AND WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Mystery

           I have lived in my neighborhood for over 20 years. During that time I have seen for sale signs put up, and then taken down, families coming and going. Since I walk a lot, I have gotten to know, mostly by sight, many of the people who live in my neighborhood. Some I know by name, most just to say a hello as we pass on the sidewalk. With a lot walking their dogs, I stop and say hello to their dogs as well. I know the names of many of their dogs. I love dogs. My little dog passed away a few years ago, so I get to love a dog every time I go for a walk. So, when I saw (not for the first time) a person I did not recognize, I definitely was curious. I don’t recall having seen anyone moving out or any homes for sale, but that doesn’t mean someone hasn’t moved in with a family member, or someone visiting for a length of time. I was never close enough to this person to get a good look, but I know it was a man. He walked upright and with purpose. I would notice this person as he would be farther down the sidewalk from me and when I got to the corner, he was nowhere in sight. Mysterious. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I love a mystery. 

           A few times I would ask another walker if they had seen this mysterious person and did they know who he was. I mentioned that he always wore a long coat, either black or gray, and a hat, no matter the weather. I got the same answer. No. They said as they would be walking they would see this person, and by the time they got to the corner, he was nowhere in sight. Mysterious! Being the mystery buff I am, I took it upon myself to keep a record of the times of day I saw him and on which street. I didn't just see him in the morning, I also saw him in the afternoon and some evenings. It was so varied. Another neighbor, who lives a few streets over, is also a mystery buff and agreed to also keep a record of the sightings of this mysterious person. It definitely made going for walk interesting.   I wouldn’t want to miss a day. This neighbor and I would meet up every couple of days to compare notes and sometimes we would walk together, and when we saw him we could split up and hopefully one of us would be able to see which house he went into.

           Because of my curiosity, I would be stopped by people I have never met and he or she would fill me on what they saw.  It turned into a neighborhood activity. Someone even suggested that I ask our mail deliverer if she had seen this mysterious man and if she knew where he lived. She said that she had seen him, but had never seen him enter any house.

           It came time for our neighborhood block party. Us mystery buffs thought we may actually meet this person; we were hoping he would come. The one other neighbor who teamed up with me suggested that we have other neighbors strategically posted at each end of the block. This way if this mysterious man decided to join the party, one of us would have seen him, and would be able to get word to myself and my co-mystery buff. Days leading up to the block party were busy. There was signage to put up and plans to be finalized. The tables had been ordered. Several neighbors will bring their BBQ’s. It was going to be a great party; if the weather holds out. Still, during my walks I have seen the mysterious man. At one time I was quite close to him, but before I could hurry to catch up with him, another neighbor’s dog got loose, and I helped catch it. By that time the mysterious man was gone. So close. Maybe next time.

           My co-mystery buff said he saw the mysterious man reading one of the block party posters. But, as he was walking towards him, the mysterious man started walking on. My friend tried to follow him, but couldn’t keep up unless he ran, which he cannot do, since he had knee surgery. Foiled again. Meanwhile, the block party date is looming. We’ll keep our eyes open.

           I walk for several reasons: one is for exercise, and while I am getting my exercise, I am thinking about the story I am currently working on. I find I can get a lot of thinking done while walking. Sometimes I am in my own little world. Like the other day, I was so intent on my thinking that I almost walked into the mysterious man. All I heard was “excuse me”. By the time I came to my senses he was turning the corner. I could have kicked myself for losing this opportunity. If I was more aware I would have seen him face to face. Darn it. I must say he had a very pleasant voice. I can’t wait to tell my co-mystery buff. I was that close.

           It’s block party day. Now may be our chance to discover who this mysterious man is. There is quite a turn out. More people than in past years. I attribute it to the beautiful weather, not too hot, but warm enough to not have to wear a jacket or sweater. Maybe the mysterious man will come minus his coat and hat. Here’s hoping. My co-mystery buff friend and I have a lot of people to look around for that mysterious man. It helps that the man we are looking for is taller than most. My friend started at one end of the block and me the other end, and we plan to meet in the middle. So far we hadn’t seen him, but it was early yet. We stopped to eat and will resume our search afterwards. After another search from end to end, we decided to give up, clearly he wasn’t coming. As soon as the cleanup was completed, I looked up and to my surprise, there he was. He smiled and introduced himself. He is no longer the mysterious man.

July 16, 2021 02:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cindy Joyner
11:48 Jul 22, 2021

Shelly, I really enjoyed your story! There are some small grammar errors. Love the building of mystery throughout.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.