Sirius Kurgari: Gemini

Written in response to: End your story with a character looking out on a new horizon.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Warning: Language

*************************************************************



"Hey, Sirius. How're you doing?" Asked Gemini, as Sirius walked down the stairs. He looked puzzled. "How'd you get the key to my place? I don't remember giving you the key." He said, beginning to make some coffee. "Oh, you didn't need to. Atlas gave me a lockpick." She explained casually. He nodded. "So you broke into my house? I guess I'll have to refresh those anti-lockpick charms." He said, readying his mug.


She shrugged. "Yeah. That was your fault for not doing it sooner. Consider it a lesson." She said, washing out a plate. Sirius rolled his eyes. "Why'd you break in? I know there's probably a good reason." She said, sipping his coffee. She nodded. "There's a new chess tournament in China. I thought I would make you some breakfast before I kicked your ass." She said, smugly.


"You do remember that when we met, I forced you into a stalemate? If I didn't feel merciful, I would have won. Don't be so cocky. You've been warned." He said, washing out his cup. "Also, where's the breakfast? That's why you came here, isn't it?" He asked. She rolled her eyes. "Not anymore." She said, smiling. He sighed.


"Oh well. You've chosen death. In chess, that is. No mercy for you." He said, sitting down again. As he sat down, an eagle flew into the room, a letter in its beak. Sirius grabbed the letter. His eyes widened as he read the letter. "What is it?" Gemini asked.


"Monochrus is signing a peace treaty with Chiri. This could end up badly, depending on the terms of the treaty." He said. "How so?" She asked.


"Chiri isn't as...progressive as other kingdoms. They're what the Nomagi would call Anti-LGBTQ, I believe. I'm going to talk to my Father about this if you want to come with." He offered, going into the next room to change. When he came out, he grabbed his wand and went towards the door. "You coming?" He asked.


"Yes. And don't you dare say it." She said, grabbing her coat. He smiled. "Say what?" He asked. She rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean, now let's go." She said. He shook his finger. "No. I want to know what you mean." He said playfully. She sighed. "I mean 'That's what she said.' Happy?" She asked. He nodded. "Cmon." He said, and they left for the castle.


"Nigel, wherein the thirteen rings of hell is Father?" He asked firmly. Nigel pointed. "He's that way." He said as he left. They two quickly ran to his Father's throne room.


"Father, are you out of your mind? Because why in the holy fuck would you sign a peace treaty with Cheri, of all things?! Do you know how vile, and corrupt their society is? Because only an idiot would think of signing." He said, his voice full of contempt.


His Father shook his head, laughing. "Why are you even here? It's not like anything you say will change my mind. Actually, it'd make me want to sign it more. Why would I listen to you, the Disgraced Prince? Once I sign it, the people of Cheri will be able to move here. In fact, Chiri is overpopulated. They'll give us the extra people." He said, laughing even harder.


"Let's go, Gem." He said as they left his Father's castle.


"I have an idea, and I need the help of the Evil Eyes," Sirius said, sitting in his home once more. She cocked her head. "Why? What are you planning?" She asked. "You killed your Father at 13. I'm asking you to help me kill mine." He said bluntly. She shook her head. "Killing him won't do anything. Nigel would take over, it's been this way since you were stripped of your royalty." She explained.


"And besides, if your Mother took over, the treaty would've been signed. There would be nothing anyone could do. But, if we leave and take the city ourselves, we would have to re-sign the treaty. If we just don't sign it, we can send the people of Cheri away. what do you think?" She asked.


Sirius shook his head. "I don't want to cause war. I think we should do it in the safest way possible. Maybe if we utilized the people...that could work. A mutiny of sorts. Actually, all we would need him to do is abdicate. I don't want to spill blood I don't have to." He said, twirling his wand between his fingers.


"But we both know the people are going to pick your Father over you if it comes to it. They see you as untrustworthy. In their eyes, he's one of the best rulers they've had. To them, you're just a disappointment to their hero. I say we take the city by force. We could start anew, and make this place even better." She said, standing up.


"If we take this place by force, and kill everyone, there won't be anyone to live here, and nobody else would trust us anymore. We should go the peaceful approach, start the change from within." He said adamantly.


She rolled her eyes at him. "Of course you would say that, you're just afraid of getting hurt." She said, her words cutting him like a knife. "I'm afraid of getting hurt? That's what you think? I'm not afraid for me, I'm afraid for them. I can't believe you would even say that. Is that how you've felt this entire time?" He asked.


"Well, it's not unwarranted! No matter what we do, from sparring to chess, you don't want to risk losing things. So you think out a plan to minimize the damage, by playing defensively. Unlike you, I don't mind losing a few people. So don't you try to take the moral high ground by saying it's for them. It's for you, and you know it. It's cowardice." She said bitterly.


"So all this time, you saw me as a coward? Someone who looks out for themselves, and doesn't care about others? That's not true. I care about you. I care about these people. I don't want them to die before their time." He said calmly but hurt.


"No, I'm saying you can act cowardly at times. This is one of them. Why do you care about these people anyway? Most of them hate you with their very soul." she asked, her temper rising.


"Because I know that no matter what people say to me, no matter what names they call me, that I'm here for the long run. So many good things have happened to me here. I found you, I found my friends. That's all that matters to me. But that doesn't mean I will let these people die. I would defend this place with my life if I had to." He said with determination.


"Damn it, Sirius! Can you not see that you can't fix this place! You can't solve this puzzle! The only way to get rid of a problem is by going for the source. Otherwise, it will come back." She said, pounding on the table with her fist.


"If you want to take the city by force, so be it. But know this; When you come, I will be there to defend them. You can try to cause change your way, and I will do mine. Yes, mine will take time, but I will still defend these people, even if the treaty is signed. That's the difference between you and me. I don't mind playing the long game. You just want to get it over with." He said, his eyes cold.


"Fine. Me end my Eyes will take this place over. And I will do what I must, no matter the cost. But we don't have to split up like this. We can stay together, despite our differences." She said, her tone softening. He shook his head.


"No, we cannot. This is too big a difference. You're planning on destroying Monochrus! So no." He said coldly.


"Please, if you just-" He interrupted her. "No, Gemini. Please get out." He said. "Please, no don't-" He pounded the table.


"Gemini Astros Bailey, get out of my house. Now. I'm sorry, but you have to leave. Goodbye." He said, flicking his wand at the door. It opened. He thought he saw her eyes well up a bit. But as Gemini walked out the door, he wondered, 'Did I make the wrong choice making her into an enemy? No matter. It's too late now.'


Sirius looked out at the horizon from his roof, knowing that he would have to either kill Gem and her friends, or that they would kill him, and Monochrus would fall. He wouldn't let either of those happen. Not if he had a choice.

February 22, 2022 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.