0 comments

Fantasy

" Julia, you cannot have minors trialing the new drink series...whether they are your cousins or not it is simply not allowed. I refuse to have the council sniffing around my establishment for the second time this week! They are already suspicious because of that food poisoning case, a case that is your fault by the way."

" My fault?! How is it my fault that you hired Andre? Just because I am related to him doesn't mean I am responsible for his horrendous cooking skills or dodgy certifications!"

Ralph sighed in exasperation as he watched the 5ft nothing pixie animately gesture in anger towards him. It had barely been a month yet he was already regretting his choice to take over 'Bonum's cafe'. He wouldn't call himself discriminatory, he was perfectly fine with the supernatural race. Afterall, they had been co existing peacefully with humans for centuries...it was only within the last decade that they had made their existence known and properly intergrated into modern society.

However working with them in close quarters was another situation in itself. The cafe ' Bonum's' had been one of the most popular cafes in Sydney for years and it's reputation preced itself. After his last job had fallen through rather suddenly due to the resturant's surprise closure he had been rather desperate for any type of hospitality management role. At seeing the 'Cafe Manager' position advertised for the famous cafe he jumped at the opportunity and was hired within the week. Of course, although he hated to admit it to himself he wasn't sure if he would have taken the position if he knew that a supernatural family owned the premise.

It wasn't that they were bad people, they were just different. The cultural contrasts while amusing alot of the time were actually quite stressful in the work environment. This key moment being another prime example. While the grandfather, the figurehead of the family was recovering from a recent heart surgury they had hired him to manage the cafe yet kept all the same staff...which all just happened to be family members. 

In previous roles he had been very strict on the 'no fraternising or family members in the workplace' rule...that regulation was all but thrown out the window here. This was why on a rainy Saturday afternoon he was currently watching his evening shift staff try the new seasonal cocktail range instead of setting up for the night.

" Are you even listening to me Ralph? They're technically hundreds of years old in my culture yet just because of our different aging processes the government has deemed them 'underage' until they reach 20 years old in human years...that's 2000 years in our lifetime, a long time to not be classified as an adult. "

Ralph struggled to contain an annoyed sigh as he internally chatised himself for working up the already moody pixie. While Julia was definitly one of the best bartenders he had ever met thanks to her incredible multitasking abilities, skill for cocktail creation and...well her dazzling mystical beauty which always brought in the tips; her ability to manage her family members and even her own emotions was less than ideal. 

Pinching the bridge of his nose he counted to ten internally as the petite rose haired woman spun on her toes and headed towards her younger cousins. Conversing with them in their native language she poured herself a glass of the neon amber liquid, throwing a few pieces of lemon into the cup as she smirked and walked back towards him, her brilliant emerald eyes sparkling in mischief. 

" Try it Ralph."

Glaring back at his second in charge he took a light sniff of the pecuilar looking concotion. The last time he had tried one of her creations he had slept for almost 16 hours, he hadn't done that since his hungover university days...it had also been several days prior and he still had a slight headache from it.

" I promise, it's human friendly okay. You weren't meant to drink the last mix it was for my brother...besides these are all non alcoholic, it will be more popular with the younger crowd. Starbucks have gained popularity with their specific seasonal ranges, we should try it as well."

He grunted in agreement, as much as he hated to admit it she had a point. Sipping at the almost luminant liquid he struggled not to gulp the delicious creation down in one sitting. It was like Autumn liquified...an Australian Autumn.

It was the subtle pumpkin spice brought over from western culture mixed in with the potency of freshly picked apples. It was the liquified scent of recent rain and the turning of the leaves. It was the gentle mix of various juices that made the drink almost sickly sweet yet was saved by the tartness of the added lemon and the subtle traces of mint within the watery liquid.

" How do you do this Julia? How?"

He questioned, a little awed as he forced himself to put down the drink. The drink may not have been alcoholic but if the hyped up energy of his workers over by the bar was anything to go by he really did not need a sugar hangover as well as an actual one...he wasn't as young as them and definitly wasn't as hardy.

Remaining silent the woman simply shrugged at him, a knowing smirk on her face as she flounced back over to the bar and started rapidly addressing her cousins. Hitting them with a rolled up hand towel as she began to polish glasses and get them started for the evening. 

" Make an alcoholic range as well Julia, adults deserve some fun too. Besides, maybe the sugar and alcohol will counteract and make us all sober."

The sudden banging,clanging and muffled shouting originating from the kitchen indicated that the rowdy bunch of chefs that made up the cooking team had arrived...late as per usual but they had arrived which was a miracle in itself.

" Julia, make a Vodka based one and leave it on my desk...your brother had just arrived."

Not waiting around for an answer he headed towards the racket...whether he was ready or not another night had begun at 'Bonum's'.

October 10, 2020 11:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.