38 comments

Crime Fantasy Thriller

Her fist shot out, connecting with the side of his head. He staggered back, clutching his ear.

“What’s your problem?” The local superhero, Windstorm, complained.

She backed away from him, keeping a hand on the bag over her shoulder. “My problem? You just tried to kill me!” 

Alexis was wearing all black, but no mask like most thieves. Her long black hair was in a neat braid. 

 “Well, why are you robbing a bank?” He asked, rubbing his ear.

She frowned. “None of your business.”

“I think that it is my business.” He said, standing up, and putting his fists on his hips. He looked impressive until he started to walk to her. He tripped, and fell in front of her, knocking himself out.

“I thought you said he wouldn’t be here.” Alexis said with a snort. Literally anybody else was better than him.

“Well, excuse me for not knowing the future.” Damien snapped. 

Alexis scowled at his sarcasm. He couldn’t see her, of course. He was waiting somewhere as her getaway driver. She was wearing an earpiece, and he could hear everything that happened. He had access to the building's cameras, too, so he could see her as well.

“Where are you?” She asked, stepping over the so - called hero. 

She could hear typing. “Top of the building.”

“Why the top floor?”

“Figure it out, Al.”

She cursed under her breath, going out the vault door. The place was supposed to be empty, so she figured it couldn’t hurt to take the elevator.

She walked down the hallway, but heard something coming from the other side of the building.

“Damien, who is it?” She asked, starting to jog.

He was silent for a moment, then said, “Werewolves.”

She cursed again. Why did they always get sent after her? Did they want them killed?

Alexis was a thief. After a lab experiment went wrong, there were werewolves living in the town. The police managed to train them, and used them to catch thieves. She, however, was too good to get caught. 

With the elevator no being an option, she headed to the stairs. She opened the door, and saw someone waiting for her on the steps.

“Splendid.” She muttered, reaching for her weapon.

“Hi there.” He said. “I’m sorry but you’re going to have to be arrested.”

She sighed. “Listen, you know that’s not going to happen. Now move, or I’ll have to make you.”

“Sorry, I can’t do that-”

She pulled out her knife, and his eyes widened. 

“Please don’t kill me, please don’t kill me, please don’t kill me, please don’t kill me.”

 She snorted, hopped over him, and went up the staircase. Some of the wolves were real scardycats. The stairs stopped one story up, which confused her.  

“Damien, what’s with the stairs?” She asked. She could see the other door across the hallway, and started towards it.

“The building is made so that it’s difficult to steal. The stairs are on separate sides to make it harder.”

She rolled her eyes. “That’s just what I need.”

“Lucky you, then. By the way, there's a wolf headed your way.”

She kept walking till she heard someone drop onto the ground behind her. She heard a growl, and sighed. 

She moved to the side as someone lunged at her. They tumbled to the ground, but got up immediately.

She frowned. He was quicker than most. But not quicker than her.

He charged towards her, reaching for the bag. She kicked him in the stomach, sending him into the wall. He groaned, clutching his side, but got to his feet. She growled, and smacked his head with the side of her blade.

As soon as he fell, she sprinted down the hall. She could hear him get up behind her, and threw open the door to the stairs. She slammed it door shut, but spun around quickly, hearing someone behind her.

“Surprise.” He snarled, leaping from the railing. He tackled her, claws out, but she rolled over, pinning him to the ground, her hand tight around his throat. He growled, and kicked her stomach hard. She fell back, and he was on her in a second. They fought, stabbing and clawing at each other, until she brought her head up, smacking her forehead against his. He dropped to the side, out cold. 

Breathing hard, she staggered to her feet, leaning against the wall for support. “How - how many stories are there?”

“Two more. And, uh, Al?” 

“Yeah?” She started up the staircase.

“You’re kinda bleeding.” 

She glanced down, and saw her shirt was ripped. When did that happen? It wasn’t deep, and on the side of her stomach. She touched it lightly, then winced. There wasn’t much blood, she’d be able to get to the roof.

“I’ll be fine.” She told him, pushing open the door.

He snorted. “Sure you will. Two in that hallway.”

“Thanks.”

She walked down, waiting for the attack. She saw them hiding in the shadows, and they jumped out at her. She stopped, and they both ran into the wall, knocking themselves out. She rolled her eyes at how stupid they could be, walking over them.

“Just so you know,” Damien said. “The last staircase is really long.”

“That’s it. I’m taking the elevator.” She muttered.

The electricity worked fine, and the elevator doors opened. She stepped inside, pressing the button for the roof. 

Suddenly the lights went out. Alexis heard something above her, then a thump of someone hitting the ground, followed by several others. One grabbed her arm, but she wrenched away. She could barely see the silhouette of the wolves as they surrounded her.

“Alexis?” Damien said. “The lights went out, what happened?”

She didn’t answer.

“Alexis?”











------------


“I’m fine, mom.” Alexis said into the phone. Her mother was always worrying. “It’s just a little scratch, I’ll be fine, really. Okay. Love you too. Bye.”

Damien, who was driving, glanced at her. “Are you ever going to tell me how you got out of there?”

“Nope.”


November 17, 2020 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

17:09 Dec 23, 2020

I loved the interaction with Windstorm in the beginning! I would have liked to have more context for the burglary and the character's relationships with each other. More descriptions of the werewolves would have also been nice, knowing more about the science-experiment-gone-wrong would have been helpful. Since you claimed that the police had managed to "train" the werewolves, it would have been interesting to hear them described in a more animalistic and wild light while still having them fight to complete their mission. The amount of char...

Reply

Ari Berri
17:30 Dec 23, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! You're right, it wasn't super descriptive. I'll try to work on that in the future. I might do another story explaining about the wolves, or something like that. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucy Newman
20:33 Dec 15, 2020

I guess imagined Alexis as a speed demon of sorts, surely zipping up the steps to safety. But no, she succumbs to the elevator. Of course, she escapes. I loved the visualization of her just punching Windstorm in the head and the conversation that followed. Made me smile to myself when I was reading it. Great job, I love it!

Reply

Ari Berri
22:23 Dec 15, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
22:57 Dec 05, 2020

I pictured a series taking place in an metropolis.

Reply

Ari Berri
01:23 Dec 06, 2020

That's what I thought, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Cloud
01:48 Nov 28, 2020

This was a fun story! I liked where you brought the werewolves in. It surprised me!

Reply

Ari Berri
03:43 Nov 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. S.
23:04 Nov 25, 2020

Amos Kane from the Kane chronicles.

Reply

A. S.
23:07 Nov 25, 2020

Great story! I loved the ending and how we don’t actually know how she got out. It is too late to edit, but one suggestion I would make is to build your characters more. The plot line was great, but the only thing I really know about Alexis is her name and that she is a thief.

Reply

Ari Berri
23:08 Nov 25, 2020

You got it! Also, thank you. I'll definitly try to do that next time. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:17 Nov 24, 2020

Are you Hearthstone from Magnus Chase? I like this story, too! The almost cliffhanger was awesome, even if it did make me a little crazy. :)

Reply

Ari Berri
00:08 Nov 25, 2020

It is! I'm glad you like the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
20:06 Nov 23, 2020

I thought you moved the story along well, with a good attention to pacing.

Reply

Ari Berri
20:09 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you! I was worried it was too fast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
03:14 Nov 23, 2020

First of all, love the name. Major Potter fan. Anyway, my father used to be a cop, and this story seems very accurate. Great job!

Reply

Ari Berri
14:43 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
01:24 Nov 18, 2020

Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games!! By the way, the game you play with your username is really cool!! :)

Reply

Ari Berri
01:46 Nov 18, 2020

You got it! Also, thank you!

Reply

13:50 Nov 18, 2020

Wait, are we guessing what book series your name is from? Lol, I'm confuzzled...

Reply

Ari Berri
15:11 Nov 18, 2020

No, just who it is.

Reply

15:37 Nov 18, 2020

Ok, cool. 😊 I’ll start watching, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:35 Nov 19, 2020

Eric from Divergent

Reply

Ari Berri
16:39 Nov 19, 2020

You got it!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
01:59 Nov 25, 2020

Hey, I loved the story! I didn't expect the lights going out bit, but it was a good touch. Rather clean, nice way to end it. But did she get the money in the end? Maybe if she did, you can make her look at it beside her or something (it might be a bit too late to edit, though). Just a suggestion :) Overall, a great story and keep writing!

Reply

Ari Berri
03:21 Nov 25, 2020

I'm glad you liked it! It is too late to edit, but that's a great idea anyway. Thank you!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
08:55 Nov 25, 2020

No problem. Happy to help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.