!) Anyway, you captured the sheer awkwardness of a teen romance very well, as usual. It was cute. It was sweet. It was teens ...

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:34 Oct 07, 2020

Haha, your comments ALWAYS make me smile, so thanks ^^ Yeah, it's kind of like it didn't really happen. I just missed the characters and a sequel wouldn't work too well with the prompts. Aw, thank you! Haha, hopefully. Oh, thanks! I'm trying to get better at that, a lot of people have commented on confusion. Thanks a ton :D And wonderful new bio hehe :)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:42 Oct 07, 2020

Oh lol I thought the blueberry thing he pulled out of the bag was like a memento for how she survived the blueberries Haha thanks! Vayd told me my bio made him laugh for 15 minutes straight lol

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:08 Oct 07, 2020

Lol. It was awesome can't blame him XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
02:11 Oct 07, 2020

Hey, Amany! First of all, great story! Second, I wanted to let you know that I wrote a "Zombies Sound Safer Than My Family - Part 2." You had read the first and seemed to enjoy it, so I was just letting you know that I had made a second if you wanted to check it out. :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:11 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you! Oooh, yay, I'll do that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:22 Oct 06, 2020

Your story 'Blueberries' was literally one of the first stories I read on Reedsy! I ship them so much and it was really a cute ending

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:35 Oct 07, 2020

Aw, hope it didn't disappoint! I'm glad! Thank you!

Reply

. .
03:57 Oct 07, 2020

Noo! Of course not!!! It was sooo good

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Leya Newi
21:47 Oct 06, 2020

Awwwww. So sweet and awkward! You're a wizard with romance, Amany, keep writing!

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:34 Oct 07, 2020

Awwwwww, thank you! Always ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
21:37 Oct 06, 2020

So, so, so, so...so, so, so, so, so, so CUUUUUUUUTE! Ack! I love Leo and Raiza so much, they're adorable. (And it's nice to see that Raiza's like...alive and whatever).

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:36 Oct 07, 2020

Thanks so, so, so, so, so, so, so MUCHHHH. Ack indeed they are. (or IS SHEEEEE DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
23:38 Oct 21, 2020

PLEASE tell me when the next part is coming out. There is another part isn't there?

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:53 Oct 22, 2020

Haha, not this week, sorry, the prompts don't really work for them. Next week maybe!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
01:59 Oct 22, 2020

yeah thats ok. just really liked these stories. Just saying but could you do one in the hospital? I really wanna know what happens

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:05 Oct 22, 2020

Here's a link to my Wattpad https://www.wattpad.com/user/sunnydayz224, I have a second part (under Blueberry Banter) and I'll be posting more soon. It's still a cliffhanger lol, but you get to know a little more.

Reply

C.J Dunstall
02:18 Oct 22, 2020

Yay thanks so much sunny

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
14:53 Oct 21, 2020

It’s nice to see you to Ms. Thornton. - too This felt more like tween romance. Also, no big tension, so Romance is sort of a stretch. Might want to change the tags a bit. Since it's too late to add romantic tension. It is very nice, and you manage dialogue, scenes, flow, etc. with your usual panache. Perhaps it's just too laid back for my taste.

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:04 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you! Okay, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Grey
01:07 Oct 20, 2020

nyeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:07 Oct 20, 2020

Huh?

Reply

Skyler Grey
15:03 Oct 20, 2020

that's my strange way of saying i like this

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:11 Oct 20, 2020

Ah, ok, then thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
19:37 Oct 19, 2020

OHMYGOSH THIS IS TOO FREAKING CUTE YOU ARE TOO TOO TOO GOOD AT COMING UP WITH FLUFFY ADORABLE ROMANCE AAAAHHHH K, I'm done. For now, anyway. I feel terrible for hopping aboard the wrirates gang and talking with Rhonny, Aerin, Orenda, and Vayd so so much but never talking to you. So here I am. First of all, I'm going to do a commentary on that lovely bio of yours. K? **I really want to write something longer than a short story like a novella but I have no ideas yet...** ~ YES MY FRIEND, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD! LIKE, NOW! I wish I wer...

Reply

00:17 Oct 20, 2020

GOSH THAT WAS LONF

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
22:00 Oct 06, 2020

Wow, it's great to hear that the blueberries didn't do much poisoning to Raiza (Fortunately) They make such a cute couple, I do hope you will continue to make a series out of this! :( I can't promise I would be the first to read it, but I certainly make sure I have commented twice on it!

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:35 Oct 07, 2020

Welll, ya never know! This was sorta a spinoff, not really directly related to same story, but I had to put it in. Haha, no worries, I will. :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:31 Oct 07, 2020

:-) Yes, we'll never know!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
01:36 Oct 23, 2020

Amany, I was looking at my followers because I'm bored(hehe) and I read your bio. Two things- LOUIS PARTRIDGE IS SO HOT HE@FHIEBUCIUWCUEWNNQEIUBCI@NEUn I'm super interested in Japan too! I love reading about tourism places in Tokyo, and I would love to live there some day. Cherry trees are so pretty. :D

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:13 Oct 23, 2020

I always do that hehe. Yes. He is. Yup! ;D

Reply

Megan Sutherland
04:35 Oct 24, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
07:29 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Amany! Just wanted to ask you if you share your Wattpad profile link! I keep on losing it, and I spent an hour trying to find it buried in my comments and my notifications but I couldn't. Do you mind sharing it again? Sorry!

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:06 Oct 19, 2020

Oh, yeah, no worries! https://www.wattpad.com/user/sunnydayz224

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:29 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
01:14 Oct 18, 2020

Amany, I love this story! The title is really amazing too! How did you come up with it? I think that Leo and Raiza's relationship is just so cute! Nice job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:16 Oct 19, 2020

Thanks! Oh, gosh, the title? Well, I guess I sorta thought about the main parts of my story. I'm glad you like it, I find titles to be one of my weaknesses in writing. Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
03:54 Oct 17, 2020

Aww! That was an adorable story!

Reply

Amany Sayed
04:56 Oct 17, 2020

Aw, thanks so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:09 Oct 14, 2020

I'm not typically a fan of romance, but this was good. It was short enough that it held my interest, and accurately captured the way teens tend to talk to one another. The tension is just right--it holds throughout the whole story, but the ending is also satisfying.

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:43 Oct 14, 2020

Thanks so much, Caden! Yay, I'm so glad!

Reply

16:14 Oct 14, 2020

Yeah, I've never written romance, but one of these short stories might be the right medium to try it. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
03:33 Oct 12, 2020

Hey Amany, I can't wait for your next Rio sequel, please tell me when it's posted!

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:46 Oct 12, 2020

I will!!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
12:46 Oct 12, 2020

Great! Can't wait!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
06:31 Oct 07, 2020

Awe this is a sweet little romance :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:25 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:31 Oct 06, 2020

Ooooh, great story! It was awkward and funny. I loved it!

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:34 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

04:01 Oct 07, 2020

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:01 Oct 07, 2020

Hey, have you joined AllPoetry? You were talking to Aerin about it but I wasn't sure if you actually joined.

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:07 Oct 07, 2020

No, I don't really like the platform.

Reply

17:01 Oct 07, 2020

Oh, ok! Well if you do decide to join let me know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
21:07 Oct 06, 2020

Noiceeeeeee! Lovely. And awkward. Lol, it was great:)

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:34 Oct 07, 2020

Haha, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.